Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I go quite in early bow and late modern gun, and rattle and grunt in BP season, usually the peak of the rut here.

Gunner

Trump Won!
BP-B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by KEVIN_JAY
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
I occasionally fart, cough and sneeze.

Dan

Now, when you get like me, and can do all three at exactly the same time, your sucess rate will go way up!

Timing is everything when using this "trifecta" of techniques.. If it is not near perfect timing that fart could very well turn into a "shart", if you know what I mean.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I do all and all have work....
This guy fell to rattling horns after he had passed 100yds out of range killed at 25yds all bristled and agitated
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This one fell to the grunt
[Linked Image]

This one was enticed into range with a bleat
[Linked Image]

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rifle season in KS is in Dec, long after the rut. I keep a grunt call in my stand, and practice the short, quick, grunt to stop a buck if necessary, but I have never used it.

A few years back, I went deer hunting with my son on our farm. He walked to the honey hole and I set up my folding chair next to some big hay bales about 20yds from the truck. I'm sitting on my chair, with my rifle leaning on a hay bale, and my big coffee cup resting on my knee, in all of my orange glory. A doe with her fawn slipped up on me before I knew it. I sat there frozen for about 20 min with her looking straight at me from as close as 20'. She paced back and forth, just watching me, and finally just walked off with the fawn. Something that I will never forget. Life is good.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Still hunting has always been the most productive for me. I have seen 90% of my deer while still hunting.

It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world. - Thomas Jefferson
IC B2

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Originally Posted by noKnees
I am quiet except that I will do a short quiet bleat (with just my mouth/no call) to stop a deer for the shot and only if nessesary.

That's all I've done, though I have to confess, I'm still trying to learn this whitetail hunting thing. It's a bit different from moose & caribou hunting. laugh

Ed
I'll scratch your back if....

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hunting red deer in their roar (rut)is great fun. If you can get high on a ridge line and let out a good roar you often get a great response.
There's been times when I've had deer roaring back at me from two ridges across.
Sometimes you get one silently sneak in to check you out, other times it's like you have a fire breathing dragon on a string and all you have to do is keep playing the tune till he's standing on top of you.

Sika are even more fun, they'll fight anything so a halfway decent imitation of their squeal/roar can get them in fight mode instantly. They'll often charge straight in on you.

the biggest mistakes people make is:
1/ Over doing it, don't go roaring every two minutes. Best thing to do is go listen to a few stags on a farm to see how they do it.
2/ Don't try to sound like the biggest baddest deer ever bred. In a life and death fight would you rather fight a heavy weight boxer or some weedy nerd? Most sane people would choose the nerd, deer aren't stupid.

The original international turd
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
i go for the snoring in route i've opened my eyes to alot of deer over my time

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Can't tell you how many blacktails have come running to the bleat. I've rattled deer in and grunted them in.

Worry about the nose, not the noise.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Horns rattling together or against tree to draw in

IC B3

rrroae Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Worry about the nose, not the noise.

I worry about cover above everything else.

Hell, Friday I'm smoking a cigarette and a bear tried to climb my stand(well, he had his hand on the 3rd rung sniffing the steps) and later that evening had a bigger bear come within 12 yrds at a different spot after I just had another cigarette.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
they had been eating old butts and craved the nicotine

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
467 members (1Longbow, 160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 46 invisible), 2,079 guests, and 981 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,143
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.