Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My favorite boot is the Schnees Beartooth, but I have Danner Sierras as well and like them too.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
BP-B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
For the past 7 years my go to boots have been Danner pronghorn GTx made in the USA and they have been great, sorry to say their current pronghorn has changed and are made elsewhere. I keep cleaning and conditioning them hoping to get a few more years out of them

Ted
C
CKW Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
When I was doing field work as a plant ecologist, I wore out several pairs of different Danner hiking/hunting boots. In 2000 bought a pair of uninsulated Elk Hunters from Cabelas. Wore these for three summers working in western Wyoming. They are great boots, the bob sole really grips in almost all conditions (never wore them in wet mud).

BrentD, I have a pair of Meindl Perfekt Hikers that are excellent boots. Sometimes I wear them instead of the Danners, and they also seem to grip very well. But I haven't had them as long or tried them in as many places as I have the Elk Hunters.

I know from experience that the Elk Hunters with the bob soles grip better on "pucker-up" slopes than the standard Vibram lug soles I wore for years. Normally I wanted a sharp, well defined heel to help while descending steep rocky slopes, but the Danner bob sole is the best I've experienced.

"It is wise, though, to remember above all else: rifle, caliber, scope, and even bullets notwithstanding, the most important feature of successful big game hunting is to put that bullet in the correct place, the first time!" John Jobson
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
CKW,
I looked at my old Elk Hunters. They say Made in America. Great boots for sure. But the new ones are not in the list of Made in American Danners that trouthunter posted. So, the Raptors seem to be close however. They have the same bob-soles. I agree they work really really well.

The Schees are a good looking boot though. Decisions decisions...

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BC30cal
trouthunterdj;
I ran a pair of these Hood Winter Lights for years here in southern BC.

http://www.danner.com/hood-winter-lighttm-200g-hunting-boots.html

In fact I wore out the original soles and had the Danner factory repair folks up here in BC do an excellent resole job on them.

I'm not a super heavy fellow - 160lbs - so perhaps I don't go through boots as fast as a 250lb chap might? Anyway I seem to recall these giving better service than any boot I've tried until then.

For reasons that aren't entirely clear to me at this point, I bought a pair of Meindl Canada Pro boots - yes the Canadian ones and not the Cabela's ones - about 3 years ago.

To be honest I have a bit of buyer's remorse on the Meindl boots as they were a bear to break in. The Danner's were literally good to go when I left the store in Oroville, WA.

A buddy of mine bought a pair of Santiam boots about the same time as I bought the Meindl's and he's very happy with them. He spent much less than I did too....

Anyway, we hunt the south central section of BC where were in pretty rough terrain most days and although it can be wet, it isn't like the coastal jungle by any means.

Hopefully that was some use to you and good luck on your upcoming hunts this fall.

Regards,
Dwayne
When I first moved to Alaska those were the same boots I used for about 3 years but the Hood Lights I had also had a synthetic membrane on the sides which made them lighter. I'd buy them again is they are built as solidly as they were back then.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I bought a pair of china pronghorns in 07, they were junk in 08. leather ripped apart from the tennis shoe sole sick

My boots have got to be BOOTS. Made out of boot parts with boot construction. No more camo cross trainers for me.

My USA Danner elk hunters are older than the pronghorns and still going strong. I believe mine are 400 or 600 grams insulation. the elk hunters are some heavy mothers and do expect some break in time, but they are good boots.

I also have an uninsulated pair of black service boots (USA danner) and they do well for me too.

Uninsulated grouse hunter would be my preference color wise, but they come with lace eyelets to the ankle, then hooks to the top and they end with an eyelet at the very top.

Why the [bleep] do they do that??

If you are gonna do hooks with the ankle portion of the laces then go hooks all the way to the top, or just do eyelets from top to bottom.

But eyelets from the toe, then hooks.... then back to a final eyelet at the top? crazy

So I went with the black service boot which is identical to the grouse in construction but it uses eyelets from top to bottom.

I even called Danner to see if they could make me a pair of grouse hunters with either all eyelets or a set of hooks at the very top instead of the 2 eyelets at the top.

They said "No soup for you! Back of line!"

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BrentD
Originally Posted by BC30cal
I bought a pair of Meindl Canada Pro boots - yes the Canadian ones and not the Cabela's ones - about 3 years ago

What Canadian Meindl's? Meindls appear to be German and have been for over 300 yrs according to their webpage.

I'm thinking the buy from Danner direct is the best idea.

BrentD;
When I refered to "Canadian" Meindl boots it was in part linked to this thread discussing whether or not there was a difference in the boots sold in the US by Cabela's and the ones sold in Canada.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth.../1/Cabela_s_Meindls_vs_internatio#UNREAD

As far as I'm aware all Meindl boots are indeed still made in Germany.

Hopefully that clears up the statement I made, which was of course more than a little tongue in cheek. smile

Good luck in your upcoming hunts.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Huh, I just looked at danner's site.

They have a new boot that I would buy if I was in need today. USMC RAT

I'd get it uninsulated in their "hot" offering (no gortex bootie)

Something clever here.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
like the santiam gtx boots i have great for mud snow and steep climbs and in the saddle!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm on my second set of Elk Hunters. First ones lasted a good 20 yrs.(still have em for backups) I have about 6 yrs. on the new ones. Comfortable and grippy. Don't know how the brandy new ones are though.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Those Elk Hunters look very light and comfortable.

My Danner's are Quarry GTX and Fort Lewis.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My favorite Danner boot is The Super Rainforest.

Gore tex with 200 grams of Thinsulate.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Avoid the Jackal II. They are really light, really waterproof, and they ripped the [bleep] out of the back of my heels. The stitching protrudes above the back of the heel making it very rough. I had 3/4 inch diameter, quarter inch tall blister on each heel within a mile and I haven't had a blister there in decades. (If your heel bones don't protrude very far, they may be ok for you.)

My favorite Danner boots were, I believe, uncatalogged. A friend in the air force got them from the PX at Fairchild AFB. I wore them for 10 years or more, then the threads rotted out 'cause I'd trapped water in them w/ snow seal and they disintegrated on me. The tread was pretty well gone.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I've wore the Elk Hunters as my late season boot for the last 3 or 4 years. Like others have said, very high quality boot, and the Bob soles just plain work.

The two big downsides for me are the weight and ankle support. They're just too heavy considering the lack of ankle support on them.

They're a good boot, but not a backpacking boot by any means.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I believe, not 100% sure though, that Danner made the Matterhorn boots for the military. I have had good luck with those holding up. I had saved two sets of issue matterhorns and they have lasted me until just two years ago. Eighteen years aint bad for two sets of boots. Granted I wore them in the fall and winter only. I believe they also made a set of "mountain boots" for the military that were extra stiff in the ankle and the sole was cut so you could step into a cross country ski binding. I wish I still had those boots. I literally stepped on a 16 penny nail and watched it bend over. Those boots were tougher than hell.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have been using a pair of Cabela's Elk Hunters for 8 seasons now and just love them. Comfy! Mine are the 400 gm, I believe. I have a backup pair that I picked up when Cabela's was having a great sale but haven't had to go to them yet. I also have a pair of Santiams but haven't used them yet. I just don't see my current pair of Elk Hunters failing any time soon.

Cabela's still lists all 3 versions (uninsulated, 400 gm, 600 gm) as made in the USA. They're not listed on Danner's website as they're sold under the Cabela's brand.

If you get them, you will not be sorry. Just make sure to order a EE if your foot runs on the wider side. Whatever you do, avoid the imported models - if you search reviews of Danner boots, you'll find many complaints of the imported ones having issues with waterproofing and delaminating of the soles. You'll pay more for a US made boot up front, but the money is well worth it - and most of the US models can be resoled when the time comes.

Originally Posted by RED53
Some shooting knowledge: Don't stand in front of the muzzle. Some hunting knowledge: Too much noise ruins the hunt.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Went through two sets of Ft. Lewis and a Elk hunter since the early nineties. Have another set of Elk hunters about ready to go and a backup pair of Rain Forests still going strong. I have a set of desert Mendles I've ran in combat and like them a bunch. Was thinking highly of running GoreTex Mendles or Lowas for my next pair. The Brits that had both lowa and mendle always liked the lowas more. The ankle support is impressive for both.

Last edited by Rogue; 10/13/11.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by laker
I have put many miles on in my danner pronghorn boots and will be buying another pair when I wear these out

+1

About the best $150 investment I've made value-wise, and 400 gram has served me well for uses ranging from late-season muzzle loading in snow to spring turkey hunting in mud and even Wyoming pronghorn hunting in the dust, cacti, and high temps!

Close second would be the (old, Italian-made) Vasque Sundowners I bought in college... $200 and lasted longer than my hard core backpacking career (which I suppose isn't really saying much frown )

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Trouthunterdj: I have at least 10 pair of Danner boots currently - my favorites are the Antelope Hunters (for early season Hunting) and the Elk Hunters (for late season).
Best of luck with whichever model you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
695 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 76 invisible), 2,977 guests, and 1,383 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,681
Posts18,399,659
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.