Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Phil99 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
There's been lots of talk about Stith mounts this week around here. Here's some photos of a different style mount that I picked up from 300Jimmy last month. It's a Miller Kodiak Dream Mount from the 50s.[Linked Image]

The mount was advertised as being almost universal in its application, and this is almost true. It seems to fit just about any rifle that has a rear sight dovetail and side ejection. It uses a dovetail block in the rear sight dovetail (similar to a Stith) and tension from a spring steel bar to force the rear saddle down onto the receiver. Like a Stith, it requires no extra holes.

After a lot of hemming and hawing, I decided to try it on my 1930s Savage 45 Super Sporter in 30-30. Installation was pretty simple (thanks to the instructions provided by Mike and Steve). I removed the existing rear sight and tapped in the dovetail block:
[Linked Image]

Then I slid the spring steel mount over the dovetail block and pivoted the mount up and over the receiver, letting the spring tension settle the rear saddle in place:[Linked Image]

When it's in place, the mount seems really rigid, and it sits nice and square. I feared that there wouldn't be enough eye relief with the old Weaver K2.5, but even though it sits further ahead than I would prefer, it still works fine.
[Linked Image]

I just mounted this today and haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but I'm pleased with the way it looks and handles with the scope in place. I may have to take it out to the woods this season.
[Linked Image]

Rod

Last edited by Phil99; 10/13/11.

Hunting FOR Savages, Hunting WITH Savages
BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good writeup, and thanks for the info. I've seen a couple on 99's but never examined one up close.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rod, Do you have a laser bore sighter. If so, it would let you see, while looking through the scope, how well zero is held while pushing the rig around a bit.

Its a neat looking setup.

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Those are great pics! Beautiful old rifle! I'm sure it works well but it sure looks like it would wiggle around.

Phil99 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A couple more close-ups of front and rear mounts:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Rod

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
In the above picture, what is the function of the socket head cap screw on the rear base? Thanks.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Phil99 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Steve--

If I understand this correctly, this is an elevation adjustment. It probably also provides some added adjustment for use on all the various rifles the mount supposedly fits, including the Savage 99, Winchester 70 & 54, Remington 721, 14, 141, and many others.

Rod

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting, thanks.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
That turned out nice Rod. A real low mount. Didn't need the sub-base for this application right?

I would think with the amount of down pressure generated, the .30-30 won't buck that mount.

Thanks for posting the pics.

God is pursuing you America ---turn around!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rod, you can move the scope back by using that spacer that slides into the spring base ahead of the mount ring. Kapish?

I am no longer accepting orders for the Lightfoot scope mount.
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Very neat! Thanks for sharing Rod. I can't say that I ever saw one of those in the flesh.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Phil99 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Mike. I can't believe I didn't see that!

Rod

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
very cool... I actually really dig the 40/45 guns especially the 45s like yours with the extra checkering and the long prince of wales style p/g. The Kodiak looks great on their and I will be interested to hear how well it shoots.

Andrew
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rod
Dammit! That sure looks Great. I Have the Same Rifle in 300 Sav and 250! Hmmmmm,,gave me hankering to switch were i have mine on. grin Looks Super. Glad all worked well for ya and the rifle is even nicer looking all dressed up. Hopefully you have a date to take it now.
Steve

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great looking rig Rod. Please do let us know how it works at the range, shot to shot. Even the thuty thuty generates some recoil and it doesn't take much to knock scopes around.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
frown Ah krap Rod, thanks to you another one of those Savage rifle/mounts that I can't live without. grin GW Nice rig!

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
634 members (257_X_50, 1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 007FJ, 71 invisible), 2,947 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,664
Posts18,399,333
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.