Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
So what is this stuff? Something new or is it the new name for the Black Dot they announced a while back? I'm guessing not after that little problem at the BlackMag factory.

It also appears that Goex has dropped Pinnacle.

I'm so confused. I think I'll just make the 40 mile drive and get real black.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
BP-B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
It's just APP powder with a new label.

You can never go wrong with real BP. Swiss being the premium black powder.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
American Pioneer / Shockey's Gold is the worst propellant I've ever evaluated. Pinnacle as well was made by American Pioneer. Hodgdon bought Goex, so the discontinuation of Pinnacle was a certainty.

Blackpowder has always been a consistent propellant, but availability can be a problem. Alliant has extremely good distribution and, while APP had no apparent quality control, Alliant claims to test every lot, and shot to shot velocity variations within 30 - 35 fps are now commonplace.

Black-MZ has the appeal of easy ignition, a lower auto-ignition temperature than Pyrodex, less corrosivity than black, Pyrodex, T7, and it is more moisture-resistant as well. It works best as 90 grain (volume) charges in many .50 caliber frontloaders.

--Randy

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
How can it be more moisture resistant when it clumps up so easily?
Testing all the batches won't change that.

Last edited by Old_Hunter; 10/15/11.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image] should give you the idea.

Clumping is common particularly with any residual oil or solvents; it works best with dry barrels.

--Randy

IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Alliant Black MZ was a big disappointment to the muzzleloading community. It is nothing more then rebadged American Pioneer JSP Super. Alliant should be ashamed of themselves for putting their name on it!! If you want the best buy Blackhorn 209.

Last edited by omega45; 10/15/11.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
couldnt believe it myself when i saw they just put american pioneer in the bottle. APP can be a good consistent powder, and accurate as heck too but it and nothing else compares to BH209.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by omega45
Alliant Black MZ was a big disappointment to the muzzleloading community.

Who says so? Can you name twenty people that have actually used it, much less a "community"?

It has its niche, based on its easy ignition. If you use #11 caps, its is a way to get away from Pyrodex and associated barrel-rotting. Black Mag 3 had more potential, but the explosion and a couple of dead folks quickly ended that one.

--Randy

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
what they claim and what they actually do are 2 different things. You still have to swab between shots in order to seat the next load. So thats one issue right off the bat thats a false claim is the no swabbing part. Erratic FPS is the number 1 issue as usual.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Clumping is in the bottle. It has nothing to do with what's in the barrel.

Do you agree that's it's just APP powder Randy?

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by bigblock455; 10/15/11.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is there something wrong with trying to be fair? It is vastly improved over Shockey's. It is suitable for #11 caps. It is less filthy and less corrosive than Pyrodex. It does suck less moisture than T7, has less of a crud ring. It is sulfur-free. It is easier to clean up than Pyrodex or T7.

I wouldn't personally hunt with it . . . Black Horn 209 is, by far, the best bp replacement on the market and the best ever. No question in my mind . . . and I have hunted with BH209 and will continue to. I'm not using sidelocks, though, nor am I using #11 cap ignition.

--Randy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Old_Hunter

I've not had any "in the bottle" clumping. The shooting I've done has been with a .50 cal. Omega. It does form a ring by the QLA, easy to brush away, and not at the level of Pyrodex / T7 as far as filth and clean-up. That the OEM is APP is no secret, Alliant has been very open about that. It is improved over Shockey's, so a flippant "just APP" isn't exactly accurate.

--Randy

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Well, since I shoot a sidelock it appears to be an option then unlike BH209. Never had a problem with real black, clean up isn't that bad IMHO, but finding a place that carries it is often a problem.

Thank you to all who have tried to help.

Some of it's tragic,
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Well, since I shoot a sidelock it appears to be an option then unlike BH209. Never had a problem with real black, clean up isn't that bad IMHO, but finding a place that carries it is often a problem.

Thank you to all who have tried to help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5lmjSHJNxk

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Thank you, sir. I hadn't thought about that.

Some of it's tragic,
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
i havent tried it yet with patched round balls. Thats next on the list! I just wonder how BH209 will react to the lubed patch.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by RandyWakeman
Originally Posted by Old_Hunter

I've not had any "in the bottle" clumping. The shooting I've done has been with a .50 cal. Omega. It does form a ring by the QLA, easy to brush away, and not at the level of Pyrodex / T7 as far as filth and clean-up. That the OEM is APP is no secret, Alliant has been very open about that. It is improved over Shockey's, so a flippant "just APP" isn't exactly accurate.

Filthy is a non issue to a hunter. As dirty as Goex is. You can load a second shot if needed. Which brings up a point. As long as a ML takes to load. Have you ever needed a second shot, and got it loaded in time with a ML?

APP came with a dissectant in the bottle. I don't think any other powder has to do that. Does Black MZ do that? Same powder. I'm not sure you never saw clumping in the bottle. It's a well known problem, and i've seen it.

So, I don't worry about a powder being hard to load or clean. I worry about a powder that sucks in moisture after it's been loaded. I also worry about a powder that's inconsistent in FPS. That changes the POI. APP doesn't score high in either of those categories. The Alliant powder still looks like the same kitty litter, but a darker color.

I'll need to see some range tests to believe they made it better.

C
C
Originally Posted by RandyWakeman
Is there something wrong with trying to be fair? It is vastly improved over Shockey's. It is suitable for #11 caps. <snip>

Absolutely--this is the reason for my interest in it! Hunting with 209 primers during muzzleloader season in the northwest is not lawful. I'm a fan of Triple Seven because I don't want to leave a corrosive substance in the bore after a fowling shot. Unfortunately, Triple Seven ignition can be marginal with caps when the weather is cold (like it is on every hunt ;)). Even with nightly cleaning, taking a fowling shot at O-dark:30 every day is even less practical. Who wants to start making noise and scaring the game away before shooting light even arrives? A non-corrosive powder enables leaving the bore in a condition best suited for accuracy without damaging it.

Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
Which brings up a point. As long as a ML takes to load. Have you ever needed a second shot, and got it loaded in time with a ML?

Why yes I have! I shot a whitetail buck at 107 yards once. He never saw me prone in the grass and ran down the other side of the draw from me until he stood about 65 yards away from me. He just stood there for what seemed to be the longest time (plenty of time to reload). He looked a bit shaky but didn't drop so I dropped him with the second shot. I always reload!

Last edited by calinb; 12/09/11.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
American Pioneer is corrosive

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
717 members (12308300, 160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 90 invisible), 2,689 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,928
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.