Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
JasonH Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I was looking around over at zanders sporting goods website and discovered that they have posted the new for 2012 Winchester models to their catalog. All you need to do to view these items is go to gzanders.com and click on "consumer catalog." You will then see a list on the left side of the screen. Click on "rifles" and then "winchester bolt CF rifles". All of the items with a red star are new.

The rifle is described as blued/ walnut with monte carlo stock, open sights and a 25" barrel. The MSRP is $1269.99, more than the sporter but less than the super grade. There is no picture posted yet. I googled Model 70 Alaskan and found that Winchester cataloged such a model in the pre-64' days. I really hope that this rifle will have the pre-64 barrel profile that includes the saddle where the rear sight sits, just like the Cabela's 50th anniversary model. It is encouraging to see a factory rifle coming with open sights again. The three caliber choices are .30-06, .300 and .338.

Does anyone have access to an advance copy of the 2012 catalog, and if so could you shed some light on this model? I am really looking foward to seeing it, as it may be the most classic looking model 70 yet, that is if winchester does it right.

As a side note, there are sporter and featherweight models listed in .264 winchester mag. with a red star beside them. Also a super grade 75th anniversary model with super fancy wood and engraving.

BP-B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks for the info; I looked at the site. One of the chamberings in the Alaskan is .30-06, with a 25-inch barrel. Interesting.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I might be willing to pony up for one in 338.

`Bring Enough Gun`
J
JasonH Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I just want to see a picture of the rifle as I am curious about the stock shape and the barrel profile. I really hope that Winchester went the classic route, as I think that would sell really well. We already have enough modern looking bolt actions on the market. Heck, I would buy one of the Cabela's 50th anniversary sporters if it weren't for that god awful gold floorplate.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Yeah, I want to see some pictures of these. I'm suprised no new stainless 375 H&H, though.

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by JasonH
I would buy one of the Cabela's 50th anniversary sporters if it weren't for that god awful gold floorplate.

It'd be mighty easy to replace a floorplate.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Perhaps this has something to do with Winchester making an "Alaskan" Mod 70

A less famous Wasilla Republican has introduced a bill naming the pre-1964 Winchester Model 70 .30-06 caliber rifle as Alaska�s official firearm. According to the AP, Senator Charlie Huggins reckons the pre-Kennedy assassination-era Winchester best embodies, uh, something relative to The Last Frontier. SB 105 offers no reason for elevating the Winchester Model 70 .30-.06 to such a loft place in the lonely pantheon of state firearms, currently occupied by the Browning M1911 (Utah). Saying that, Alaska�s Department of Fish and Game seems game: �If you are going to hunt brown bear on the Alaska Peninsula or Kodiak Island, a .30-06 loaded with 200- or 220-grain Nosler� or similar premium bullet will do the job with good shot placement.� The question remains: will you still shoot me, will you still moot me, when I�m sixty-four? LINK

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just want to see a picture of the rifle as I am curious about the stock shape and the barrel profile. I really hope that Winchester went the classic route, as I think that would sell really well. We already have enough modern looking bolt actions on the market. Heck, I would buy one of the Cabela's 50th anniversary sporters if it weren't for that god awful gold floorplate.

Jason, you have brought up a riddle. Why all the excitement to buy something never seen before? And why a commemorative, at all, unless it is to be kept new, as an investment?

But for a couple revolvers, all the guns I've ever bought were pre-owned, coming to me mostly from gun shops and shows, auctions and private trades, and with the searching being an important component in the enjoyment of that purchase. I always shunned commemorative's or anything w/ medallions or flashy inlays as being overly decorated (though some small bit of engraving is OK).

So why new?

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

J
JasonH Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Pal, I see your point. Ive never been one to buy used guns. As a matter of fact, I dont really buy anything used. I like to be the one to put the first scratch or nick in the stock, as every single nick and scratch has a story behind it. The only used guns that I own were handed down to me by my grandfather. The point I was trying to make is this, Winchester is trying awfully hard to reintroduce many of their classic lever action rifles. And for the most part, they look pretty much like the originals did (that is if you overlook the safety). I really dont see why they cant do the same with some of their classic bolt guns. Is it really that hard to believe that someone wants to buy a "new" classic gun? I would much rather do that, than lay out the cash for a new in box pre-64 rifle. Anyways, variety is the spice of life, and as long as folks are exercising their 2nd amendment rights, I dont care whether they buy new or used.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm thinking a .375 would be a better "Alaskan" though a .338 is not bad...

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Or a 375 Ruger chambering

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by siskiyous6
Or a 375 Ruger chambering

That would go over like a Fart in Church at Winchester!! crazy

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nah...

It needs to be a 338 WINCHESTER Magnum Alaskan. After all, the 338 Win was developed for Alaska. wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Nah...

It needs to be a 338 WINCHESTER Magnum Alaskan. After all, the 338 Win was developed for Alaska. wink

Yep, I concur.

Plus, putting a .375" hole in a barrel with sporter contour (.600" muzzle diameter) leaves only about .112" barrel wall thickness. Too thin, methinks.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by bearstalker
Yeah, I want to see some pictures of these. I'm suprised no new stainless 375 H&H, though.

My term would be disappointed to see no new stainless 375 H&H.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
the Alaskan is nice, but i got more excited when i noticed the Sporter will be available in .264 Win Mag!

.358 Norma Mag. enough said.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll have to have one of those if it has a 26" tube.

`Bring Enough Gun`
KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Originally Posted by bearstalker

My term would be disappointed to see no new stainless 375 H&H.

I want one of those pretty badly. The price of NH SS .375 is pretty crazy.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by Jocko_Slugshot

Plus, putting a .375" hole in a barrel with sporter contour (.600" muzzle diameter) leaves only about .112" barrel wall thickness. Too thin, methinks.

Ask jim62, he'll know the answer for sure. He is quite knowledgeable about barrel thickness.

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
J
J
Originally Posted by pal

Jason, you have brought up a riddle. Why all the excitement to buy something never seen before? And why a commemorative, at all, unless it is to be kept new, as an investment?

But for a couple revolvers, all the guns I've ever bought were pre-owned, coming to me mostly from gun shops and shows, auctions and private trades, and with the searching being an important component in the enjoyment of that purchase. I always shunned commemorative's or anything w/ medallions or flashy inlays as being overly decorated (though some small bit of engraving is OK).

So why new?

Because it's new. Why question someone else's free choice of what to buy? Just because it's your way doesn't make it the right way or the only way--just your way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
108 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 14 invisible), 1,745 guests, and 804 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,701
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.