Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Well if we include Finland into the mix, all my rifles would be Tikkas - 695's, 65's and T3's. I also like some of Bill Ruger's offerings and ''''gassssppp! the odd Browning. wink

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The first three Finnish rifles I ever owned (and still have) were Russian reworks A 91/30, 91/24 and an M39. Two Sakos and a Valmet. All three were brass bedded (yes!) and shoot far better than they have a right to. I bought them when everyone sold those crappy "Russian 91/30s" for a song. Few people knew about Finns skills with arms.

The 1924 is worth some money apparently.

The only rifle that I sold which I truly regret is a 695 that was chambered in 6.5x55mm. Oddly, I had two 6.5x55mm Mausers and sold off the Tikka! 20-20 hindsight.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by grouseman
Because Canada is officially bilingual, the cartridge must be of either British or French origin.
Don't know many guys up here shooting an 8mm Lebel!!!! Monashee

Support the BC Wildlife Federation
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had the pleasure of shooting one in the James Bay Frontier a couple decades ago and three caribou fell to 3 8mmLebel from an old "Berthier". Only one I have ever fired.

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel
No one that I know of produces factory rifles in that chambering.

Ruger put out a special run of #1 rifles in 303. They got snapped up fast.

And I would hazard a guess that most Canadian gun owners have at least 1 Lee-Enfield. I have 3 Bubba-Lees.

"This duty fell upon me and was the worst job I ever had in my life.
I have known men I would rather shoot than the worst of dogs."

Frank Wild
Second in Command
Endurance 1914-1916
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have seen more Canadian-Bubba .303's by a huge margin than any other rifle or calibre. Given the difficulty of mounting a scope the variations are endless and hilarious.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
n007,
During the '50s,60s and probably into the 70s Eatons and Simpson-Sears sold the sporterized .303 through their catalogs.I remember in the late 60s that a cut down military stocked rifle was about 30.00.
They were more factory conversions than bubbas.

Glenn

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
That's right. In the 1970s Woolco sold them as well. All of them were "professionally reworked" by some company. That consisted of removing the upper hand guard/bands and cutting back the forestock. They were also reblued.

I had an emaculate sported Woolco version in my hands a few years back. The owner still had the sales slip from the store!

WRT military surplus rifles, Lovett's original location beside KW Hospital in Kitchener used to have barrels of $5-$40 Lee Enfields, Enfields, Rosses, Mausers, etc. that you could pick through.

Keith Lovett sold his business a couple of years ago and was going to move to Cape Breton. I don't know if he ever did.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GlennKelley
n007,
During the '50s,60s and probably into the 70s Eatons and Simpson-Sears sold the sporterized .303 through their catalogs.I remember in the late 60s that a cut down military stocked rifle was about 30.00.
They were more factory conversions than bubbas.

Glenn

Glenn;
If foggy memory serves they sometimes went for as low as $20 for an unaltered one at either Army & Navy or Princess Auto stores in Regina.

They were sold, as Steve mentioned, in big barrels or drums. I can't for the life of me recall whether the drums were steel or wooden though.

Even then the "Jungle Carbine" would usually go for a whopping and decadent $45. grin

My first center fire rifle was a P17 that I bought off of some friend's father for $15 when I was 12 or 13. I shot a couple crows with it and sold it to another buddy for the same amount.

It was an early indication in my life that I'd better not be a gun trader for a living unless I developed a weight problem! laugh

Thinking back on it now, I'd say that at least every other farm house in Saskatchewan had some variety of .303. Of course every single one had a Cooey .22.

All the best to you Glenn and good luck on your hunts this fall.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We didn't have a Cooey, rather a 22 Browning pump. People refer to them as "trombone" now but in the distance past there were Browning, Winchester and Remington 22 pumps. My first 22 bolt rifle was an Anshutz I bought for my Mom, that she gave back to me when she turned 65. I still have that rifle but it does not get shot much if at all anymore. The #1mkIII does get its annual workout still though. I let my cousin's son shoot it the other day. He had never heard of such a rifle. I think Dad bought it at Marshall Wells or McCleod's for $25. It has seen a lot of use and the wood and metal show wear. There is still no rust nor much bluing for that matter, but it still holds everything in 6" at 100 yds open sites for me.

Lester Roloff
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Since we are reminiscing I remember buying a Jungle Carbine for $10. Kicked like a mule but after putting on a new $10 buttstock it was tolerable. Sold it eventually for $25 and figured a 25% markup was a good deal! How times have changed.

Jim

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by medicman
We didn't have a Cooey, rather a 22 Browning pump. People refer to them as "trombone" now but in the distance past there were Browning, Winchester and Remington 22 pumps. My first 22 bolt rifle was an Anshutz I bought for my Mom, that she gave back to me when she turned 65. I still have that rifle but it does not get shot much if at all anymore. The #1mkIII does get its annual workout still though. I let my cousin's son shoot it the other day. He had never heard of such a rifle. I think Dad bought it at Marshall Wells or McCleod's for $25. It has seen a lot of use and the wood and metal show wear. There is still no rust nor much bluing for that matter, but it still holds everything in 6" at 100 yds open sites for me.

Actually, Dad traded Carl L. for an old 35 Winchester that laid behind the seat of his truck all winter and got some reddish brown residue throughout, and as I recall, Carl said he got it (the LE) at McLeods for $18.95. And remember when we thought there was a bend in the barrel from doing duty on the old double track? Man! Memories! grin

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
My go to cartridge for big Saskatchewan deer is a 150 grain 30-06 Hornady Interbond.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Carl still has that Winchester actually. I asked him if he ever sold it to give me a call. He said he got it from Dad, but never mentioned the LE trade. I guess you being older has some advantages. That barrel still looks bent but a straight edge proves it true. That brass butte plate is as soft as ever.

Welcome back

Lester Roloff
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by Heiner39
My go to cartridge for big Saskatchewan deer is a 150 grain 30-06 Hornady Interbond.

If that's what you use for the big ones, what do you use for the small ones? laugh grin

Brother Keith

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Randy,

Remember the year Dad got three moose with 2 shots out of that old 'meat in the pot' gun? Must have WAY overpenetrated. grin

Brother Keith

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, and we are supposed to think they were underpowered. He did a lot of two with one shot on deer, partridge etc. but those were moose.

Lester Roloff
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
30-06 is my choice. 165 grain boat tails- good for 300+ yds.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
No arguments from me, except I use 168 grainers (TSX) and the extra 3 grains of bullet weight makes them penetrate better. grin

Brother Keith

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Thanks Dwayne,
I was ballparking that 30.00.I do remember that there was a restocked version for 45.00.Might have been a Parker Hale?

Glenn

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

661 members (1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 68 invisible), 3,138 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,701
Posts18,456,774
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.