Print Thread
Hop To
B
BrentD Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I picked up two this morning. I missed the first shot offhand - or sorta missed. But she didn't run and went back to rummaging in the leaves. Gives new meaning to "piercings".

check out her left ear...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I've got to stop shooting offhand or I have to learn how. One or the other.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Hunting with cool tools has its moments too.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Beautiful Lowall! Nice to see a fine one that ISN'T a safe queen! A "cool tool" indeed.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
S
S
Basically what i've come to learn, is that if she loves you, she'll come back and want to sort things out no matter what you did. If she is feeling gulity about the break-up and you go to her, tell her where you went wrong and everything and she MIGHT take you back, it still won't work out. She wouldn't of dumped you if she loved you, if she takes you back after you talked to her first it won't be long before she breaks you again. The only chance she'll come back and have a healthy relationship is if she comes to you.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
SD15-Not a post I'd expect to see on OP about squirrel hunting but I think there is some wisdom in what you say. It was hard learned I expect.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Beautiful rifle.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by stevedonald15
Basically what i've come to learn, is that if she loves you, she'll come back and want to sort things out no matter what you did. If she is feeling gulity about the break-up and you go to her, tell her where you went wrong and everything and she MIGHT take you back, it still won't work out. She wouldn't of dumped you if she loved you, if she takes you back after you talked to her first it won't be long before she breaks you again. The only chance she'll come back and have a healthy relationship is if she comes to you.

So what you're saying is that she loved him because even after he shot her through the ear she still stuck around.....

Deal with it.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That is definitely a nice low wall.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Beautiful rifle.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What is the scope on that rifle? I've got a Stevens 44 1/2 match rifle in .22LR that was my great-grandfather's with the matching J.C. Stevens 6x external adjustment scope as well as a very fine tang sight. I take it out squirrel hunting for fun and know that when I squeeze the sweetest trigger I've ever pulled that the bullet always goes exactly where I send it. I'll get to go out again on Monday, I'm trying to train my weimaraner to find me squirrels in the woods now that she's got bird hunting figured out. smile

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
IC B3

B
BrentD Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
That is a Unertl Small Game scope. I took it off on Tuesday to replace with a 10X Fecker that I use for offhand gallery target shooting for the Winter League Match.

These old scopes can be pretty pricey. The Stevens is a little less so, but not cheap. The Unertl/Fecker/Lyman STS scopes are almost quick release and yet they are immensely accurate.

Your granddad's Stevens would be a real treat to hunt with. You know what total confidence in a rifle is like shooting one of those.

Got a picture of it that you can post?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dang, hunt101 deleted my old pics. I had some nice ones with squirrels... I'll have to go see if there on the external hard drive.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Can't find the hunting pics, but here are some pics of the rifle I took a couple years back when I was digging up information on it. I think Montana Vintage Arms helped me with the ID on it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Gas_and_gun_pics_007.JPG[/img]
[img]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Gas_and_gun_pics_006.JPG[/img]
[img]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Gas_and_gun_pics_005.JPG[/img]

Selmer

B
BrentD Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
selmer, that is a beautiful rifle! The most interesting thing to me is the lever. That is clearly a custom target lever and I have seen many of them but never one like that. The entire rifle may be customized, and if so, it would be cool to know who did it. Are there any identifying marks, or perhaps there is some paper work or stories about its origins handed down with the rifle?

Just an awesome rifle. You probably already know about CPA rifles and Paul and Gail Shuttleworth. But if not, they make reproductions, or near reproductions of the 44.5 and if you need parts, they probably have it.

One last thing, is there any sigh of it ever having had a palm rest that would have bolted to the forearm?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a picture of my great-grandfather with his shooting club in Kings Mill,Ohio, where he used the rifle. I know he custom ordered it because grandpa remembered when he got it. The rifle and scope were sold together as a combo. There are no ID marks on it that I can find, I wish it were marked as a Pope barrel! Paul and Gail were the ones that helped me positively ID the rifle, not MVA. But I think MVA had the site inserts for the front site that give me better options for the peep site. I had Parsons scope service clean up the scope, it was almost impossible to see through the dust particles when I received it. Now I can use it just fine! smile

Selmer

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oh - no sign of a palm rest.

Selmer

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And it's interesting that you think the lever is custom. When I received the rifle, the finger grooves were all covered with electrical tape, wrapped in such a way as to have a different grip. Mom said great-grandpa had tiny hands and probably did that to accommodate his hands.

Selmer

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by stevedonald15

What the hell are you smokin'? Maybe you better stop watching Dr. Phil for a while!

Fall seven times, stand up eight.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

103 members (10gaugemag, 35sambar, 358WCF, 673, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 14 invisible), 1,597 guests, and 871 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,656
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.