Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I was going to say that handloading is not rocket science, but I decided not do that.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ruger438
Mule Deer, My slipping memory tell me you had written something here or elswhere about the 308 load with 150 grn cup and core bullets and Varget you had settled on. I cant find mention anywhere so was wondering if I actually had read it.

I was thinking it was somewhere in the neighborhood of 46 grns but that is above Hornady and Sierra data but it is withing Hogdon and speer data so I wanted to check first.

I have tried 44 grns over a hornady 150 interlock and it shoots ok,but I was curious.

I use 47 gr varget, WW brass, CCI 200 primers under 150 gr accubonds, 150 hornady sp, and 150 BT. 2700'ish with excellent accuracy from a 20 in bbl

"I am at heart a meat hunter."
John Barsness, The Life of the Hunt
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by FTR_Shooter
Point 1: I always follow the powder manufacturer's load data. They know their product better than anyone else especially if there are changes or variations in their product. More often than not, the bullet manufacturers' loading data will be too conservative and you may leave potential performance on the table.

I have found quite the opposite to be true, at least for the rounds for which I handload the most. My experience is that the powder manufacture's data is more conservative. For example, in the load under discussion (150gr bullet with max load of Varget), Hodgdon stops at 47.0 gr while the Nosler manual stops at 48.5 gr. I stopped at 47.5 gr. with bullet seated out.

Bottom line is if you exceed the max load from Hodgdon, you're looking for trouble.

Go tell it to Nosler and other bullet manufacturers. This is why we don't just go to the max load in some manual and start crankin' out ammo, but rather do careful load development and work up to the level that meets our needs AND works safely for OUR particular combination of bullet/brass/powder/primer (including the extra variables thrown in by production lot-to-lot variations as well as assembly variables such as C.O.A.L., case length, neck tension, etc, etc.), barrel and chamber dimensions and all their associated variables in dimensions and materials, and weather and still other variables. I personally do it while referencing all the published data that I have on hand. It ain't rocket science, but it sure takes some good judgment and common sense.

Point 2: We can have a long discussion on pressure signs and how to interpret them. From "flattened" primers, to difficult bolt lift, case head expansion, ejector marks, case head swipe, etc none of them are worth much without a chronograph. If you encounter the above signs, they usually mean you are already over max and in danger territory. I maintain that developing loads until you see some or all of these signs is not a good thing. The only real way to measure pressure is with a setup that most people do not have at the house. It is much better to verify your loads by chronographing them and comparing to expected velocities from manuels, wherever you get them. I have yet to see somebody with a magical rifle that can launch bullets faster than expected data "without any pressure signs," and still have a safe load.

Yup. I agree with every bit of that.

Point 3: I'm all for experimentation, especially if you have unlimited time and unlimited budget and you do not know what the "best" is. For most people however, one must not let perfection be the enemy of good enough. My comment about having the wrong bullet for your application was in response to your comment:

But, I really don't like the SST's all that much at that velocity. They're too soft at closer ranges and don't penetrate the way I want them to. However, loaded down to around 2600 fps with around 43 to 43.5grs of Varget out of the 20" barrel of my old Browning BLR, they do MUCH better.

Not disagreeing with that either. Don't want to get caught up in the "paralysis of analysis". I'm saving those SST's for use in my BLR at lower velocity.

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Skeezix
Point 1: I always follow the powder manufacturer's load data. They know their product better than anyone else especially if there are changes or variations in their product. More often than not, the bullet manufacturers' loading data will be too conservative and you may leave potential performance on the table.

I have found quite the opposite to be true, at least for the rounds for which I handload the most. My experience is that the powder manufacture's data is more conservative. For example, in the load under discussion (150gr bullet with max load of Varget), Hodgdon stops at 47.0 gr while the Nosler manual stops at 48.5 gr. I stopped at 47.5 gr. with bullet seated out.

Bottom line is if you exceed the max load from Hodgdon, you're looking for trouble.

Go tell it to Nosler and other bullet manufacturers. This is why we don't just go to the max load in some manual and start crankin' out ammo, but rather do careful load development and work up to the level that meets our needs AND works safely for OUR particular combination of bullet/brass/powder/primer (including the extra variables thrown in by production lot-to-lot variations as well as assembly variables such as C.O.A.L., case length, neck tension, etc, etc.), barrel and chamber dimensions and all their associated variables in dimensions and materials, and weather and still other variables. I personally do it while referencing all the published data that I have on hand. It ain't rocket science, but it sure takes some good judgment and common sense.

Nice to have a discussion with a reasonable person.

I have not bought a reloading manual in over 25 years, well not one from a bullet manufacturer any way.

My most recent handloading manual is Zediker's Handloading for Competition, which I bought 4-5 years ago when I got into F-class competition. When the NRA sanctioned the discipline they introduced highly challenging targets and I had to upgrade my tools and procedures to remain competitive. That book is like a post-graduate course in handloading and it assumes that you are already a proficient reloader as it teaches you the finer points of loading for ultimate precision. It has zero load data, but it is my bible in handloading. It also caused me to spend money upgrading some of the tools that I had been using for decades, with an eye to accuracy and volume handloading. Matches require lots of ammo.

I standardized on Varget many years ago and I buy the powder two 8 pounds jug at a time, and I developed my loads using the Hodgdon data as my guide. I do not buy handloading manuals because I can get the loading data I need at the bullet and powder manufacturers' sites. I checked the data at Berger and compared it to the Hodgdon data and that's when I discovered the large discrepancy in data. I checked several other sites and found the trend to be as I explained, so I used Hodgdon's data and it has worked well for me.

After reading what you wrote above, about using Nosler data to find a charge of Hodgdon powder to propel a Hornady bullet, I went to the Nosler site to check their data. As luck would have it, Hodgdon has load data for 150gr Nosler bullets with several of their powders. At the Nosler site, I found data for 4 powders with their 150gr bullets; IMR4831, IMR4895, IMR4320 and VV N135.

I selected IMR4895 from both sites and Nosler shows a range from 40.5 to 44.5gr max, while Hodgdon shows a range of 42.7 to 46.5gr max for the Nosler E-tip. For the Nosler 150 BT, Hodgdon's max is 47.3gr.

Next I selected IMR4320. Nosler goes from 43.0 to 47.0 for all 150gr bullets. Hodgdon goes from 43.7 to 47.6gr for the E-tip and 44.1 to 49.0gr for the Nosler 150gr BT.

Nosler does not show Varget data and Hodgdon does not show IMR4831 data, however as I showed above for the 2 powders that both sites list, Hodgdon's data has higher max loads.

I went to Hornady's site and it has very limited load data online. For the .308 Winchester, they list a load for the 160gr FTX using Varget to be from 32.6 to 44.0gr. I know by heart the max load for Varget and 168gr bullets from Hodgdon's site and that's 46.0gr. That is what I use when I shoot 168gr bullets. In fact the Hornady max for 160gr bullet is less than my load for a 180gr bullet and that's not even max, according to Hodgdon's site.

So, I gave you several examples above, if your manual differs then Nosler posts conflicting data and that can't be good.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I digress, but how can you read Zedikers style of "english" writing? Drives me batty. Or I was already one or the other.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
We've already talked about this, remember? (Or are you having more and more senior moments?) Yes, he writes in a very unorthodox style, with made-up grammar but you get used to it. grin

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Thats YOU get used to it... yeah I remember, but like Ruger, I couldn't resist....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I sit corrected.

The Ruger dynasty is gone, only the name remains; they have been doing good stuff in the last few years.

Yeah, yeah, I know. Some wounds run pretty deep.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Slightly off-topic - I grabbed some AA2520 that was on sale at a good price, figuring I could use it in my M1A, but I see now Zediker is saying nothing slower than 4064 in the M14/M1A, and 2520 is just past 4064 on the burn chart. I thought 2520 was favored by many hi-power competitors?

I also like Varget in my .308 bolt rifle, and my AR10. On the latter rifle I'm just starting its load development

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
2520 is fine in the M1-A as long as it's not loaded too hot... that applies to 4895 and Varget as well.

Gas port pressure is a combination of several factors, powder charge weight, burning rate and bullet weight...it's close enough to 4064 to be ok.

TC

It ain't all burritos and strippers my friends...
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by cra1948
I load 46 grains of Varget under a 165 grain NBT in RP brass with a CCI 200 primer, seated about .020 off the lands in my Ruger #1B. It's very accurate, brass extracts easily, primers aren't flat, kills deer very well.

I feel a need to apologize to everyone for the bald-faced lie I told in my previous post on this thread. I looked at the data sticker on a box of my .308 loads yesterday and I only load 45 grains of Varget under the 165 grain NBT's. Sorry about that.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (19rabbit52, 1minute, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 222Sako, 55 invisible), 2,765 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,710
Posts18,456,891
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.