Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
TXRam Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
OK, so we built the patio back in the spring, and planned to add a firepit before cool weather. So, when it cooled off this week, I figured I better get off my butt and find one. We had seen this one (but not this size) a couple of months back at Bucc-ee's in Madisonville, TX (for those not familiar, they're probably the world's largest gas station/quickmart outside of truckstops and have the best/cleanest restrooms, lots of jerky/sausage/cheeses, an outdoor stoor attached, etc). So I tried to call Buc-ee's to see if they had any in this size at any of their 3 large stores - can't find a dam number for 'em anywhere. So I figured out who the maker was, and contacted them since they're just outside of Houston. Well, they want 30% more to sell to me than Buc-ee's charges. He did say they had just delivered some to the Buc-ee's stores, so they should have 'em in stock.

Dang, this story is starting to feel like my day yesterday . . .

Anyway, we loaded in the truck for a little trip South of Houston to Wharton (about an hour and a half from my house). Get there and they do NOT have any of the pits I'm looking for - said all three they had 2 days earlier had sold. Asked 'em if they could call the one in Luling, and they gave me the number. Called and they said they had one left - said they would hold it for 3 hours only! So another 2 hour drive West . . . Get there, and I don't see one in the area where they have 'em, and another guy is looking for one too! I started to get a little pissed . . . but finally got someone to help me, and they had put it in back for me - thank God!!! Got it loaded up, and another 2 1/2 hrs and we were home . . . 6 1/2 hours and a tank of gas later!!! I like it, and the wife's happy so all's good now (especially after the second Glenlivet wink !

Got it fired up, and cooked some steaks & chicken, skewered some mushrooms, onions & bell peppers, and sliced some zucchini and grilled it all up!

What a day!!!

[Linked Image]

GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I Love it.
THAT is what I was looking for a few years back and we settled for one of those SS wok shaped things they sell at Lowes etc.

I wanted a REAL campfire !
One you can cook over , put a coffee pot on the side
roast wennies and smores...

If I don't find one it will become a welding project.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
i been meaning to stop at buc ee's to get one, probably the next time i run up to lake conroe.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
That pit looks great! Buc-ees is about the best place to stop when traveling, though the Luling location has had such long lines of traffic in & out that we just said F it the couple of times we were going to stop there.

The Madsonville store is always a stop & the restrooms surely are the best on the road. Plenty of them, and super clean. (The .99 cent 20lb bags of ice are a smokin' deal, too.) The outdoors shop next door is another bonus.

I'll bet the 30% upcharge started looking pretty good around hour 6 & after filling the fuel tank!

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Real nice looking firepit.

A friend of mine had one similar in size but I don't recall his having the top grill like yours. Last time I was over at his house I believe he had added a large permanent masonry firepit that matched his patio. Matter of fact the general layout of the back of your house and patio looks very much like his.

IC B2

T
TXRam Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
ColsPaul - I hear ya' on the "wok"! Good for just having a fire for heat or doing hotdogs/smores, but I wanted the grill feature. Let me know if you would like dimensions, etc. if you decide to build one.

stxhunter - they had plenty of the shallow pits, but none of the deep one like this at the Wharton store (assume that's the one you would be going to).

oulufinn - I agree, we usually have the travel trailer when we go by the Luling store, so we avoid it like the plague! Madisonville is the best one if you ask me - more pumps, more parking, more outdoor stuff, etc. Always stop there for lunch when we're on 45 - chipotle club sandwich and a piece of buttermilk pie! Yeah, that upcharge was calling my name after I got to Wharton and they didn't have one . . . but I was on a MISSION!!! Got it for ~$500 from Buc-ee's so saved about $75 after gas.

joken2 - I thought about building a masonry one when we did the patio, but just doesn't seem like it would put out as much heat down low (legs and feet area). We really enoy sitting around a fire when it's cold, so I wanted it for the heat, not just cooking, etc.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Beautiful fire pit, need to expand my deck to make room for one!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Beautiful fire pit, need to expand my deck to make room for one!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Nice pit and nice yard. I wanted to light mine since I came home but the darn fire ban is still on out here. Nothng like sitting around a fire as the weather cools.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like the look of that pit! Can you tell me the manufacturer?

IC B3

T
TXRam Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very nice. If I may be so bold, what'd it set ya back?

T
TXRam Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
$508+tax if I remember right.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks.

Point of reference (if ya know what I mean). No sense in reinventing the wheel!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Dang, TXRAM, that is one fine pit!!

I've been thinking of building a stone pit beside my patio, using some white limestone that was left lying around my yard after the house was built (25 years ago!), but I've been scratching my head trying to figure out how to get the heat distributed toward more people... this pit of yours looks like it could keep a bunch of folks warm. Hmmm....

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Any Texans coming to Oregon want to get one for me. Ken

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We have a new firepit at the ranch, too....

[Linked Image]

T
TXRam Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by huntsman22
We have a new firepit at the ranch, too....

[Linked Image]

Wanna trade???

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
very nice!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Huntsman waters horses out of a hammered copper tub as well, but I ain't going to say anything.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

98 members (14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 13 invisible), 1,577 guests, and 775 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,517
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.