M
Originally Posted by trsmith18
JMHO...but this is some great shooting, but some poor "hunting"

Define hunting.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Ask a hundred people and you'll get a hundred different "right" answers. In the July 2011 issue of Petersen's Hunting, Mike Schoby went on a tirade in his editorial about the ethics of long range hunting.

In it, he criticizes a television show that promotes long range hunting and contends it isn't fair chase. Schoby indicated that he shared an elk camp with some inexperienced hunters who were "Kool-Aid-drinking fans" of the show and said they had a "fatal flaw" and were "looking for and easier way of being successful."

He rebukes those who rely on technology to make up for deficiencies in expertise and experience. Schoby went on to say, "I feel sorry for the folks who buy into this stuff" and "long range surgical strikes remove much of the experience of why we hunt."

Last year, I was at my local archery shop talking smack with one of the owners when I guy came in to get his bow restrung. I guess he thought he had the right audience and started yacking about how he only hunted with a bow. He thought the vast majority of rifle hunters were slobs who had limited skills and didn't think that harvesting an animal at "hunderd" yards was ethical or sportsmanlike.

I wonder how Schoby would defend his use of centerfire rifles wearing glass to this guy. Even an entry level Savage rifle and Bushnell scope is pretty sweet "technology" from a historical perspective. It sure takes more skill to kill with stick and string than a .30-06. If that's the case, why doesn't he eschew firearms and use a bow if it's all about experiencing the outdoors and proving your skill set a hunter?

I think debating the ethics of how we hunt and why we hunt is healthy. However, it's obvious that some drink too much of their own Kool-Aid like Mike Schoby. He makes its clear that why and how "he" hunts is also why and how "we" should hunt. Schoby references Boone and Crockett's definition of fair chase in that animals should be hunted "in a manner that does not give the hunter improper advantage."

When it comes to killing schit, what's the proper way and what's the improper way? After four decades of hunting, I'm relatively entrenched on the why and how I hunt, but I'm not going try to bend you to my will. I just can't understand why so many are myopically bent on overlaying their subjective ethical positions on others.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Excellent post BlueK9!

Bob

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I think that one guy that keeps showin up in that video is pretty anoying.

Those guys must smell bad so they can't get any closer. grin grin

Agreed ! that scoundrel tried to sneak up on me frying bacon last summer....grin

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B2

T
T
John,
Can you tell me what stock you are using in your videos?
Thanks

T
T
John,
also noticed in your video that you reference a PHB bullet. Does that stand for premier hunting bullet, or is it the Nosler Partition PHB ?
If not can you tell me what bullet you are using?

Last edited by Trueblue; 11/02/11.
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Trueblue
John,
Thanks

Just a guess but Id say a greybull precision stock. IMO a great stock and I love mine!

T
T
Wasn't sure if it was a greybull stock. The foreend did not look right.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by 805
Originally Posted by Trueblue
John,
Thanks

Just a guess but Id say a greybull precision stock. IMO a great stock and I love mine!

Yep, me too. Awesome ergonomics and quite light ( 2 3/4#) for what it is.

IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I keep hearing all this negetive crap on long range hunting, if you haven't tried it maybe you should, you don't need to put down people because they want to be better, the people i know including myself that do long range hunting get out and practice at a range or a long range school.Dont put us down because you cant do it and we can. Maybe you need to go find a short range hunting forum and get off this one. Good job John.

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."

-Henry Ford
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hey John...decided to build a 6.5 x 47 instead of a 260 Rem smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
EH76-what is the 6.5x47 case based off? I just had rednecked a 260 together and am loving it!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
308 dia head but with a small rifle primer. Was going to do a 260 Rem, but my buddy built a 6.5 x 47 Lapua and has the reamer for it. 140 gr VLD at 2850 fps out of a case approx 8 mm shorter than the 260 Rem. I have a 260 Rem in an XP-100R.

Keith

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
You might be in 4 some hangfires in cold weather with the SR primers.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ha ha ha, these long range threads are great. If you got it, you got it. If you can't hack the distance stuff or don't agree with it, no sweat. Don't do it, or take up knitting. Funny how you don't hear the long range guys bitching but there is a constant moan from those who don't agree with it. Maybe I should start sniveling and bitching about anything shot under 300 yards. The rifle most often than not is capable. It's a driver/ pilot issue. wink

Last edited by SMACK; 12/12/11.

All the best things in life, live on the other side off fear.

The true eye sees not the despair of its victims, only the elegance of equilibrium. It's a demonstration of superior judgment.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Bump because I like the original post. Can't wait to see more.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
I keep hearing all this negetive crap on long range hunting, if you haven't tried it maybe you should, you don't need to put down people because they want to be better, the people i know including myself that do long range hunting get out and practice at a range or a long range school.Dont put us down because you cant do it and we can. Maybe you need to go find a short range hunting forum and get off this one. Good job John.

Yes. Among conventional troops in the Army, snipers are looked upon as freaks, nutcases, or worse. ESPECIALLY by conventional officers.

In SF however, a sniper school grad is admired and considered one handy muldoon to have around.

So, all you anti-LR types stand in good company with all the REMF, poggy-bait chewing, ball-washing back-biters that epitomize every thing that is wrong with the US military.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
EH76-what is the 6.5x47 case based off?

Dober

Awesomeness and a hint of Chuck Norris' only tear.

AF
Let your work be shown to your servants, and your glorious power to their children.
B
B
Sorry these arent in action but here are a couple of my sticks with a greybull stock.

[Linked Image]

.300wm
[Linked Image]

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
637 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 257 roberts, 67 invisible), 2,794 guests, and 1,421 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,655
Posts18,399,237
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.