Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I found a used Marlin 39A for sale in a pawn shop about a year ago. Probably about 90%. It is an older 39A (1965 I think) with a cheap 4X scope on it. I do have some feeding problems with it. Feeds a little rough and completely jams about every 20-30 rounds or so. It is still my favorite .22 and one of my most accurate. Any suggestions on the feeding?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jerry46
I found a used Marlin 39A for sale in a pawn shop about a year ago. Probably about 90%. It is an older 39A (1965 I think) with a cheap 4X scope on it. I do have some feeding problems with it. Feeds a little rough and completely jams about every 20-30 rounds or so. It is still my favorite .22 and one of my most accurate. Any suggestions on the feeding?

When you say "it feeds a little rough" are you operating the lever slow or at a fast pace? As for the jams every 20-30 rounds, how are you operating the lever when this happens? It could be something as simple as cleaning the magazine tube, the cartridge cutoff is located at the end of the mag tube. Hope this helps.

Tim

"I hate rude behaviour in a man .....I won't tolerate it." Capt. Woodrow F. Call (Tommy Lee Jones) The Movie "Lonesome Dove"

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by Glock2240

When you say "it feeds a little rough" are you operating the lever slow or at a fast pace? As for the jams every 20-30 rounds, how are you operating the lever when this happens? It could be something as simple as cleaning the magazine tube, the cartridge cutoff is located at the end of the mag tube. Hope this helps.

Tim

I work the lever fast. When I say operates rough, I often will have to work the lever sever several times to get the shell to go into the chamber. When I say it jams, it will not go into the chamber. It seems to be pointed too high. If I take something small and push the point of the shell down some, it will go in.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Glock2240

Tim

There is a cartridge guide that may be bent that could easily be replaced.
Tim

I work the lever fast. When I say operates rough, I often will have to work the lever sever several times to get the shell to go into the chamber. When I say it jams, it will not go into the chamber. It seems to be pointed too high. If I take something small and push the point of the shell down some, it will go in.

"I hate rude behaviour in a man .....I won't tolerate it." Capt. Woodrow F. Call (Tommy Lee Jones) The Movie "Lonesome Dove"

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Here's my tricked out 39.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
That's a sweet 39. Two questions:

1. What are the years that the forearm stock is flush to the receiver as opposed to the ones that bulge?

2. Does the tang sight interfere with the handling of the rifle, lever, and hammer?

When Injustice becomes law, Resistance becomes duty. -Thomas Jefferson
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Not sure about yrs they made fat vs skinny forearms. This one is from the 70's. Some of the older ones are fat, and I think they're ugly. I would guess '50's or so for fat ones. Maybe someone can chime in with more precise info.

The tang sight is pretty neat and doesn't interfere with the bolt. One needs to hold the thumb along side the tang and not try to wrap it around the grip, as it won't work that way.

DF

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Hey thanks for the reply, Dirtfarmer. I agree, I think the fatter forearms are ugly, also. I like smooth sleek lines in a firearm, and other things of course. I want to get a nice 39 A and we're having a big gunshow in Denver next weekend so I'm going to be on the lookout.

I see you've put a Monte Carlo stock on yours. Im partial to the old style crescent buttstocks and had one fitted for my Marlin 1895 Cowboy. I have a picture of it posted on the Marlin Talk thread.

Take good care of that beautiful piece of history!

When Injustice becomes law, Resistance becomes duty. -Thomas Jefferson
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Glad you liked it. Stock is a Fajan from back when you could get them. Checkering is from my early attempts. I now send checkering projects to Errol Case in MO. Check Case Custom Gunstocks on line. Errol does great work, reasonably.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
More photos of the tang sight and trigger stop. I drilled and tapped a hole in the frame, forward of the trigger, using an Allen set screw for a trigger stop. I honed the sear and adjusted the trigger and hammer springs. This 39 has the best trigger at 2# that I've ever seen on a Marlin lever gun. It's as good as my Anschutz, and I know that's hard to believe. It just worked out that way. I installed a higher front sight to accommodate the tang sight and higher stock profile for a more heads up position when shooting. This rifle makes a nice companion to my 45-70, 1895 cowboy, set up much like this one.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Nice 39, Dirtfarmer

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Thanks, Claybirds.

That trigger stop really works, and it isn't that hard to do.

DF

You might check to see if your cartridge guide spring is in place and adjusted to guide the cartridge into the chamber. You can look at Brownells schematics to see the part I'm talking about.(top of receiver inside right above the chamber) My opinion is that Marlin should have designed a solid, more precision part for this. That could be a reason for the having to work the lever several tims to get it to feed. HTH.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
My 39A is the best 22 I've ever owned. I'll keep it until I die.

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

583 members (257 mag, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 22magnut, 260Remguy, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,117 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,292
Posts18,448,967
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.