Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
All you Kimber Montana fans, I have THE 84M caliber, the 7/08, handles like a dream, wonderful trigger, hardly a scratch on it. It can be YOURS for a grand shipped to your FFL. Only problem is you'll get to figure out why it won't shoot.

My advice? 700 Mt Rifle/Faux Ti B&C stock. It you can't get it to shoot, then true it and rebarrel, then you'll KNOW it'll shoot, if you can shoot.

BP-B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
For the weight, durability, and accuracy a TIKKA in .308 or .270 would be my choice.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
For elk, .325 WSM in a Kimber or Ti Browning.

I've got a Kimber Montana .308. I'd hunt elk with it but I wouldn't have selected it if the main job had been elk. My gun isn't very accurate when loaded near max. If I load it for accuracy, I basically have a light weight .300 Savage. Makes deer inside 250 yards very very dead but I'd like a little more "snot" for elk or if the range begins to stretch for deer.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have a Tikka 30-06 and it's served well. The wide just got a Tikka 270

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Wide?

Here be dragons ...
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Freud?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well, I've seen her, and she ain't wide...

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
That would be a typo , D and F are next to each other smile

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i will spin barrels onto my rem ti till i can screw no more....and then likely one or two more.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
What does the end of that Ti 700 action look like? Is turned smooth or does it look like it was chop-sawed like most 700's?

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I prefer Model Seven stainless myself, for lightweight, in a good custom stock like Mickey or Brown.

But I do agree with Dober, if there be any way to carry it, a bit more weight in the tube is nice. I prefer the Seven XCR and the SAUM tube. However, I like a 20" for carry so would cut the SAUM tube down by 2".

To me, the Seven XCR (in 308 if you can find one) bedded in a Brown stock is about as useful as it gets.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I had both the Kimber Montana and the Tikka t3 .270. The Montana went down the road and the Tikka is the go to rifle for anything I hunt. My Montana was finicky mechanically but once it was figured out it shot submoa but my field accuracy suffered. The Tikka shot slightly smaller groups on paper but was much easier to hit with in field positions for me. Like Dober and others I prefer just a little bit more meat on the barrel than the Montana contour.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I had a Seven XCR in .308 and it didn't shoot worth a [bleep]. It came in the middle of a run of real lemons I got from Remington. It was probably one of the last Seven XCRs to leave the shop. It was supposed to be a 7mm-08. By the time it arrived at my dealer so we found out the wholesaler sent the wrong gun, they had no more Seven XCRs at all and said Remington would not be sending any more. frown I tried to make the best of it ...

Tom

Here be dragons ...
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Best gun? A rifle that will go around 7lb with scope. Stainless action and barrel. 22" barrel. Good trigger. A stock that can take a beating and not look like crap is nice too. A backpack hunt is about 99% sweat and 1% pulling the trigger. Hard to get too romantic about a specific make/model.

Caliber? If you reload, go crazy. If you don't, go with a 30-06.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Thread closed. smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by T_O_M
I had a Seven XCR in .308 and it didn't shoot worth a [bleep]. It came in the middle of a run of real lemons I got from Remington. It was probably one of the last Seven XCRs to leave the shop. It was supposed to be a 7mm-08. By the time it arrived at my dealer so we found out the wholesaler sent the wrong gun, they had no more Seven XCRs at all and said Remington would not be sending any more. frown I tried to make the best of it ...

Tom

Still for sale?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have spent plenty of time backpacking a custom 30-06 that weighs 7.8lbs. I would not want a lighter rifle. The weight of the rifle makes it easier for me to hold steady. I find that ultra lightweight rifles are difficult to shoot at long ranges.
The 30-06 will kill the snot out of anything that walks the earth in North America. Mine with handloaded 168TTSX have taken 4 anamals this fall; Dall Sheep, Caribou, AK/Yukon Moose, & Mule Deer.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My main backpack rifle is a Rem SS Mtn rifle in 30-06 that weighs 6lb. 4 oz. empty w/out scope. Never weighed it full up. I'd prefer lighter.

Years ago I designed and never built my concept of a back pack rifle: Short action for weight saving, 7mm to .30 cal (probably would go .308 to bore out the barrel for less weight and larger bullets with more oomph.) Bolt action bullpup, with an overall length that would go inside my backpack.

That rifle would be small and compact to carry and slow to cyle, essentially a fast reloading single shot. Short, light, handy.

While it is true that heavy rifles are easier to aim steady, I'll opt for light carry and try for close shots or a natural rest, as I do already.

Of course, last weekend I had to stand tall and shoot at a small piece of a buck offhand at 170 yards as my only option with no rest possible. laugh Tight sling and got the job done.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Still for sale?

Sold 3-4 (?) years ago.

Tom

Here be dragons ...
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Winchester M-70 FWT 280 Remington, Zeiss 3x9 with B & C Metalist stock. Thats the ticket.

"I've made alot of money in my life, most of it spent on guns and women. The rest of it I just wasted."
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
707 members (10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 222ND, 16penny, 160user, 77 invisible), 2,734 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,718
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.