Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
This guy reports to Holder, and has the authority to authorize things in the Attorney General's name.

And he's just been thrown under the bus.

New documents show that ol' Lanny knew about gun walking in the Wide Receiver case, and he admits to knowing about Fast & Furious and gunwalking in that one.

Says he never told Holder about it though.

This directly contradicts everything that the DOJ said for 6 months, and even put in writing to the House Oversight committee.

The dominoes are starting to fall.

If Sharyl Attkisson doesn't get a Pulitzer for this series, something is SERIOUS whacked.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31727_1...in-april-2010/?tag=cbsnewsMainColumnArea
There is new information about how much the Department of Justice new about the controversial ATF tactic of letting guns "walk" into the hands of criminals.

Gunwalking is a controversial investigative tactic in which police allow suspects to traffic guns without stopping them in order to see where they end up. Documents just released this afternoon show the head of the Justice Department's criminal division, Lanny A. Breuer, learned about the tactic of ATF gunwalking as early as April of last year.

In a memo, Brueuer's deputy wrote him that, in a case called "Wide Receiver" started under the Bush Administration, "ATF let a bunch of guns walk" in an effort to catch the big fish of Mexican drug cartels and said the gunwalking case could be "embarrassing" to ATF.

Today, Breuer issued a statement saying he "regrets" that he didn't alert others in Justice Department leadership, apparently including his boss Attorney General Eric Holder.

In a separate ATF case reported by CBS News earlier this year, called "Fast and Furious" and started under the Obama Administration, Breuer says he likewise regrets not alerting leaders about the similarities in the cases. That, said Breuer, was a mistake.

Republican Congressional investigators say this new information contradicts the Justice Department's original letter to them earlier this year insisting that gunwalking allegations were "false."

Last edited by Calhoun; 10/31/11.
BP-B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
After a really good hand-slapping he should be a really rich man.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I still can't believe CBC has taken point on this story????

Please don't feed the trolls!
rte Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
None of this matters.

This regime will throw anyone and everyone under the bus with the promise of a Presidential Pardon before Obama leaves office.These Dem sycophants will be good soldiers and take the blame,knowing full well they'll receive that pardon.

This will leave their messiah untouched.

Communist Goals

26. Present homosexuality and degeneracy as normal.
27. Discredit the Bible.
28. Eliminate prayer in the schools.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1561529/posts
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm thinking this has something to do with Fox not giving this much in the way of coverage....

http://www.aim.org/press-release/saudi-billionaire-boasts-of-manipulating-fox-news-coverage/

Please don't feed the trolls!
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is a smoke screen trying to blame Bush and keep Holder and Obama out of prison.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Actually, Fox has been giving Fast & Furious a lot of coverage over the last couple of months.

The fact that CBS is leading is a major shock.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This is far worse than anything Nixon ever did.

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Oops, update. Lanny Breuer is NOT admitting to knowing about Fast & Furious. But, he also doesn't flatly state that he DIDN'T know about it either.

He's apologizing for not admitting to telling about the Operation Wide Receiver gun walking. And because they didn't 'fess up to Bush's gun walking, this means they lied when the DOJ says they never allowed guns to walk.

Still doing that lawyer/politician 2 step..

And trying to shift all focus over to a screwup that happened under Bush, but was WAY different than Fast & Furious.

Here's his statement:

Assistant Attorney General Lanny A. Breuer of the Criminal Division released the following statement today:

"Throughout my tenure as Assistant Attorney General, one of my highest priorities, and one of the central missions that I have set for the Criminal Division, has been to work with out Mexican counterparts to fight the scourge of drug trafficking and violence in Mexico, and to address the public safety crisis along the Southwest Border of the United States. That is why, among many other steps, in 2009, I offered Southwest Border U.S. Attorneys' Offices assistance from one of the Criminal Division's experienced prosecutors to assist in gun trafficking prosecutions.

"In response to that offer, the Arizona U.S. Attorney's Office asked the Criminal Division prosecutor to assume responsibility for Operation Wide Receiver, and the Criminal Division's Gang Unit agreed to do so, despite not having been involved in the underlying flawed investigation of the matter by the Tuscon Field Office of the ATF's Phoenix Field Division in 2006 and 2007.

"As that prosecutor evaluated the case in the fall of 2009, she realized that ATF's investigation -- which had concluded two years earlier -- had included the use of misguided tactics that had resulted in ATF losing control of numerous guns that then crossed the border into Mexico. This information was brought to my attention in April 2010.

"When I learned of the unacceptable tactics used in Operation Wide Receiver, I instructed one of my Deputy Assistant Attorney Generals to schedule a meeting with ATF's Acting Director and Deputy Director to bring these issues to their attention. The next day, my Deputy met with the ATF Deputy Director and others to discuss this matter.

"In prosecuting the defendants in Operation Wide Receiver, the Criminal Division focused on how to ensure that those responsible for illegal firearms trafficking were brought to justice, despite the flaws in the investigation.

"Knowing what I now know was a pattern of unacceptable and misguided tactics used by the ATF, I regret that I did not alert others within the leadership of the Department of Justice to the tactics used in Operation Wide Receiver when they first came to my attention.

"When the allegations related to Operation Fast and Furious became public earlier this year, the leadership of ATF and the U.S. Attorney's Office in Arizona repeatedly assured individuals in the Criminal Division and the leadership of the Department of Justice that those allegations were not true. As a result, I did not draw a connection between the unacceptable tactics used by the ATF years earlier in Operation Wide Receiver and the allegations made about Operation Fast and Furious, and therefore did not, at that time, alert others within Depoartment leadership of any similarities between the two. That was a mistake, and I regret not having done so.

"I remain more committed than ever to the Criminal Division's mission to fight violence in the United States and Mexico."

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
This is far worse than anything Nixon ever did.

Yep Nixon spied on a bunch of rats.

These guys are supplying weapons that have killed several people and they had to be aware there was a better than little chance that was going to happen. They were and are it appears a involved in conspiracy to murder perhaps more.

NRA Lifetime Member
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by siskiyous6
This is a smoke screen trying to blame Bush and keep Holder and Obama out of prison.

There's about as much chance of those two going to prison as I have of giving Sophia Loren a 'bend-over' tonight!! sleep crazy

Even birds know not to land downwind!
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Oops, update. Lanny Breuer is NOT admitting to knowing about Fast & Furious. But, he also doesn't flatly state that he DIDN'T know about it either.

He's apologizing for not admitting to telling about the Operation Wide Receiver gun walking. And because they didn't 'fess up to Bush's gun walking, this means they lied when the DOJ says they never allowed guns to walk.

Still doing that lawyer/politician 2 step..

And trying to shift all focus over to a screwup that happened under Bush, but was WAY different than Fast & Furious.

Here's his statement:

Assistant Attorney General Lanny A. Breuer of the Criminal Division released the following statement today:

"Throughout my tenure as Assistant Attorney General, one of my highest priorities, and one of the central missions that I have set for the Criminal Division, has been to work with out Mexican counterparts to fight the scourge of drug trafficking and violence in Mexico, and to address the public safety crisis along the Southwest Border of the United States. That is why, among many other steps, in 2009, I offered Southwest Border U.S. Attorneys' Offices assistance from one of the Criminal Division's experienced prosecutors to assist in gun trafficking prosecutions.

"In response to that offer, the Arizona U.S. Attorney's Office asked the Criminal Division prosecutor to assume responsibility for Operation Wide Receiver, and the Criminal Division's Gang Unit agreed to do so, despite not having been involved in the underlying flawed investigation of the matter by the Tuscon Field Office of the ATF's Phoenix Field Division in 2006 and 2007.

"As that prosecutor evaluated the case in the fall of 2009, she realized that ATF's investigation -- which had concluded two years earlier -- had included the use of misguided tactics that had resulted in ATF losing control of numerous guns that then crossed the border into Mexico. This information was brought to my attention in April 2010.

"When I learned of the unacceptable tactics used in Operation Wide Receiver, I instructed one of my Deputy Assistant Attorney Generals to schedule a meeting with ATF's Acting Director and Deputy Director to bring these issues to their attention. The next day, my Deputy met with the ATF Deputy Director and others to discuss this matter.

"In prosecuting the defendants in Operation Wide Receiver, the Criminal Division focused on how to ensure that those responsible for illegal firearms trafficking were brought to justice, despite the flaws in the investigation.

"Knowing what I now know was a pattern of unacceptable and misguided tactics used by the ATF, I regret that I did not alert others within the leadership of the Department of Justice to the tactics used in Operation Wide Receiver when they first came to my attention.

"When the allegations related to Operation Fast and Furious became public earlier this year, the leadership of ATF and the U.S. Attorney's Office in Arizona repeatedly assured individuals in the Criminal Division and the leadership of the Department of Justice that those allegations were not true. As a result, I did not draw a connection between the unacceptable tactics used by the ATF years earlier in Operation Wide Receiver and the allegations made about Operation Fast and Furious, and therefore did not, at that time, alert others within Depoartment leadership of any similarities between the two. That was a mistake, and I regret not having done so.

"I remain more committed than ever to the Criminal Division's mission to fight violence in the United States and Mexico."

IT'S ALL BUSH'S FAULT!!!!
OBUMMER ET AL

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Breuer is just another liar making excuses for his boss.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
lets not forget that ole Lanny was a fall guy for the clintons as well. He is a professional flack taker.

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If Sharyl Attkisson doesn't get a Pulitzer for this series, something is SERIOUS whacked.

If Sharyl Attkisson suddenly has a bad accident, or is murdered by an unknown assailant, I will not be surprised.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rte
None of this matters.

This regime will throw anyone and everyone under the bus with the promise of a Presidential Pardon before Obama leaves office.These Dem sycophants will be good soldiers and take the blame,knowing full well they'll receive that pardon.

This will leave their messiah untouched.
It's how I see it as well..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
103 members (338reddog, 405joe, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 12 invisible), 1,385 guests, and 671 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,867
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.