I've sold all of my UA.

Somebody bought your used long handles?

GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by bcolorado
Has anyone tried the merino wool base layers that Costco is carrying?

I got one of the shirts, and was not impressed. It didn't seem to wick or dry, so I was wet and clammy all day. I have the full synthetic versions from Costco by the same company (Paradox) and they work better than any other synthetic I've tried.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hated wool for about 30 years, tried merino wool socks, found performance to be outstanding as well as comfortable. Now using merino stuff for underwear, gloves & hat. Fleece is still ok for short trips & more mild weather. UA underwhelmed me, and I think it is kinda overpriced.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
I've only used a couple of pieces from UA and I didn't care for it. After a few hours of sweating I couldn't get rid of the stink until I washed it.

I have only one piece of UA, I don't know if it's "HeatGear" or "ColdGear". It's a t-shirt that I've worn running a few times and it is just plain foul, rank, rancid, nasty, obscene, putrid. Doesn't matter how much it's washed. You wash it, it smells OK, then one drop of sweat makes contact with that shirt and it's like crawling into the drain of a high school gym shower.

I don't get the attraction to UA. From what I can understand, the founder was in football circles so used his connections with athletes to start selling athletic attire that is form-fitting and wicked away sweat. Wow, Lycra and polypro, 20 years after their introduction. And it even stinks like first-generation polypro.

I guess the football players really liked it though, cause he's made a [bleep] of money selling the stuff.

YMMV, of course.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have a set of UA that I haven't touched since I discovered merino.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Forgot to say, any of their "compression", form fitting, superman tights looking stuff is absolute crap, IMO.

Probably would be great for playing football, but I hate it for hunting.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those shirts are crap for hunting but they work good for playing sports. I used one when I played hockey and it always kept me cool even when I was sweating profusely, which was pretty much anytime I was on the ice.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

I
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
well if it smells that bad to us I can only immaagine how it smells to a deer. I guess i'll go with Merino wool or smart wool

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
You will be very wise to choose the merino!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
We run silk first, as a light layer, if need more then all the top layers are merino wool. Followed by wool pants is our next choice, and a berber fleece top tossed in for upper insulation, and final top layer is good wool jacket. By good I say thats next on the list, the wool we have needs a wind break, but if not windy its the cats azz, but I hear top dollar wool needs nothing to keep the wind at bay.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
BTW I've run all the synthetics and as noted, for a day they are fine, for more than a day the stink is horrible, and to be honest merino wool and silk have been much more tolerable in differing temp ranges... IE 15 at sunrise to 70 in the afternoon...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Merino for me. I sold everything with an Under Armour logo on it. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Merino is the way to go.

I wear First Lite stuff. Love it and enjoy the camo pattern for hunting.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Living out of UA is no fun from a comfort sense. If I'm going to be wearing something for days it better be comfy. Only piece of UA gear I use regular is a pair of bottoms and that is for winter running and snowshoeing.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
merino for me

My dad has used the Costco wool shirts for a few years and likes them. They are quite loose fitting though.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm the odd man out here. I have UA Cold Weather and will occasionally use it but not for highly aerobic activities. I found that the Duofold vari-therm stuff moves sweat a lot quicker. I use it for winter trail running and stand hunting in deer season where the hike in is crazy. The UA feels, in honesty, a bit warmer when I am just sitting around but it gets much heavier when I sweat and doesn't dry out as quickly as the Duofold does.

I have and love my merino wool top and bottom (400 weight) but only use it as an insulating layer. These two work very well in combination and I use them for practically all my stand hunting. The wool only goes on when I am through with the tough hike in though.

Will

Smellin' a lot of 'if' coming off this plan.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ralphie
It sucks compared to merino.

Originally Posted by huntem
I've sold all of my UA.

Somebody bought your used long handles?
You don't buy your underwear secondhand?? wink

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

343 members (1_deuce, 16penny, 204guy, 1minute, 1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 45 invisible), 2,354 guests, and 1,105 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,168
Posts18,465,336
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.