Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
What is the most accurate bolt action 22 lr you can buy out of the box? Not looking to spend cooper money. I've been told the ruger 77/22 or the cz 452. You guys feel that its between those two? Thanks.

BP-B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
well, most .22s iv'e known are not exactly tack drivers due to the shape of the bullet itself. of course, there are exceptions. the most accurate .22 bolt gun iv'e ever seen was a marlin 783 (.22 mag) so i would think the new xt22s with their micro grove barrels would be on up there, if not on the top. most rugers iv'e seen were not super accurate out of the box. now mind you i'm expert, but i hope this helps.

"8mm rem mag, reach out n' touch something"

"Those who say the .223 is weak probably have never heard of the "meat grinder".

SEMPER FI

Head practical joke coordinator of the turd-like people (aka the chitmonks)
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have owned numerous 22's over the years, mostly accurate ones, such as 40X.s, Win 52's, Rem 541's, Cooper's, Walther's and a slew of others. But without stepping up to the big dollar 22's the most accurate out of the box 22's I have run across are the CZ 452's.

They are not perfect, they require a bit of trigger work, the action requires quite a bit of cycling before it smooths out, the barrel channel may require some work to stop the barrel from rubbing, but each and everyone I have played with has been extremely accurate after just a bit of correction and a very low dollar investment up front.

If I could only afford one 22 and wanted the best "bang for the buck" it would be a CZ 452.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Coopers would be on the short list. I agree with CZ's, also. I have both. Also the Anschutz is a good one. Probably the best buy for an Anchutz is the Weatherby version. Anschutz action, Weatherby wood. I even had a 40XB sporter with a clip. It was accurate, but the match chamber wasn't that handy with regular ammo and I traded it for something, don't even remember what.

My favorite bolt action .22 LR squirrel rifle is a Cooper Classic with Kahles scope. I've made a number of offhand shots at 50 yds. The trigger is just that good and the rifle shoots one hole groups on my indoor 50' range. It's a keeper, for sure.

DF

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
under say about 750 bucks or so go cz.

IC B2

E
EWY Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I have not owned the Ruger so can't comment on it. I have two CZ 452s and my wife has one. All three are great shooters. All three have different ammo preferences.

Ernie

George Washington - �Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire,�conscience.�

God save the Republic
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One of the benchrest rifles, like Remington 40X, is probably the most accurate. Doubt a Ruger would be even close. If you're looking for a super accurate sporter, I like Anschutz, Brno, CZ, early Kimber. My most accurate .22 is an Anschutz 1416.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Gunchamp: Of the two brands you mention I would give the Ruger 77/22 V/T a try!
I have a couple of close friends that have the Ruger 77/22 V/T's and they ARE accurate.
One has had a Clark trigger job done it but the other is all stock - they both shoot just under 1/2" at 50 yards.
The rotary magazine of the Ruger just puts it in a class all by itself for speed, looks and convenience.
I had to spend some serious moola to get a Kimber Model 82-G, a Kimber Hunter/Silohuette and a Remington 40X that can BARELY outshoot my friends Rugers with Varminting ammo!
The CZ heavy barrel 22's shoot well indeed but the bassackwards safety and the hang down clips make them undesirable to me.
Best of luck with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The 22 lr.s do not have a "hang-down" clip, the CZ 22 mags and 17 HMR's do though.

I am not a fan of the backwards safety but then I never put a round in the chamber of any rifle until I am ready to shoot, and if I don't fire the round then I extract it, I do not rely on a safety anyway so it really wouldn't bother me.

It is hard to say something bad about a rifle that sells in the $350 range and performs like the CZ 452 does.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Do the CZs have the single set trigger?

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Stoney...

Yes, they do. I have one. It's call the Model 453.

The Model 453 is merely a Model 452 with a factory single-set trigger. As far as the "backwards safety" goes... I never use the safety on my Varmint-model CZ 453 (Varmint model = heavy 20" barrel, no sights). In addition, the 5-shot clip is "flush-fit" in the stock.

The Model 453 cost about $100 more than the Model 452 when new, so don't be surprised if a 453 owner wants to get some of that $100 back when selling the 453 used.

With careful adjustment of the small screw located next to the trigger inside the trigger guard, you can get the single-set trigger down to just "ounces" in trigger pull, but if you set it too light, it can be set off merely by moving the bolt-handle or flipping the safety on and off. But, again... I never use the safety and have never fired my CZ453 unless set up on a bench-rest. Therefore, there has never been any reason to fool around with the bolt-handle once a round is chambered.

While it was very accurate out-of-the-box, I had my gunsmith pillar-bed the action, fiberglas-bed the receiver and re-float the heavy barrel... and with Wolf Match Target ammo, it shoots 'most all of its rounds into one ragged hole at 50 yards. So far (in the past 3 years), I haven't run into ANY .22 rimfire rifles that will match the 453's accuracy. It's a REAL "sleeper"... (hehehehe)... and I've won several "free" soft-drinks thanx to the 453's excellent accuracy. grin

It probably wouldn't beat the best, most expensive "Annie", but it didn't cost those BIG BUCK$ either. See if you can find a CZ453 owner who is willing to part with his "baby" if you can't find a new one to buy.

Jus' my 2 �... smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If I was going to spend $750 or less on a good bolt .22 I would have to consider a Winchester, or Browning Repo model 52.

You would need to find one on the secondary market but they seem to be readily available.

Check out Rimfirecentral.com, the guys their seem to give good reviews on those guns.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You can pick up CMP Winchester 52Cs & Ds for less than $700. Most of them can put 10 shots into 1/3" - 3/8" or less at 50 yds with iron sights.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by gunchamp
What is the most accurate bolt action 22 lr you can buy out of the box? Not looking to spend cooper money. I've been told the ruger 77/22 or the cz 452. You guys feel that its between those two? Thanks.

Not every CZ, Ruger et al are gonna be as "accurate" as some poster on a forum tells you...it's all a crap shoot, though the odds are better if you stick with known performers.
Best thing you can do, is handle the rifles you're considering & decide from there. Once you get it, run different ammo through it till you find something it really likes, then buy a case or two...

That said, I've bought two CZ's this year.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My first rifle when I was 7 was a marlin 880. I hadn't shot it in awhile so last year I took it out. After plinking for awhile I decided to see if it could truely drive tacks. With my last 4 rounds I shot the tacks off my target at 50 yds. Don't know how the current Marlin 22lr compares but I sure like my 880.

Deal with it.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Alot of good on the cz. Thats what I've been hearing all over the place. Thanks.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mebbe a Remington 513T would do the trick. Only have a sample of one, but it's a bughole shooter. 513S would do the same if not abused in the field in the decades of its existence.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
How do the savage rifles shoot?

Last edited by gunchamp; 11/02/11.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I put a Tiney in my 452 just cause I like to tinker. It is set at 2.5 lbs and is very crisp. I also have an Anshutz and although a finer firearm, it does not shoot any better.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Are the new cz 455's as good as the 452's and 453's?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
658 members (1lessdog, 2500HD, 257 mag, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 10gaugemag, 71 invisible), 2,738 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,108
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.