Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
W
The 30s and war years were hard times for Arkansas wildlife. The lack of money in the 30s and most meat production going to the Army during the war made the people depend on wildlife for food. The state permanently closed the deer season in 1944. When the war was over they began attempts to rebuild the deer stocks by importing deer from Wisconsin and possibly Florida. The doe deer became the Queen of the forest, untouchable by the hunter.Large fines imposed on any who harmed the Queen. Stocking efforts were successful and in 1959 a short bucks only season was opened. Over the years the herd grew,and biologist felt removing a few doe in certain areas would improve the herd so a Doe Day was added on a specific date, to the season.(Rural schools often had 50% of students and almost that many teachers report they were sick that designated day) when I entered this game in the 80s there was still one designated day during the season you could take a doe. As time went on it was decided it was safer that a doe could be taken any day during the seasonso as not to concentrat the hunters. Herds continued to thrive and and more doe per season were added to the season limit. Around 2000 there were years you could even purchase extra doe tags. This year they announced a modern gun, 5 day, doe ONLY season. The Queen is dead. Long lived the Queen.

Last edited by websterparish47; 11/06/11.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Played out that way here in east Texas too with slight variations.
We grew up protecting the does. I remember the first time I killed a doe when it was made legal to do so I felt like a murderer. That was several years after the practice was made legal.

Quando Omni Moritati
W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by Boggy Creek Ranger
Played out that way here in east Texas too with slight variations.
We grew up protecting the does. I remember the first time I killed a doe when it was made legal to do so I felt like a murderer. That was several years after the practice was made legal.
Yeah, a lot of the older hunters wouldn't do it after is was legal.Opening day first year it was legal, we took 18 deer. Odd thing,9 of the hunters thought they were shooting does, turned out were full grown bucks with very short horns.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can shoot many does a year, doesn't phase me a bit. I remember when IF you drew a doe tag it was a big deal. and even though it was allowed with archery gear you still went for bucks. like it was a lesser thing to shoot a doe. glad I'm over the hesitation to drop a freezer pleaser smile

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
I can shoot many does a year, doesn't phase me a bit. I remember when IF you drew a doe tag it was a big deal. and even though it was allowed with archery gear you still went for bucks. like it was a lesser thing to shoot a doe. glad I'm over the hesitation to drop a freezer pleaser smile
Your right on that. I'm there for food. A nice rack looks good but is hard to eat.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Like it our not, you have to kill them in some areas where they are as numerous as fleas if you want to maintain a healthy population and a decent buck to doe ratio.

Puting a few "Queens" in the skillet is a win/win.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Also its a nice way to put up a set of fuzzy wind chimes.....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'm 46 and have yet to shoot a doe. One day.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
They are out there...waiting for you.....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ive got 8 do tags for Wisconsin rifle season its gonna look like s fuzzy pipe organ when im done lol

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I never shot one until 4 years ago, now I try to get atleast 2 a year for the freezer. They taste great and are more tender than an old buck.

Wac em and stack em
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i have yet to kill a doe as well. i have applied for the tag for 6 years. im supposed to get it next year on points, but only time will tell.

i doubt very much that the doe season will ever take off around here. its too much money made for the state to not give the tags out.

i know people who have applied for years for a tag in a unit with say 500 tags and 600 first choice applicants. they have applied for 5 or more years before drawing the tag if they ever draw one at all.

our F and G is FUBAR.

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
My first deer (taken in 1966) was a doe. It was taken on a ranch in south-central Montana where the rancher had frowned on anybody taking does for many years. Like many ranchers, he equated doe-killing to sending his productive Hereford cows to the slaughterhouse. Consequently on a normal hunting day you'd see 100 skinheads and one or two forkhorn bucks. He finally started letting people shoot ONE doe (two tags could be purchased) about the time I started hunting there.

I may only shoot does this year here in Montana. Last year I did, because I never saw a buck that really qualified, passing up a 170-175 mule deer and a 135-140 whitetail. Neither was an exceptional buck, so why kill them? I have plenty of antlers hanging around the place, both on mounted heads and the rafters of the garage.

Even when deer are down in some parts of Montana, there are always places that have plenty of does. It makes more sense to take them than shoot a buck that may grow up to be a truly big buck. But a lot of people still whack the first 2-1/2 year old buck they see, when there's a big doe standing right next to it.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
My sentiments exactly Mr Barsness, its for that reason that I've yet to shoot a 'true' racked buck in my hunting career. I've taken plenty of does, and a few big spikes, but have yet to see a buck I've really wanted to shoot. Let some walk that others would have layed into for sure.

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Years in Florida and it was only a weekend for doe and that was it. Then they changed it to a week long and that week pretty much corresponded with the rut. It was nothing to find bucks that week, doe not so much.

Same with living in Louisiana back in the day, one weekend.

Nine years living in Alaska, doe were off limits.

Last year in Texas, all lined up for a doe and out popped a gray fox that I wanted, so down went the fox.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
now to convince the locals that it ok to shoot them. I have been hunting and Southern ARK for 30 years and the local mentality has always been that more does = more deer. and somehow that more deer is better deer.
More is not always better and when your talking wildlife its never the answer.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
We had 10 doe tags between five family members in North Florida for awhile. They pretty well let us youngsters shoot them up. On the same note, the youngsters were usually sat on stands where hogs were plentiful and mature bucks few.

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

I have plenty of antlers hanging around the place, both on mounted heads and the rafters of the garage.

Correction:

I Have been to your garage many times...

I have plenty of antlers hanging in my garage...

You have a SCHITTLOAD!!!! grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Louisiana changed its laws on deer a few years ago. They went to a similiar season like Miss. Allowed 3 does and 3 bucks per year. Take them any day you want to. They did go back to the tagging system.

Some of the management areas have different rules.

The little ones eat the best... and the wife refuses to cook the horns! Claims there tough or something....?

Last edited by Oldmanms2003; 11/06/11.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
When I started hunting in michigan, you had to be drawn for a doe, then if you had private land, you could get one for the asking, now, it's regional, and in the southern lower, you can get several per year.

When I lived in VA, the big gamelicense was good for 4 deer, three turkeys and a bear, and only one of the deer had to be a buck. in some counties, you could buy a $12.50 bonus permit good for two antlerless deer. You could buy that every day of the season if you wanted, and take two deer per day. then there were the DMAP permits. I had one co-worker who routinely shot 30-40 does per season on Ft. A.P. Hill, and none of it went to waste.

My first deer was a doe, and I've killed many since. I've gotten to the point where I'll let all but a big buck walk, in favor of a big doe.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
184 members (32_20fan, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 24 invisible), 2,061 guests, and 974 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,648
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.