-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Has anyone ever ordered a McMillan for a Ruger Ultralight rifle? With the skinnier barrels I cant see the standard Ruger Mc's working.

GB1

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I've got one that I ordered must be 15 or more years ago in woodland or forest camo for a tang safety 30-06. I ordered it from McMillan inletted for the standard contour barrel not the ultralight. I can't say how the skinny barrel would balance but I liked the way it felt with the ultralight stock/standard barrel configuration. It had a weight forward balance that would have been nice for offhand shooting.

I sold the rifle and never used the stock, still sitting in the original shipping box from McMillan, I just lost interest in the project! I do like the stock though, shame they quit selling the ultralights,

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Here's a side by side of a Hawkeye UL in a Mk2 Hunter next to a M7 in a Rem Compact. Both are factory 20" tubes. Hard to tell which forearm is which. I opted for the hunter over the Mk2 Classic since it has a narrower forearm (#4 vs 5). A shorter forearm or a longer barrel would have better esthetics, but the best solution would be a Micky copy of the hawkeye wood stock.

Pete

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the info and pics Pete, so would you go the McM route again on the ultralight?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The problem is there ain't much to choose from in Mk2/Hawkeye glass stocks.
That McM only adds 2 oz over the factory tupperware, and the ergos are night and day.
I guess in a round about way I'm saying yes, I would.

Pete

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Cool thanks.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Savuti
The problem is there ain't much to choose from in Mk2/Hawkeye glass stocks.
That McM only adds 2 oz over the factory tupperware, and the ergos are night and day.
I guess in a round about way I'm saying yes, I would.

Pete
That's what I've found as well, not a lot out there. MPI and Brown Precision are the only one's I know of that make a "light-ish" stock for the MKII. Brown still doesn't list it on their website, but I had on in hand at a sportsman's show and have an email stating they do make them. A poster (IIRC 338RCM is his handle) here had a gunsmith fit a Bansner to a MKII. But, I don't know what that cost.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Here's a side by side of a Hawkeye UL in a Mk2 Hunter next to a M7 in a Rem Compact. Both are factory 20" tubes. Hard to tell which forearm is which. I opted for the hunter over the Mk2 Classic since it has a narrower forearm (#4 vs 5). A shorter forearm or a longer barrel would have better esthetics, but the best solution would be a Micky copy of the hawkeye wood stock.

Pete

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Savuti,

Would it be possible to get you to snap a picture of your MkII in the hunter stock like the below photo so that I can see the underside profile? I'm trying to get an idea of the width at the balance point as compared to the factory ultralight stock....

[Linked Image]

I would very much appreciate it!

Thanks,

David

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I don't have an UL wood stock. Do you want the MK2 Micky next to the factory UL tupperware?

Pete

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'm sorry I wasn't very clear in my request. I just want a picture of the underside of your rifle. I have an UL stock, can visually compare dimensions vs. floor plate in the picture. I would also appreciate any comparisons you can offer about the width vs. the factory UL stock.

Thanks

David

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hope this is what you needed. As you can see, from the mag well forward the tupperware is wider.
Interestingly, McMillan has found so much variation in Hawkeye bottom metal that they'll want the parts to be sure of a good fit.

Pete

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Hope this is what you needed. As you can see, from the mag well forward the tupperware is wider.
Interestingly, McMillan has found so much variation in Hawkeye bottom metal that they'll want the parts to be sure of a good fit.

Pete

[Linked Image]

Thank You!

That's exactly what I was hoping for! Definitely see a Ruger Hunter stocked rifle in my future - been thinking this would make a sweet combination for the 338RCM.

Regards,

David

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

626 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 67 invisible), 2,032 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,257
Posts18,448,126
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.