Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Take them down a .17 mach 2 & see if it gets approved... grin

ETA: The stupid bastards are likely to not know the difference.

Last edited by Middlefork_Miner; 09/17/11.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
They (DEEP) have the specs and want to see the cartrage.

Sooo friggin' stupid... the whole issue of rimfire only and then adding this to it magnifies the stupidity ten fold.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by jim62
... As for those who say head shots are not practical with a 17HMR- BS. When you call a coyote they are generally looking RIGHT at the source of the sound and pretty much lock on that. Especially at rimfire ranges . Their head does not move that much.

Since we're calling bullshit - there it is. Jim, your post strikes me as "pissy." Sure they lock on the source of the sound and are looking at or for it - while they're advancing, quartering to or quartering from, or retreating. The entire time they are working that nose, which is attached to the head btw. I don't see coyotes lay around or sit on their ass for extended periods of time within easy range while approaching a calling set-up. When speaking of brain shots... Once again, head shot means "brain shot" not just anywhere in the punkin' blowing a jaw up, poking out an eye, or piercing an ear. Brain shot, which is a fairly small target, moving, and from field shooting positions. All the while doing so in cover of some sort, brush, tall grass, standing timber, crops, ect. I never said it was impossible, in fact I've done it. What I did say was, it is complicated and will cost a lot of otherwise good opportunities.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Mogc is dead-on. I've killed coyotes with my truck, but the 223 is better and the 22-250 is better yet. I have killed them with a bow, but I want them dead and a missed dog is hard to call again and often the bulls-eye shot is the most certain.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
For clarity in the last post I was referring directly to the stupidity of the state game agencies that mandate rimfire only and small shot sizes for a shotgun. Both are less than ideal for the hunter or the prey and have no real bearing on poaching or safety in most cases. Just doesn't make sense to handicap or cripple the hunters opportunities or the game animal that is the prey species. That last post using the word "stupid" wasn't directed to the poster stuck in this situation.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B2

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I simply agree with you in that I would hate to be relegated to head shots primarily. MCK talks about the stupidity of the dogs he wants to hunt. He is in for a shock as to how fast they will smarten up after a few are sniped and a few are called in. The hunting is likely to get very challenging real quick.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Gotcha... smile

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
I did not say anything about "stupidity of the dogs" and I have been hunting coyotes here for over 20 years. I know how to kill them and I know how to hunt them. What works out west doesn't always work here and vise versa. No coyote is stupid.

MOGC Believe me this isn't the only f-ed up hunting reg in this state. The list goes on and on. The problem is that liberals will use any and everything they can to solidify their position. Blue Laws they like they fight for, Blue Laws they don't like they fight against. None of which makes sense as most of them are not religous to begin with. Being one of the richest states in the country their are many happy and willing donators to the Liberal ticket. So we lose on pretty much every hunting and gun rights law there is.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
get a good tough tracking dog,if legal

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Any movement on this ??

Did anyone ever make a determination on the 5mm Rem Mag ??

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Still waiting to hear

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nothing like them getting in a hurry for you, huh ??

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
right!

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Yoder on a good note I think I have a small farm that I will be getting promission to hunt soon. Which means I can use my .17Rem there.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Yoder on a good note I think I have a small farm that I will be getting promission to hunt soon. Which means I can use my .17Rem there.

Good deal, there.

Updates on success stories and the .17's performance on vermin as they arise, please.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Ghostman
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Considering how piss-weak an HMR is, at 200 yards, even on prairie dogs, coyotes at 200 aren't really an option.

+1 Based on my experience using the HMR on Fox I would NEVER consider using one for Yotes.

Aw, you guys don't know what you're talking about! wink Just look in this month's issue of Predator Xtreme magazine. There you'll find a test of an Anschutz Model 1717 in .17HMR by a guy named Stephen Carpenteri. Some quotes regarding 17 gr. V-Max: "hold about 4-inches high at 200 yards and no coyote, bobcat, or fox will walk away"; or "hit coyotes anywhere in the front half (rib cage to eyeballs) and don't worry about having to bolt in a second shot". I suppose that second quote could be true, only because the lightly-injured coyote would be so far away and running so fast you'd be wasting your time racking another round. I used to like this magazine when Ralph Lehrmeyer was editor; incidentally, he often railed against using the "sub-caliber" centerfires (including the .204) on coyotes because they were too small to mortally wound, and the runoffs would become potential stock-killers. Not sure why Lehrmeyer's no longer there, but Bob Robb's constant political diatribes are getting tiring; frankly, so is Carpenteri's bragging about his own marksmanship. Doubt if I'll renew.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
RowdyYates: I think you answered your own question as to why the person you identify as Ralph Lehrmeyer is GONE - its because of the horrifically stupid mistake he made regarding the lethality of the 204 Ruger cartridge!
You just can't employ people that stupid and be successful anymore.
I indeed read the whole issue of Predator Xtreme in question (December 2,001) finishing it just yesterday.
I agree - I don't think I will be subscribing to it any time soon. I get my issues from a friend and fellow Varminter who does subscribe.
I am perhaps the worlds most enthusiastic 17 HMR user/supporter - but even I had to roll my eyes at that poorly written article and especially the portions you highlight.
Now, I don't expect perfection from any form of media that I want to be entertained by but I think I will stick with "The Varmint Hunter Magazine" for now.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,690 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,216
Posts18,466,338
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.