Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Shot the H&R ultra slug hunter 12ga for years. It really liked the Hornady SST slugs. Great long range stand gun. Only downside was the weight, I even removed the metal rod from the stock and it's still a boat anchor. if you're doing drives through the woods I'd look in a different direction.
One might consider it in a 20ga, could be a bit lighter.

BP-B2

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I don't get/have to do slug hunting but a couple of times a year. So far I've tried a Rem 11-87 with cantilever rifled barrel, 1 H&R 20 ga ush, 1 H&R 20 ga ush chambered to 3 1/2" by Hastings, 1 Savage 220, 1 T/C Encore Pro Hunter in 20 ga., Mossberg 500 12 ga cantilever mount and an Ithaca Deerslayer II guide model 12 ga.

I've gotten rid of several of those. And have a couple for sale now...LOL.

My favorites are the Encore, Savage, and Ithaca. But favoritism is a very individual thing. What I like you may not like.

All have been capable of killing deer at 100 yards with slug they like. Triggers, for the most part, suck on slug guns. Exceptions are the Savage and the Encore.

Try as many as you can and buy the one that trips your trigger (pardon the pun).

Slug guns today are leaps and bounds ahead of what was available just a few years ago.

As for choices in slugs, your gun will tell you what it prefers. There are slugs that have gained reputations with me for being accurate in most guns. These include the Remington Buckhammer, Lightfields, Remington Copper Solids, Remington Accutips, and Federal Barnes Tipped Expanders.

My favorites of those are the Buckhammers and the Accutips.

With all that said, shooting a slug gun is different than shooting a deer rifle. Not controlling the jump of the shotgun during the recoil impulse but holding down and back on the forearm will cause you major problems. You can't lay a slug gun on a sandbag and expect the point of impact to be the same as when you are actually holding it correctly (i.e. the forearm).

I know a lot of guys think that last statement is hogwash. To each his own, but I've seen it happen way too many times to discount it. The slug hasn't exited the barrel by the time the recoil impulse acts upon the shotgun, thus, your groups are going to look like patterns.

Sorry for the long response. Have fun in your search.

Ken

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
My Dad shoots an 870 with Hastings that does well. My brother shoots an H&R USH and it shoots ragged holes. My issue with them is the 870 needs a better stock to get a good cheek weld and the USH kicks.

I bought a Savage 210 and did some work to it. I couldn't be happier. You can find them cheap and make them awesome with a few new parts and a little work.
[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I would echo tbear's thoughts on his old 37 Deerslayer. Mine shoots right with my rifled 1300 at 100 yards (both accurate enough to make any miss at that range strictly my fault). It also has the advantage of shooting the less expensive Fosters. As for rifled slugs and barrels, be prepared to spend a fair amount of money finding what combination works best. My 1300 favors Federal/Barnes, my son's Mossberg-barreled 870 likes most anything, and my hunting partners A-Bolt likes Hornady SSTs. We have shot quite a variety of brands in figuring this out. The expense has not been insignificant, but the entertainment from the sight of flying snot encircling the scope,receiver, and shooter's face have somewhat lessened the pain in the pocketbook. Speaking of pain, be sure and give the Remington Buckhammers a try if that is important to you. Also, after reading freak's post, I was reminded to recommend a leather lace-on cheek piece.

Last edited by 5sdad; 11/13/11.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Rem 1100 or 11-87 with open adjustable sights makes the holes touch at 50 yards. The is with just the rifled screw in choke.

That was as shock. I didn't expect it to be that good.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I just put a Savage 220 together for a guy I work with and was really quite pleased with it. Unlike my 210 there is no need for a new trigger. It will also shoot twice as good with its favorite load (.75 vs 1.5MOA). It doesn't weigh as much or kick as hard. If I were to buy a second gun it would be a 220 in 20GA.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Since I live in a Slug only county and the majority of the state is slug only I've owned or tried LOTS of slug guns over the years. These include Ithaca 37 DeerSlayers, Remington 870, 1100 and 11-87s with both Remington and Hastings barrels, several H&R Ultra Slughunters, Mossburg 695, Savage 220 and 2 Benelli M2s.

Most would shoot less than 2" 3 shot groups @ 100 yards with sabot slugs. The most consistently accurate I've owned have been the Benelli's and the Savage 220F. Both have faster twists than most barrels which I've found works better for premium type slugs like Accutips, Barnes Expanders etc. My Benelli's and Savage will shoot a ragged hole 100 yard group.

Last edited by Ghostman; 11/15/11.
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by 7mmfreak
I just put a Savage 220 together for a guy I work with and was really quite pleased with it. Unlike my 210 there is no need for a new trigger. It will also shoot twice as good with its favorite load (.75 vs 1.5MOA). It doesn't weigh as much or kick as hard. If I were to buy a second gun it would be a 220 in 20GA.

This. Put a 6x42 Leupold on there, and you would be in good shape...

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Why do people keep prefacing with,"This." when they post a declarative statement? What does that mean?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Confuses me as well. Near as I can tell, it would put the statement on the opposite side of the fence from "That", and quite some distance from "The Other Thing".

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by 7mmfreak
Why do people keep prefacing with,"This." when they post a declarative statement? What does that mean?

Wow, just agreeing with you...guess that makes once...

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
The ammo usually has more limits than the guns themselves.

I wouldn't want to carry the slug gun that ate anything and everything...

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
nyskt100,

I get that you agreed; I wasn't bashing your post. I legitimately don't understand the use of, "This." THIS is a singular demonstrative which requires some frame of reference. Is the frame of reference the quote? I want to know why and how THIS is being used because I always come away from such posts unsure.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My 20ga.Savage 220f with 3 inch federal barnes expanders & my browning 12 ga.A-bolt with 2 3/4 lightfield sabots.Deadly combo out to 150 yards.coobie

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
We have two Remington 11-87's slug guns. One 12 ga. with a 21" rifled barrel, cantilever scope mount with a 2-7x33mm Leupold scope. And a 20 ga. with a 21" rifled barrel, cantilever scope mount with a Nikon 2-7x32mm scope (it's like carrying a rifle!). The 12 ga. is mine and the 20 ga. is my fathers. He hasn't hunted in years so I used either one, when ever I want.

I don't mind carrying the heavier 12 ga. but this year I'm using the 20 ga. I was using 2 3/4" Lightfields and it shot pretty well. For some reason I couldn't get them to shoot that well this year. So I tried the Hornady SST's and Federal Premium 3" Barnes Expander HP (1900 FPS) Slugs. I tried the 3" slugs because for some reason they didn't stock the 2 3/4" Barnes Expander HP (1600 FPS) Slugs. My friends daughter just wrecked a nice 8 point at about 50 yards with an 11-87 20 ga. shooting Federal Premium 2 3/4" Barnes Expander HP (1600 FPS) Slugs. It was a bang flop, hit in the heart/lung area, never took another step. He shot a little bigger deer with his 1100 12 ga. using 2 3/4" Winchester Partition Gold Slugs. It only went a few yards.

The SST's were real erratic. They'd shoot 2 1/2" groups, I'd let the barrel cool down, then they'd shoot a 4 to 5" group. The Federal's shot 2 1/2 to 3" groups, shooting the same three shot groups from a cold barrel. All at 100 yards. Going from the Lightfields to the SST's and Federal's I had to lower my scope 6" at 50 yards. The Lightfields were about 3" high at 50 yards to be zeroed at 100 yards, not a huge deal (about the same with the 12 ga.). The SST's and Federal's are about an 1 1/2" high at 50 yards while zeroed at 100 yards in the 20 ga.

About 90% of my deer hunting is with a rifle so I'm not a big slug gun hunter. In fact I don't like them but in my home county rifles aren't allowed. You have to go check out as many different guns as you can. Once you find the one you like, you have to find a slug it likes.

Good luck, NYH1! wink

Take nothing I say personal, remember....it's just the interweb!

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I had the pleasure of shooting a Browning Silver 20 ga with a rifled barrel topped with a Nikon SlugHunter 3-9x40 BDC 200 dialed in for Winchester Supreme 260 grain Sabot's. Nikon held a shooting competition back in June and this was one of the shooting stations the almost 200 competitors had to shoot at. Competitors were shooting this rig at 2 deer sized targets with a 6 inch metal strike area where impact was needed to receive points. One target was 86 yards and the other 146 yards. Utilizing the BDC Reticle on the SlugHunter scope many of the competitors received max points taking their shots at the farthest target. I know may of the guys walked away from this station saying they never even thought about shooting a 20 ga. slug gun for deer hunting but they certainly are now. I was very impressed with the Browning Slug Gun and how it all worked so well with the Winchester's Sabot Ammo and Nikon's Scope.
http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/bman940/20gaslughunter.jpg

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
711 members (10Glocks, 11point, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 160user, 91 invisible), 2,720 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,872
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.