Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Dean_A Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I just came across a Remington 660 in .308 cal which is a one owner and in excellent condition. I don't know too much about this model other than it is based on the XP-100 action and had a limited production life. I am requesting opinions on this rifle as I am considering purchasing for my son. Indended use for Moose and Deer hunting. Are they good shooters? Any history of problems? Any aftermarket upgrades available? (stocks or triggers?) Do they have any value as compared to the model 700's?

DeanA
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have owned a couple of 660's in 308 and both were very good shooters, more than adequate for hunting. With that said - due to the light weight and short barrel they have signicant muzzle blast and recoil for a 308 cartridge.

They are in high demand and generally bring a premium price, they have almost reached the status of a cult item.

I don't regret selling my 308's but I had one in 243 that I do regret selling, it seemed to be about the perfect cartridge for the 660.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I had a 308 as well and shot way under an inch, hang on tho.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dean A - have an older Mohawk 600 in .308Win and it's a great shooter (a little "blasty" due to its short barrel) but very handy in a jeep or stand. Check the serial number with Remington to see if their safety recall has been complied with. Stock config is like holding a 2X4 in your hand due to the square edges and impressed checkering not the greatest BUT at its $104 cost (new many years ago) I liked it enough to keep it. Works well with a Redfield 2-7X scope. Homesteader.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
1-I have one. With scope and sling but unloaded weighs 7lbs 15 oz.
2-Do not adjust the trigger below 3#. and clean the trigger with break fluid and compressed air. DONOT OIL AND KEEP DRY.
3-Start your son off with "managed recoil" loads or beginning loads from the reloading manual.

NRA: Benefactor
There's never time to do it right,
but there's always time to do it over!!
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a 660 350 mag I bought this year. There's a recall on the trigger from the 70's and Remington will still do the recall if it has not been done. The gent I bought mine from sent it to Remington last year. If the safety locks the bolt when in the "safe" position the recall has not been done. I installed a safety that locks the bolt closed with the safety in the safe position but allows you to unlock the bolt with the safety still engaged by pushing the safety lever down towards the trigger guard. Timney makes a 600/660 trigger with this feature. I bought an aluminum trigger guard made by cvmw here at the campfire. It good quality and Willie stands behind his product.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have a Rem 660 in .350 mag and after reading about the origional recalls I thought mine had been updated as it has a V stamped on left side of trigger. My safety will lock the bolt when on safe. Is this not correct?
Karl

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Homesteader
Stock config is like holding a 2X4 in your hand due to the square edges
That's the truth! My grandson thought that he wanted me to buy my brothers Mohawk for him but after holding it......no way did he want it. It was a 308 and I felt the recoil would be too much for him but he just loved the looks of it but the feel of the stock changed his mind. I was glad.

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That 2x4 stock sits on the front bag mighty nice, no wobble laugh

Dave

D
Dean_A Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Thanks for the info and comments guys! I guess most importantly I should confirm that the trigger/safety recall has been completed! Should I assume that if either the bolt can be opened while safety is "On", or there is a "V" stamped on the trigger it is OK? I also found the feel of the stock to be a little on the "square" side! That is why I am asking if there are aftermarket stocks or original Remington blanks available. This could be a sweet handling little rifle with a slim schnable fore end! Also,this rifle has a very light and crisp trigger pull with almost no creep. Are these triggers adjustable? How does $350 Canadian sound?

DeanA
IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by marlinshooter1
I have a Rem 660 in .350 mag and after reading about the origional recalls I thought mine had been updated as it has a V stamped on left side of trigger. My safety will lock the bolt when on safe. Is this not correct?
Karl

You are correct. The info online shows the bolt lock was not always removed in the 1979 recall. It is removed now. Mine has the inverted V also. My bad. I got a bit of bad info. Dave

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Dean, for $350 wear a mask because IMHO it's a steal! The "V" shows the recalll has been done.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Thank's Dave. Some people don't like the stock's. Mine fit's me well and I would buy another if priced reasonable.
Karl

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dean A - want an excuse to refinish the 660's stock? With a little elbow grease those 'square' edges can be gently rounded off, enough to feel comfortable carrying, while still snug on the front bag. Will also remove the original bowling pin plastic finish so a nicer (IMO) oil finish can be applied. At the same time, remove the hard plastic butt plate and install a new recoil pad. That should mitigate objectionable recoil...does for me. Homesteader.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Ramline makes a stock for the 660.

NRA: Benefactor
There's never time to do it right,
but there's always time to do it over!!
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The trigger should not be a deterent, take it to a Remington authorized warranty dealer and they will replace the trigger. I knew mine had not been replaced because the firing pin would fire when I closed the bolt on an empty chamber. It never happened with a round in the chamber but I still had it replaced.

Dave

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Way back in 1973 I bought a Remington 660 chambered to the .308. I thought it was the stock that made it kick so hard so I restocked it to the Mannlicher style, wood to the muzzle. Still kicked like a mule even with a recoil pad. One year, my kids gave me a set of those Mickey mouse hearing protectors and WOW, where did all the kick go. Turned out it was the blast of my very hot reloads that made me think the gun was kicking so hard.
Then came the first recall. I took it to a remington authorized dealer for the repair and apparently they had to open up the stock for the new trigger assembly. During a couple of rainy day hunts and the stock swelled up enough to split on the inside and accuracy went all to hell. I fixed it but it was never the same regarding accuracy so when I heard about H.S. Precision making very lightweight synthetic stocks, I drove up to their plant up in Prescot Arizona and got fixed up with their very lightweight fiberthane stocke which has been on this gun ever since and is one of my all time favorites. As far as accuracy goes,I made the longest shot I ever made on a deer with that rifle and every deer shot with it has been a one shot kill. For the record, I've taken deer with thay rifle from 6 feet to 427 paces. (No rangefinders back then.) One of my hunting buddies wounded the deer and it was getting away.
One word of advice. Do not make up hot loads with H335 for that rifle. Oh they're accurate as hell but the flash and muzzle blast are horrendous. I switched to IMR4895 and while the gun still has a bark to it, it's nowhere the level made with H335.
If I had the chance to pick up another one of those rifles for a decent price, I'd be all over it like stink from a skunk.
Me and my 660 have covered an awful lot of miles together and the Good Lord be a willin', we'll cover many more miles.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Scoutman - got one of them. It was loose around the recoil lug. Additionally, the 600's short 18 inch barrel didn't look right with the Ramline's longer forearm... Retro-fitted the factory stock after modifying it. Homesteader.

D
Dean_A Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Thanks for all the info and suggestions guys. I think I am going to jump on this one and turn it into a winter project! I will try to post some pictures when it is done. Cheers!!

DeanA
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
worth mentioning that if you are not real fond of it as is, they make great donor actions for light weight builds...Basner makes stocks for them as well as other quality makers...I'm currently accumulating parts to build 3 light weights using 600 mohawks as donors(3 kids, and excuse to build 3 matching rifles!)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

448 members (1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 36 invisible), 2,296 guests, and 1,046 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,494
Posts18,452,390
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.