Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Ebby Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I was inspired by Dryflyelk's recent video and wanted to pass along some of the info that I have. I have also been looking at new boots. I just got back from a Dall Sheep hunt and used Kenetrek Hardscrabbles and Lowa Tibet's. My Lowa's got too close to the fire and the rand shrunk and the toe collapsed and were unwearable after that on day 4. I switched to the Kenetrek at that time. The Lowa gave me a pressure point/pain under my great toe on the 3rd day but no blister but it did hurt some. My Kenetrek's did well but rubbed a blister on my left heel after several climbs with 100lb's on my back.

For those reasons, I began a search for new boots. I sold my Kenetreks for a steal and Lowa sent me new pair which are for sale currently.

After speaking with Brad here on the fire and with Jason Hairston of KUIU, I ordered some Crispi boots. I have a very narrow heel, medium arch, low volume and wide forefoot. Brad felt like the Crispi boots may be good for my foot. I ordered directly from Miles Munger who is the owner of the company that is importing them to the US. Super nice guy and very receptive to me and my questions. I ordered quite a few pairs and can give a little info. They also have a 25% off deal going for now.

Website is www.crispiusa.com

I also ordered a pair of Hanwag Alaska GTX and Trapper GTX from Lathrop and Sons. Great customer service as well and a sponsor on this site.

I ordered the Meindl Alaska Hunter and Denali Fit IQ hiker from Cabelas. The did not have the Alaska hiker in stock.

I still had my Lowa's and Kenetreks to compare to.

Weights given for size 12.

Crispi Boots:

Miles says that active hunting will get you down to -20F and to about 10F when sitting still using the tall insulated models like the Hunter or Wild and about 5-10 degrees less on the Nevada, Spider, Paradiso, Kanada or Granite.

I was very pleased with the Crispi boots and they all fit me like a glove. Extremely comfortable and leather lined with Goretex. They have a proprietary system of fitting the gore-tex which is a 2 layer process which prevents any abrasion to the fabric and will prevent any future leaks. They also have a Vibram sole which is very sticky but he says that it will last 30% longer than other Vibram styles. Crispi has a full 100% guarantee for life of boot. This is pretty standard among all of these boots.

Lineup:

Hunter: 11" tall insulated boot with full rand. Very comfortable and not too stiff. 5lb 2ozs

Nevada: shorter with less insulation but a little and full rand-similar to the Hardscrabble, most comfortable boot I've worn. 4lb 5ozs

Spider: same boot as the Nevada but no rand and a more aggressive sticky sole. Same comfort but 3-4 ozs heavier, I preferred the Nevada. 4lb 10ozs

Gran Paradiso: probably their premier boot, great comfort, 9" tall similar to the Lowa Tibet or Hanwag Alaskan but not near as stiff, extremely comfortable but the tongue is a little stiff and hit me in an odd way on my left ankle, would probably break in though and the right side gave me no trouble. 4lb 5ozs

Dryflyelk covered all of these others but I'll list some features:

Lowa Tibet-Stiff, bombproof boot, not real cushy but comfortable. Leather has some stretch and give to the boot body which helped with feel. Good fit for my feet but not as comfy as the Crispi.Slightly larger heel than the Crispi but the tightest fit of all the German boots 4lb 12ozs

Hanwag Alaskan GTX-most bombproof boot here, very stiff but just feels indestructible, not cushy but surprisingly comfortable for being so stiff. Leather was stiff as well and did not flex much when walking. Roomier heel than the Lowa's and I had some slippage when climbing up my stairs. 4lb 10ozs

Meindl Denali-Very large heelcup and did not fit my feet very well at all. Didn't go into much analysis due to that. 4lb 8ozs

Meindl Alaskan Hunter-Similar to the Denali in heel size and wasn't very comfortable for me so I didn't do much with it. 5lb 6ozs

Hanwag Trapper-Taller and insulated version of the Alaskan. Very stiff as well but more comfortable and didn't feel as stiff to me but when you compared them off the foot, they were just as stiff. Very bombproof construction as well. I liked these a lot. Fit was slightly different and better for my feet than the Alaska (not sure why, heel was more secure), I would have needed an 11.5 though I think. 5lb 10ozs

Kenetrek Hardscrabble-not much to say, great boot, very comfy, not quite as stiff as the Hanwag's, about like the Lowa's but shorter. Wider heel than the Lowa's, about like the Hanwag. 4lb 3ozs

I've ordered the Wild, Granite, and Kanada from Crispi just to see how they fit and what they are all about. I'll let you guys know. Overall, I was very pleased with the lineup from Crispi. The boots are not as stiff as the others in this list so how they hold up with heavy weight remains to be seen but I think they will work fine. Jason used the Hunter model on his sheep hunt and was pleased. Hope this helps a little.

Lee

Last edited by Ebby; 10/12/11.
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
wow

that is quite the boot collection

you didnt leave much to chance

looking forward to hearing more especially about the Gran Paradiso

thanks for posting

Last edited by ShootOne; 10/13/11.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sweet. I've been wondering about those Crispis. I may have to try a pair of those nevadas or gran paradisos that are on sale. It looks like they don't come in half sizes after 10? That kindof sucks.

I'm also thinking about trying those Scarpa Liskamms. Those look like they'd be bomber, too.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Lee,

Thanks for posting your results so far. I will be very interested to see how you like the additional boots you ordered. I too suffer from a normal to wide fore foot and narrow heel. Lowa's are the only brand that will work for me however I have never tried Crispi. I like the look of the Nevada and the Yukon.....

Andy

Ebby Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Dryflyelk, they come in 1/2 sizes. A little glitch on the website. Call Miles and he will get them for you. I ordered 11.5 in the new boots b/c the 12's seem just a little roomy. I'm gonna compare the 11.5's to he 12's. They agreed to pay my return shipping since I ordered several pairs. Nice guy who seems to get it about customer service especially since he is starting a new company.

Andy, I think you will find these boots very comfortable for your feet. The Nevadas are very similar to the Hardscrabbles but more comfortable for me.

All the boots are on sale. Some like the Nevadas are already on sale on the website but they will give you 25% off any boot not already on sale. Hard to pass up.

Lee

IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Lee,

What size were you running in the Lowas? Just curious how they compare size wise to the Crispi?

Thanks,
Andy

Ebby Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I was wearing Eu 46 (12) in Lowas which fit well. In the Hanwags and meindls it was too big. I tried the 46 in Crispi and they fit pretty well but maybe a smidgen long. I've ordered the 45 and am waiting on them to arrive.
Lee

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Lee, will be interested to see what you end up with as your day to day boot!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well, I can certainly vouch for the Han-Wags. After my disastorous sheep hunt a year ago, I ended up getting a pair of them this last summer. Alaskan GTX too. Along with the optional footbed, these things worked right off the bat. Got 'em in the mail, put 'em on & took a 3 mile hike on a x-country ski trail with 40 lbs. in my packboard. We then went into the Brooks this summer after caribou. Had to hike past the 5 mile mark to get beyond the archery only boundary. Nary a problem doing that either either.
Someone on the board here (I forget who) made a comment to me about a year ago to the effect "Bear, we gotta get you a pair of Han-Wags". For some reason, that comment made made my mind up for me. A big "THANKS" to whomever. Just my experiences.
Bear in Fairbanks

Last edited by Bear_in_Fairbanks; 10/15/11.

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J

I bought a pair of Crispi Hunters last year on another forum for (cheap). Very comfortable boot. Great craftsmanship!

Bear, I had heard about that five mile thing but I wasn't sure I believed it. Wow!

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jester

I bought a pair of Crispi Hunters last year on another forum for (cheap). Very comfortable boot. Great craftsmanship!

Bear, I had heard about that five mile thing but I wasn't sure I believed it. Wow!

Jester:
Initially, we intended to hike in about 8 miles on the east side of the road for sheep. This was a new, to us, attempt. When we planned it, I hoped there would be some game trails to follow & walking wouldn't be too bad. No such luck. No game trails & nothing but the above mentioned [bleep]. We bagged that idea & then went into an area we knew about from experience for the caribou. As I wrote above, the walking in this area isn't bad at all. Temp was rather warm & we had the usual no-seeums. Ugghh!!!
B.I.F.

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J

I know I'm late in posting this but Camofire.com had Crispi boots on sale yesterday. They didn't sell out, so....

Ebby Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, I saw that. Good price too. They did sell out in my size rather quickly. I'm gonna update this ad in a week or so when I've made all my final choices.

Lee

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J

Crispi Hunters on sale NOW!

http://www.camofire.com/

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wish those things weren't 11" tall.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J

They've had two shorter models recently. Might want to save the site.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Jester

Crispi Hunters on sale NOW!

http://www.camofire.com/

Looks like they are back up tonight. I just bought a pair yesterday, but they are 11wide. Hope they work as the Zamberlan, Salewa, and Meindl that I just purchased just don't fit right.

B
BWT Offline
B
Originally Posted by dryflyelk
I wish those things weren't 11" tall.

They have the wilds that are 9.5" tall which are very similar to the hunters.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (ATC, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 11 invisible), 2,204 guests, and 730 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,670
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.