Campfire Ranger
D
Tikka.

GB1

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Right now, Dick's Sporting Goods has Rem 700 Stainless Synthetic ADL in .308 with a 24" barrel for $479 with a $30 rebate from Remington and a $20 Dicks Card. So that puts the rifle at $429 + tax as set of Talley UL Rings would set you back $30 and look for a used Leupold to put on top. If you can't swing the Leupold look through the Optics section to see what cameralandny has on sale.

"The mightiest oak was a small nut that held it's ground."
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Rem 700

I own one and it has "Fired" unloading it without touching the trigger...I will never own one again...

Jayco

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Add $200 for a Ti stock and you've got quite a rifle, if it'll shoot....

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Define quality..

Wood and blued, best that's possible?

Synthetic, best shooter possible?

I'd look at the Savage 11's in 308, they'll run you in the low $400's and are typically screaming accurate and with an easily adjustable trigger. Spend a bit more money on some Krylon paint and have some fun decorating it to your taste. Put the other $150 towards a good scope, I think a Leupold VX-II in 3-9x40 is running $240 at Cabela's now. Looking under $700 before rings/bases and tax for the package.

[Linked Image]

That's a great job on the camo painting. Any tips?

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
if it'll shoot

That's the problem but Weatherby sends you a target and a guarantee.Now all you have to do is try and match factory ammunition as a reloader...Sometimes,it isn't that easy!!!!

Three shots here.

[Linked Image]

Jayco

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by shawnmitchell
That's a great job on the camo painting. Any tips?

They talk about it in the Hunting Rifles forum quite often. I'd search there, there's some very impressive work done by others. I picked up 3 cans of Krylon consisting of 2 colors of camo and a clearcoat for the top. Remove action, tape where you don't want paint to go, then I put on a tan bottom coat. Using pine needles and leaves on top of the tan, I then sprayed on the darker brown. Let dry a day, then put on several clearcoats to protect it. If you screw up, just do it again.

It's great fun to turn a fugly black synthetic into something cool.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Being a semi old fart,I was hesitant about the funking coloring on my stock,but it grows on you and I like it....

This is by far my favorite rifle..The stock design makes a 165 grain Hornady at 3015 fps feel way less than 130's out of my Win Pre '64 270 Winchester with 140's at 3100 fps..Way less....

By far the least kicking shoulder fired firearm I own!!!!Minus a 22 rim. grin

[Linked Image]

Jayco

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
You can buy a Marlin XL or XS rifle in Stainless for under $400.00 and they shoot!!!!With the $200.00 left you could buy a new Nikon Buckmasters scope.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I wouldn't buy a Marlin anything right now until Remington gets it right after the buy out.They are having issues but the old ones are stellar minus the lack of calibers available.

Just a thought after The group bought Marlin out, quality is lacking...

Jayco

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
bought an ADL remington today for $399 with scope. yes the scope is cheapo but i can put it on my .22 and put a leupold on this one.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Baylian
I'm looking to get a new .308 Win and I did a search and nothing like this came up. Which rifle would give you the best quality for under $600? I'll be using this for deer and prehaps elk hunting.

Baylian

Pretty hard to beat this deal for price and quality. Just up your alley:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=261888034

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
i am doing the same but mine will be a .270. and it's pretty tough to find one in the price range.

i am trying to get the scope and rifle under $800 and it ain't easy if i am going to have a decent rifle and scope.

Pretty easy: desertmuledeer is selling the perfect 270 and at a great price (if it isn't gone yet), I'd snag that one in a heartbeat if I were a 270 guy:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._FS_Winchester_M70_Featherwe#Post5828767

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Vanguard from sportsmans warehouse in your choice of caliber for $395 and a burris FFII.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Ruger Hawkeye in S/S

Gunner

Trump Won!
B
Baylian Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thank you all for the suggestions. I went to SW and tried a Savage Model 11, a T/C Venture, and a Weatherby Vanguard. The Marlin X7-S was pulled off the market by Remington after the buy out to the best of my knowledge. I own an X7-L in .270. I really liked the Accutrigger and Accustock on the Savage. I've read a good and a bad review of the accustock. Has anyone had any experience with them? The bad review also said the hinged floor plate came open whilst shooting. Any confirmation on that? Can you shoot a detachable box mag rifle without the mag, if you went with the FC model insead of the FH model?

Thanks, Baylian

Last edited by Baylian; 11/22/11.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Marlin X7-S was pulled off the market by Remington after the buy out to the best of my knowledge.

Is this really true? I just bought a XS7 in 7-08 from Big R in CO and they had several in 243. Can't find anything wrong with it. Shoots well and the trigger was adjusted well from the factory.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Thank you all for the suggestions. I went to SW and tried a Savage Model 11, a T/C Venture, and a Weatherby Vanguard. The Marlin X7-S was pulled off the market by Remington after the buy out to the best of my knowledge. I own an X7-L in .270. I really liked the Accutrigger and Accustock on the Savage. I've read a good and a bad review of the accustock. Has anyone had any experience with them? The bad review also said the hinged floor plate came open whilst shooting. Any confirmation on that? Can you shoot a detachable box mag rifle without the mag, if you went with the FC model insead of the FH model?

Thanks, Baylian

The Marlin XS7 and XL7 are still being made and now they have Varmint rifles.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Go over to Marlinforums and you'll find a crapload of complaints from XS-XL-7 owners about broken extractors. No thanks, that right there squashes any interest for me. When they first came out, lots of guys crowed about how the Marlin X's were such a great bargain and were superior in design/function to a Savage. The first thing that went through my mind was that the Marlin's were as yet unproven by the test of time and I'd still take a Savage as it has a proven track record going back to 1958. I'm glad I listened to those little voices in my head and bought another Savage.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Go over to Marlinforums and you'll find a crapload of complaints from XS-XL-7 owners about broken extractors. No thanks, that right there squashes any interest for me. When they first came out, lots of guys crowed about how the Marlin X's were such a great bargain and were superior in design/function to a Savage. The first thing that went through my mind was that the Marlin's were as yet unproven by the test of time and I'd still take a Savage as it has a proven track record going back to 1958. I'm glad I listened to those little voices in my head and bought another Savage.

The only broken extractors from a Marlin "X" gun generally comes from steel cased ammo. I have many thousands of rounds thru my 30-06 and 308 "X" gun with no issues at all relating to the mfg of the gun.

Remington pulled the "X" guns out of big box retailers because it was killing the sales of the low end 700's and 770s. You can still get a "X" gun without any problems but you need to go to the local mom-n-pop shop. Personally, I'd rather support the little guy than Cabelas, Dicks, Walmart, Gander Mountain, etc.

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

395 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 32 invisible), 2,624 guests, and 995 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,283
Posts18,467,796
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.