Print Thread
Hop To
M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
FS: used books on shooting/guns, fishing, Civil War, and various DYI and "Other Hobby" topics. ALL PRICES INCLUDE SHIPPING TO CONUS; if you're in HI, AK, or Canada, I'll just charge you extra whatever the difference is between your ZIP or postal code and regular shipping to Omaha (middle of US). An "I'll take book #____" here reserves the book; then I'll PM you my address for payment.

I DON'T DO PAYPAL but do take cash, POs, and personal checks. If your have questions or comments, please PM me; don't ask them here. I will answer all questions as completely and promptly as I can. Please put your "handle" or the titles or numbers of the books you ordered someplace on the payment so I won't send somebody the wrong book!

TAKE $1 OFF THE PRICE OF EACH BOOK YOU ORDER AFTER THE FIRST ONE!

Shooting, guns, hunting, eating game

1). SPF "The Varmint and Crow Hunters Bible" by Bert Popowski. Classic varmint hunter's manual from "back in the day". All our varmints including magpies, starlings, and reptiles; some we can't hunt today! Calling, stalking, trapping, rifle and shotgun. 8 1/2"x11" softbound 185 pp. illus. w/b/w photos, diagrams, and tables in exc. cond.

2) SPF "Gourmet Game" by Phillipa Scott. Game recipes and cook's anecdotes from around the world (including US). Covers all game animals, birds, and fish, sauces, stuffings, etc. A beautiful little book illustrated by primitive style game painting by Francesca Pelizzoli. HB 7x8 1/2" 168 pp. in exc. cond but has library discard stamp, spine number.

3) "American Bird Decoys" by William J. Mackey, Jr. An illustrated history of American decoys by a prominent collector. Arranged by period and region; includes waterfowl, pigeons/doves, and shorebirds from periods when they were legal to shoot. 8 1/2x11HB in exc cond. w/worn/torn dust jacket, over 200 decoy illustrations 8 in full color. $7

4) "1991 Shooter's Bible #82" by Stoeger Publishing. Catalog that contains 8 articles plus guns, ammo and access. descriptions for that year. I liked the "Mannlicher Schoenauer: Rifles for Adventurers" article and "Classic Handguns That Have Stood the Test of Time." Exc. cond. 576 pp. illus. w/b/w photos. $5

5) "Montgomery Ward & Co. 1895 Catalog #57" repro ed. by Dover Books. A faithful repro of an original "Wish Book". I put it here because of the guns, accessories, ammo and loading tools shown, but it really has something for the whole family. 8 1/2x11" softbound w/worn cover bu exc. text and pics. $5

6) "Gun Buyers Guide 2008" Guns Magazine's annual that includes 14 articles on new and traditional guns, tests of new models, plus a buyer's guide of all guns available. Softbound 8 1/2x11" in very good reading cond illus. w/b/w photos. $3

7) "Handguns '94" ed. by Jack Lewis. Annual publication of "Handguns" Magazine which includes tests of 13 handguns new that year plus articles on historic handguns and reloading. PB 8 1/2x11" 336 pp. illus w/b/w photos and tables $4

8) "The Gun Digest Book of Knives 5th ed." by Jack Lewis and Roger Combs. Articles cover all knife topics: new custom makers, new factory models, new materials, multi-tools, and traditional and historic knives. 8 1/2x11" 256 pp. PB in exc. cond w/a few pen marks in the table of contents. $5

Fishing and Fly Fishing("Get Tyin'--Trout Season WILL Come!")

9) "The Fly Tier's Companion" by Mike Dawes. Step-by step illustrations and color plates on how to tie almost 200 British trout, salmon, and grayling patterns. A Stoeger publication. 8 1/2x11" softbound 160 pp. in exc. cond. w/worn cover (ex-library book with some stamps). $4

10) "The Art of Fly Tying" by John van Vliet. Beautiful how-to book from the Hunting and Fishing Library collection. Covers tying tools, hooks and other materials, insect identification and matching, how to tie each of the six basic fly types. Full of full-color illustrations of flies, materials and fish. 8 1/2x11" HB in exc. cond 128 pp. $7

11)" The American Nymph Fly Tying Manual" by Randall Kaufmann. Complete how-to manual for nymph fishermen: many step-by-step diagrams, nymph biology, full color plates of tied nymph patterns, hook guide, how to fish nymphs. 8 1/2x11" 93 pp. softbound in exc. cond w.minor cover wear $5

12) "The Bonefish, Tarpon, and Permit Fly Fishing Guide" by Al Raychard. Gear, techniques, and locations to fish for the "Big Three" of saltwater fly fishing game fish. 8 1/2x11" softbound 78 pp. heavily illus. w/color photos of gear, fish and flies. $4

13) "Fly Fishing Through the Mid-Life Crisis" by Howell Raines. Pulitzer winning Alabama journalist and novelist fishes thru life's crises "The Redneck Way". Essays and stories about fishing. HB 352 pp. illus. w/line drawings. $5

14) "Crazy for Rivers" by Bill Barick. Eight true fishing stories from one autumn on Western trout streams. New cond quality PB 85 pp. $4

15) "The Way of a Trout" by R.P. van Gytenbeck. Classic "Trout Unlimited" publication on trout and the restoration of trout stream habitat. Taken from the Trout Unlimited film; many color photos and b/w photos of trout habitat. 8 1/2x11" HB new cond. 150 pp. $5

16) "The Trout and Salmon Fisherman's Bible" by Jim Bashline. Intro to the salmonids, the tackle to catch them, cook them, and where and how. 8 1/2x11" Softbound 176 pp. in exc. cond. illus w/b/w photos, diagrams. $4

17) Bass Fishing Fundamentals" by Ken Schultz. "Field and Stream" staff writer's thorough guide to catching bass: lures, tackle, behavior, biology, boats, and accessories. Hb 284 pp. in exc. cond. illus w/b/w photos and diagrams $6

18) "Why Fish Bite and Why They Don't" by James Westman. Classic old book by a wildlife biologist on fish behavior done in a humorous way with fun cartoons and drawings. HB 210 pp. in exc cond. w/worn dust jacket, illus. w/drawings, diagrams. $5

Civil War books

19) "The Battle of Pea Ridge" by Pea Ridge National Military Park. Park's brochure history of the battle sometimes called "The Battle of Elkhorn Tavern." Articles by park historians on the battle. PB pamphlet exc. cond. 44 pp. w/maps, B/w photos. Includes an article on the Indian regiments at Pea Ridge. $3

20) "Decisive Battles of the Civil War" by William Swinton. reprint of a 19th Century classic. Describes 12 decisive battles of the war, breaking down each into "prelude," "battle,' and "results." Exc. cond HB 520 pp. illus w/portraits and maps. $5

21) "Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln" by Doris Kearns Goodwin. Pulitzer-Prize winning historian's account of Lincoln's management of difficult but effective rival subordinates to make the Federal war machine win. A LONG good read! PB 935 pp. in exc. reading cond. w/cover wear. Illus w/maps and historic b/w photos. $7

22) "They Followed the Plume: J.E.B Stuart and His Staff" by Robert J. Trout. Expert on Southern cavalry's history of the famous cavalry leader and the incredible men he led. Contains CW service records of Stuart's staff officers and EMs. HB 397 pp. illus w/b/w photos new cond. except for library discard stamps. $5

23) "A Stillness at Appomattox" by Bruce Catton. Prize winning history of the last cruel year of the CW. The Wilderness, Cold Harbor, the Crater at Petersburg, Appomattox and the rest. HB 438 pp. in exc. cond w/worn dust jacket. $5

24) "The American Heritage Picture History of the Civil War" narrative by Bruce Catton. BIG illustrated history which covers the causes of the war, the war itself, and the aftermath. Extensively illustrated with historic b/w CW photos, color repros of contemporary publications and paintings, and color photos of present CW battlefields. 8 1/2x11" HB 630 pp. in exc. cond. w/worn/torn DJ $7 (heavy).

DIY books and all kindsa "hobby" books

25) SPF The Working Cowboy's Manual: A Complete Handbook for Today's Cattlemen" by Fay E. Ward. Just what it says: a champion cowboy/artist's book about the work of cowboys--mostly how you get cows where you need them to be, which involves a LOT of horsemanship!). Covers all the tack, breeds, food for 'em, chuck for the hands, fences, and even guns and holsters. HB 301 pp. w/over 500 hand drawn illustrations. (Has gift inscription on flyleaf). Exc. cond w/exc dust jacket.

26) "The Illustrated History of the American Farm Tractor' by Randy Leffingwell. Big picture book that charts the development of the farm tractor from steam thru diesel to modern types. HB 9x12" 432 pp. in exc./new cond. w/exc. dust jacket, full of color photos of original and restored tractors inc. detailed engine photos $10

27) "Bob Vila's Toolbox: the Ultimate Illustrated Guide to Portable Hand and Power Tools" by Bob Vila. Author of This Old House" series guide to buying and using tools. Covers all trades: carpentry, plumbing, electrical, tiling , plastering and wallboard tools. Include appendixes for measurements and terminology of lumber and fasteners. Meant for serious DIY and building trades. HB 8 1/2x11" 245 pp. extensively illus. w/color photos, halftone how-to diagrams, table and charts in new cond. w/new dust jacket. $7

28) SPF "Gold, Gold: A Beginner's Handbook and Recreational Guide on Where and How to Prospect for Gold" by Joseph Petralia. great intro to the topic: terms, where gold occurs and how to find it, basic equipt, and DIY instructions. New PB 143 pp. illus. w/maps, b/w photos and drawings.

29) "Hopi Kachinas: a Complete Guide to Collecting Kachina Dolls" by Barton Wright. Brief explanation of the Kachina religion and the place of the "dolls" in it. Illustrates all known variations in color and gives guidelines on how to recognize authentic and valuable examples. Quality PB 7x9" 140 pp. in new cond. $4

30) "Secrets of the Samurai: the Martial Arts of Feudal Japan" by Oscar Rattl and Adele Westbrook. Beautiful manual on the arts of war in medieval Japan. Extensively illustrated with fine line drawings of all he weapons, costumes and "moves" of each martial art, from fencing to sumo. Exc/new cond. (w/one pen mark on top of leaves) HB 488 pp. $8

31) "The Treasure Hunter" by Robin Moore and Howard Jennings. Moore usually writes fiction but this is his biography of his friend the famous treasure hunter. Caribbean and South American pirate gold and Inca treasures! HB exc. cond. w/no DJ 269 pp. illus.w/b/w photos, maps. $6

32) "Diamonds" by Eric Bruton. 2nd ed. of a professional manual on diamonds: all you ever wanted to know about them from geology, mining, grading, cutting and setting in jewelry, industrial uses, colors, and how synthetics are made. Very complete, and very technical in spots. HB exc. cond. w/exc. DJ 565 pp. illus w/charts, maps, diagrams, and b/w and color photos. $7

33) SPF "Single Malt and Scotch Whiskey" by Daniel Lerner. A guide to 200 brands and varieties: aging, comparative strengths, colors, aromas, flavors, and distilleries. Beautiful full-color book with illus. of bottles, labels, and distillery sites in Scotland. Hb 193 pp. new cond. except for few discrete notes by a previous owner on brands he tried (see if you agree!)

34) SPF "Nat Sherman's Passion for Cigars" by Joel Sherman. A whole course on cigars by one of the premier cigar importers. History, growing of tobaccos, how to choose cigar styles, cigar care, planning cigar enjoyment social events, and a guide to retailers. Another beautiful little book. HB 160 pp. illus w/b/w photos and maps in new cond w/new DJ.

Thanks for reading so far! Don't forget to take off $1 for each book after the first one.

Mike Armstrong

Last edited by Mesa; 11/10/11.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I will take 33,34

M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Books 33 and 34 SPF to shouldershot. Thanks! PM on the way.

Mike Armstrong

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
#1 and #25 ill take them also #28

Last edited by gotbull; 11/10/11.
M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Books #1, 25, and 28 SPF to gotbull. Thanks!

PM on the way.

Mike Armstrong

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'd like #2 if available

M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Book #2 SPF to davidsapp. Thanks, PM on the way.

Mike Armstrong

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
BTT once

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
BTT twice

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I'll take #21 and 22 . please pm me your addy and total.
dave

Last edited by ilikemilitaria; 11/12/11.
IC B3

M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Books #21 and 22 SPF to ilikemilitaria. Thanks, Dave!

PM on the way.

Mike Armstrong

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
BTT thrice (One Last Bump)

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I will take # 17, #18, #26, #30, #32. Please forward your address for submission of funds, will pay with USPMO.
Thank You
Glen

Last edited by Pinduck; 11/13/11.

NRA Life Member 1969
OGCA
US Army 1954-1956
M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Books #10 and 11 SPF to coldbore

Books 17, 18, 26, 30, and 32 SPF to pinduck

Thanks for buying! PMs on the way to both of you!

Mike Armstrong

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Mike
Sent you a PM.
Glen

NRA Life Member 1969
OGCA
US Army 1954-1956

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

629 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 160user, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 64 invisible), 2,743 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,052
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.