Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I have always wanted a rifle built using this stock. Im sure there is some nostalgia at play what with this being the classic viet nam era sniper stock. The #1 complaint I hear about this stock is that the comb is too low.

Im planning to re-barrel and re-stock an old Rem 722. I have always found the factory 722 stock to be very comfortable for me. My question is:

Will the comb on the McMillan HTG be higher, lower, or about the same as a factory Rem 722? thanks in advance

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I always thought the comb was fine on the HTG, however I didn't like shooting the stock off the bench and it has alot more felt recoil. a 270 win, feels like a 300 win mag. that may not be issues

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Well, now that you mentioned it, others have comented on felt recoil. What is it about the stock design that would cause this?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
the recoil isn't as straight back as some stock designs. keep in mind the stock was designed around a 308 win with a #7 barrel. the weight was enough to make recoil no big deal.

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Does the overall shape or design of the HGT lend itself to being better for shooting prone than other stock designs? I'm curious if its just an "old" stock design on which many improvements have been made in the past 40 years, or if the design had prone shooting as a driving force?

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
the recoil isn't as straight back as some stock designs. keep in mind the stock was designed around a 308 win with a #7 barrel. the weight was enough to make recoil no big deal.

That rifle/stock is what I used in SOTIC in 87. 50-80 rds/day from prone pounded the hell out of me. My shoulder was so sore some days it affected my shooting I'm sure. McMillan put a little thin recoil pad on it IIRC. I found the comb WAY too low for me. I have high cheekbones though, a Kimber MT with extra low Talleys is just right for me. Most guys couldn't even see through that setup.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The GP/HTG has the same drop as a M700 BDL.Just without the cheek piece.Its not the best for hiding recoil.It never was.
How well it works out for you, kinda depends on how your built.
For me a straight stock like something from NULA does a great job of hiding recoil.But no matter what I try it just doesnt fit me.
I can run a decent sized objective on an GP/HTG and it fits ever so well.
[Linked Image]
The bottom rifle in the pic has a 3-12x50 S&B Classic.The top rifle has a 1.5-6x42 S&B Flashdot.
The 50 mm objective "fits" me much better than the 42.
Close my eyes and yank up the 50mm and its right there every time.More often than not im looking over the 42mm.
But then Im 6'6" and have a "Jimmy Stewart" head.I heard other people say a "John Kerry" head. But I cant abide that human piece of chit so ill stick with "Jimmy Stewart". smile
[Linked Image]
Im a GP/HTG fan.
Have been for a very long time.
All the rifles pictured have there actions skidded forward .5 of an inch.
It mouses up the way the tang looks alittle on top.But it makes a big difference on the way the rifle "feels" on the pistol grip.It gives you alot more room for your hand....Got big hands to.
Just a few GP/HTG tricks i've picked up over the decades....

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
The rifle I'm planning to have built will be a .222Rem so recoil wont be an issue. I suppose if I just "have" to use an HTG this would be the rifle to use on on. The low comb still concerns me a bit. Is there a particular McMillan stock that you guys feel would better suite a 722 action with factory contour barrel in .222Rem?

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hubba, hubba. Nice looking rig Dave! grin. I've always wanted to try an HTG and that one would fit the bill. I personally like a little more drop in my stocks than most.

[Linked Image]

pharmvet, have you thought about ordering an adjustable cheek piece with it or adding one later if the stock doesn't fit you well? Just a thought.

Terry

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
What are some good materials for building the stock up some? I have noticed some nice neoprene type of adhesive pads used on some trap/skeet guns.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's what I would do. Order it, shoot it and if you don't like it, install a nice adjustable rest on it.

Here is a nice example: Karsten cheek piece

The other option would be to order it already in the stock but, it's about double the cost of the Karsten.
[Linked Image]

Terry

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am pretty happy with my mcmillan remington classic stocks. one note on the HTG. I thought it was a very good stock for off hand standing shooting. it seemed to come up faster on my shoulder and be where it needed to be. it was bench shooting I really disliked. the back of the stock sticks down further at the bottom, for me it was harder to situate the rear bag without the stock touching the concrete. and of course recoil.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The Karsten cheek piece is the way to go. Just make sure you don't order a stock that is too long in the first place, most do. Non-NBA types are well served by a 13in LOP, most more like 12.5/12.75.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
The Karsten cheek piece is the way to go. Just make sure you don't order a stock that is too long in the first place, most do. Non-NBA types are well served by a 13in LOP, most more like 12.5/12.75.

I disagree, I am 6-1 and 13.5 is short for me. 14" is a better fit and even that my scopes are pretty far forward when mounted.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

I disagree, I am 6-1 and 13.5 is short for me. 14" is a better fit and even that my scopes are pretty far forward when mounted.

Also, more drop = more LOP.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I had a factory 722 in .308 not long ago. I've handled a couple of rifles with HTG stocks. The comb on the old 722's is lower. The drop at the heel is pretty close. E

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

The A1 is a great handling stock. It's easy to shoulder and I like the grip angle. I also think the comb is perfect for low mounted 40mm objective scopes. If the OP is just shooting from a bench or does alot of prone than an A3 is the better choice. But For hunting I'll be much more happy with the A1 pattern. Other A series stocks have way too much bulk.

I liked the A1 enough to order another. My new one should be delivered anytime now.

Here's a pic of my first one. 7RM in a A1

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

"Then join in hand, brave Americans all!.....By uniting we stand, by dividing we fall"
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Very nice looking rifle !!!!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (222Sako, 163bc, 10Glocks, 16Racing, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 56 invisible), 2,497 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,072
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.