Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
I found a marlin 336A with the long barrel and half magazine and it shoots well. Its an older one with wavy pattern on top and members here told me its better to keep it stock.
My dilema is I would prefer to have a scoped 3030 and I rarely see this configuration on used racks. I'm working on a peep sight (need a rear sight blank and taller front sight) and ultimatley I like a scope for low light shooting.
I could:
1. Trade for a walnut stocked carbine. Actually I would prefer the cross bolt safety...
2. Drill and tap this guy. How much does that cost? would I burn in hades if I do that?
3. Ideally find another long barrel rifle like it that is tapped already. My sister has one she won't sell me so I know they exist...

Any ideas or suggestions on what you would do?

Indecisive me.
H

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Keep the 336A as is, and keep it. You will be able to find scoped cross bolt rifles resonably priced for a long time. Pick one up when you can. When you want that 336A later like it is now it will be hard to find.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
+1.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
So... no drilling and tapping.
Is there collector value to these or desire to leave the rifle stock?
I ask because I am thinking of adding sling studs if I fall in love with the rifle after testing with my peep sight.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
A stock rifle is always preferable to a modified rifle. You'll immediately lose 40% or so by drilling and tapping.

With a 1911 and a 30-06

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
40% less!!!
my rifle is in good shape, but not pristine. How much is a 90%+ rifle like this worth?

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Chek on Gunbroker. Impossible to say what it's worth without a comparison.

With a 1911 and a 30-06

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I had a .35 336SC waffle top that was in pristine condition and of course un-tapped. After having the rifle for a year I sold it to a Marlin Collector...I could bring myself to tapping the waffle top for a scope.

Doc

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My 336 came w/ iron sights and factory-installed "Marlin"-branded scope in tip-off mounts. On yours, I'd (professionally) D&T for the q/d scope mounts. Also I'd like to add a ghost-ring sight to the ring-base.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Marlin started factory drilling and tapping the 336 receivers around 1954 from what research I've done. Please don't drill and tap it. It's survived at least 56 years unaltered so someone might love it just the way it is.

That is a great configuration with that 2/3 magazine. The way the mag is attached lends itself to great accuracy and/or they can be made accurate very easily. Marlin made that configuration - walnut stock, blued 24" barrel and 2/3 magazine - in the late 70's and that was obviously factory D&T'ed. Here is one from 1975 that looks to be in good shape. It's pretty spendy IMHO but this is a fairly rare configuration. You could always email the dealer and see if he is interested in a trade.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=261454827

[Linked Image]

(Heck, I might be interested in that one myself! wink )

You could look for a Marlin XLR .30-30, that would be the exact configuration you're looking for. 24" barrel, 2/3 magazine, cross bolt safety, but it is stainless with a black laminate stock. Plus they (or rather Remington) have stopped making them for now so a lot of dealers are wanting top dollar. But you might find one still sitting on a gunshop shelf for a sane price.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
hmmm... I may have to sell this thing if they are that valuable. My end goal is to play with it a couple years and gve it to my nephew when he starts to hunt deer.

I bought a 1895 4570 partially because I love the look of a long barrel 2/3rd magazine!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
No I don't think you would burn in hades for D&T your rifle.After all it is yours to do with what you want.
Now for my opinion.
Marlin or rather Remington does not make a waffle top any more and I doubt they ever will again.Marlin does not make guns any more and I doubt they ever will again.This should make your rifle more valuable to some but not so much to others.
If it was mine I would leave it as is and enjoy it for the time being and then either try to buy or trade it for the gun I want.You never can tell,it might just grow on you and you might decide to keep her.
Good luck either way.Please let us know what you decide to do.

Like oats through a horses ass, so are the days of my life
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by buzardbait
No I don't think you would burn in hades for D&T your rifle.After all it is yours to do with what you want.
Now for my opinion.
Marlin or rather Remington does not make a waffle top any more and I doubt they ever will again.Marlin does not make guns any more and I doubt they ever will again.This should make your rifle more valuable to some but not so much to others.
If it was mine I would leave it as is and enjoy it for the time being and then either try to buy or trade it for the gun I want.You never can tell,it might just grow on you and you might decide to keep her.
Good luck either way.Please let us know what you decide to do.

I'm going to put a tall front bead on it (shoots way high) and put my williams peep sight on it and then decide. I'll just watch for a clean carbine and not mess with the 336A. I saw some SS xlr's at a shop.... $700 range. Ouch.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 53 invisible), 2,695 guests, and 1,088 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,312
Posts18,468,262
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.