24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 20 21
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Thanks for the information BSA. I may be on my way to RE 15 covering all my bases.

GFY,
Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
BP-B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Travis;

I've used lots of RL-15 in mine and it is perhaps at it's best with bullets lighter than 286s. I initially chose it because it had worked very well for me in .35 Whelen. .350 Rem Mag and .375 H&H.

However, while I recognize that each rifle has its own preferences, I found RL-15 has it's limit at about 60grs in my rifle at 0* C (+32*F)with 286s for accuracy and consistency. That gives between 2450 and 2460 with .80" MOA from Hornadys, but during June through September, with temps at a high 28*C to a low 18*C (82* to 64*F), best accuracy was with 58.5 as also suggested in Nosler's manual, with about 30 fps less. Mine has a 22.4" tube.

Just a year ago, almost to the day, I tried RL-17 for the first time. 67grs gave identical results in MV and accuracy on the same day as 60grs of RL-15... BUT, with less pressure.

This year (2012), my go-to load is 68grs RL-17 (a tad slower than Big Game), WLRM primers, Hornady brass and Nosler's 286 at about 2550 fps during the hot/warm months and now, in December, 2500 fps+. Accuracy is the same. In the cooler temps I've used 69grs at 2560 fps but accuracy doesn't appear to be quite as good, though certainly good enough. Pressure still appears to be less that using RL-15.

COL is at 3.36" and it's a compressed load. If I can get 70grs in and seat the bullet to 3.36", I'll give it a try one of these days... just because! grin

My rifle (Tikka 3 Lite) weighs 7.2 lbs with scope, sling and 1 cartridge. With 3 it goes 7.4 lbs. Recoil with my go-to load is 45 ft-lbs.

The above is intended for information ONLY!!! NOT TO BE COPIED without working up in the usual manner.

NOTE: Gunner500 gets 2400 fps from the 320 Woodley using RL-17.
In momentum that equals a 300gr from a .375 H&H (or any other 375 or anything shooting a 300gr)at 2560 fps and has an SD of .341 (the same as the SD of a 500gr from a .458-cal.).

Kinda puts things in perspective! cool

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I think RL-17 and Big Game is more ideal. But if I can get by with RL-15, I may have found reloading nirvana.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I keep a good supply of RL-15 on hand, but I tend to work up my loads during the warmest times of the year I'd be using the load. Otherwise, my best loads worked up during the colder times of the year tend to prove too hot during the warmer times of the year. I still lean heavily on RL-15 on my 416 Rem loads, but it is no longer my go to for the 9.3x62 for that reason.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
You had pressure problems with 15 in the summer? That sorta surprises me.

Travis

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Worked up a great load with a Nosler Partition during the fall/winter months. Worked well, but same load ended up too hot the following summer. No visible signs of excessive pressure and was dependable during that winter. Had issues with the same load the next summer. After that experience, I started using powders that were less temp sensitive. I'll use my 9.3x62 during the winter in temps down to zero and during the summer in temps as hot as I can stand to hunt. My supply of RL-15 during that time used in my loads has proved sensitive when shot from my personal Sako 9.3x62 and from a friends CZ 9.3x62.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Very strange and I don't doubt it but my rifle doesn't seem to notice the 60 degree temp drop. I just checked and it was in the dead of summer when I worked on load development, reconfirmed my zero a week before my cow hunt and it was still dead nuts for POI but I did notice my group size was bigger (1 1/2" for 5 shots!!!!). I was pissed so I took it out on that cow laying next to my rifle in the previous pic. It was 35 degrees that morning when I dumped her but I only needed one shot, thank god grin By the way, the 286 gr. partition worked great even though it was of the blemished type whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by GaryVA
Worked up a great load with a Nosler Partition during the fall/winter months. Worked well, but same load ended up too hot the following summer. No visible signs of excessive pressure and was dependable during that winter. Had issues with the same load the next summer. After that experience, I started using powders that were less temp sensitive. I'll use my 9.3x62 during the winter in temps down to zero and during the summer in temps as hot as I can stand to hunt. My supply of RL-15 during that time used in my loads has proved sensitive when shot from my personal Sako 9.3x62 and from a friends CZ 9.3x62.

Not calling bullschit, I believe your results, I'm just very surprised by them.

Travis

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Travis,

In my experience RL-15 is the most temperature-resistant of the Reloder powders, and it was improved considerably in the late 1990's. But it still isn't as temp-resistant as the Hodgdon Extremes.

It is, however, one of the very best all-around powders for the 9.3x62. I've gotten excellent results with it with bullets from 232 to 300 grains.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Good to know. It has proven very reliable for me in the temp departments. I'd say I have the most faith in TAC and RL -15 right now.

Whatever the [bleep] that is worth. grin

Travis

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm not an expert on this matter, but the friend with the CZ is an expert in the field. He spoke in Greek to me about the base and coatings, etc. But the jist I got out of it was that all of the powders are sensitive to some degree to temp. IIRC, they are pressure tested at a certain temp, going above or below that temp will increase or reduce the pressure. Varget, as an example of something I use alot, has a different coating than Reloader 15 which makes it much more temp insensitive over a broader range than the Reloader. He also said something about Reloader being tweaked to reduce this temp sensitivity somewhat because of this issue. Don't quite know all the science behind the matter, but yes, I see this swing with the RL-15 but not with other powders that are made to be less temp sensitive. I see this swing moreso with my 9.3x62 because I've used it now over a wide temp swing. I don't see it in my 416 because that rifle is used in a narrow temp swing.

Best smile

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Very strange and I don't doubt it but my rifle doesn't seem to notice the 60 degree temp drop. I just checked and it was in the dead of summer when I worked on load development, reconfirmed my zero a week before my cow hunt and it was still dead nuts for POI but I did notice my group size was bigger (1 1/2" for 5 shots!!!!). I was pissed so I took it out on that cow laying next to my rifle in the previous pic. It was 35 degrees that morning when I dumped her but I only needed one shot, thank god grin By the way, the 286 gr. partition worked great even though it was of the blemished type whistle

I was in reverse. Worked up a load when cold and it didn't group well until the load was on the warm side. Grouped very well, easiy extraction and no visible signs of pressure problems. Then came hot summer temps and the same load was too hot, sticky extraction and signs of excessive pressure.

- Clint Eastwood
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GaryVA

I was in reverse. Worked up a load when cold and it didn't group well until the load was on the warm side. Grouped very well, easiy extraction and no visible signs of pressure problems. Then came hot summer temps and the same load was too hot, sticky extraction and signs of excessive pressure.

I hear that....I think that's a common problem but something that will probably get better in the future as soon as more companies get on the band wagon with the "extreme" type powders....Hodgdon is one of them and I've almost all but switched to their extreme powders. However, I don't know if I'll ever give up Imr 4350 or RE15 though, regardless of their sensitivity to varying temperatures...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
GaryVA,

Good post. All of which is why I prefer to use the term "temperature resistant" rather than "temperature insensitive."

There isn't a powder made that will produce exactly the same pressures and velocities from below zero to above 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Plus, the same powder can react differently according to the application.

The most temperature-resistant powders will show the least amount of variation in different temperatures and applications.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
John,

I recall reading that certain primers can increase or decrease that effect. IIRC, W/W and Fed were among the best in creating the least fluctuations.

DF

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My concern is more about velocity spread than velocity loss. If I lose 50-60 fps from a good summer load at 80 - 90*F to winter temps of -20* to + 15*F, that's no big deal, at least to me, if it's still accurate with an ES of not more than 20 fps.

I find that WLRM primers help provide that consistency for me in addition to the powder used. RL-15 is a good powder for that as is RL-17. RL-22 and 19, in my experience, are awful in that regard.

But, as I mentioned above, if I add an extra grain or two for winter hunting in the same rifle, I'll go back to the summer load when spring arrives.

In .45-70 and .458 WM, I changed to Hodgdon powders a few years ago using H4198 in place of RL-7 in each for bullets to 350grs, and even 400s, and H335 for any thing heavier. Both H4198 and H335 are very stable and consistent using hot weather loads in winter. Also, H4895 does an excellent job as well. I don't use IMR powders any more even though they are a Canadian product grin

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
I know you are better with pictures so GFY right back:

[Linked Image]

and this:
[Linked Image]

My rifle is just not picky....Drops cow elk pretty good too. First year out with the ol 9.3x62 and it worked as expected....:
[Linked Image]

Oh, I also used RE15 with the el-cheapo 270gr. speers too:
[Linked Image]

BSA,

did you tried CCI 200 aswell?

all the best.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
We haven't talked about this stuff in awhile so let's renew this thread: All this talk about WLR primers has me befuddled since they're not available to me. Has anyone noticed a benefit to using CCI magnums over regular LR primers with Varget/250s or Big Game/286s?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by yukonphil
I know you are better with pictures so GFY right back:

[Linked Image]

and this:
[Linked Image]

My rifle is just not picky....Drops cow elk pretty good too. First year out with the ol 9.3x62 and it worked as expected....:
[Linked Image]

Oh, I also used RE15 with the el-cheapo 270gr. speers too:
[Linked Image]

BSA,

did you tried CCI 200 aswell?

all the best.

Yes, but only a few. The CCI 250's seemed to be more accurate...

BSA MAGA
Page 5 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
92 members (10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 99Ozarks, 16penny, 15 invisible), 1,666 guests, and 732 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,756
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.