Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
2011 Elk hunt colorado area 43 third and 4th Season

Started out great, watched the weather report in making the decision to camp on high ground or low ground, forcast was for 4-6 inches of fresh snow opening weekend then sun for the rest of the week, sounded great so we set camp on high ground 10,200Ft.

Drying out the Cook tent

[Linked Image]

getting firewood for the week+

[Linked Image]

Cook tent and Sleep tent
[Linked Image]
Then It started snowing... and blowing... and snowing

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We started hunting, elk tracks were still coming and going through the area, at times within 200 yards from the tents. Opening morning I located a group of 4 two cows and two calves in an area I had patterned them, I could have gotten above and shot one but since we were the only one on the hill I thought I would take more guys the next morning. To my dismay an energetic hunter hunting below found the track and followed them up and ended up shooting the lead cow that evening. He didn't get out of the woods till midnight, with one rear quarter. the next two days he hiked up my hill (I was thinking he was packing out the reset of the animal) come to find out when he got back to it the coyotes had chewed it up so he left all the rest. This caused all the birds and dogs to be there all day and night screwing up my hill. Never did figure out what he was doing while hiking with a pack if he never got any more meat???

[Linked Image]

After things settled down a little we found two calves, feeding on the hill looking at the carnage of there mother, with three feet of snow and no herd of elk for them to join with we thought we would do the humane thing and save them from the coyotes and weather and filled my cow third season cow tag and the sons third season cow tag.

"Dragging/Riding" down the hill.
[img:center]http://broncolope.com/2011_ELK_hunt/calf1.jpg[/img]
[img:center]http://broncolope.com/2011_ELK_hunt/calf2.jpg[/img]

We saw three bulls but were not ambitious enough to climb and pack them out so we just watched hoping they would come closer.
With weather and snow and work and to much alchohol some couldn't get there and some had to leave early so that was all that was tagged for third.

4th season... continued next post

Where is that wascally Wapiti?
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great tale and pics!

Where's Part 2?! smile

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
4th Season we wanted to move lower because of the snow but would be to much work. So we stuck it out. After getting news that two would not show we took down the cook tent and moved into the one tent My brother, My neighbor and I. We set up a little campfire where the cook tent was and put William's Venison on the grill

[Linked Image]
Venison (it was supposed to be frozen and you peal off the cooked as it cooks, I screwed up and thawed it out) but still was great.

[Linked Image]

Digging in.... Yum

[Linked Image]

Fighting for the last bite.....

[Linked Image]

Hunted up by camp followed some monster bull tracks (biggest I have ever seen) never got a look at them. Very few new tracks up by camp, so we decided the second day to look at a spot lower that I had been succesful at. on the way down we glassed from miles and saw a few elk. Hopes were up. Every day the winds would blow snow over our trail to camp and this was our ride from the road to the tent.

[Linked Image]

First afternoon in the low country we see a cow but she is out of range. We come back the next morning and 5 cows come down but don't go were I expect them to and run into a small stand of timber. We try to push them out but never see them. On the way back up the the top for the evening there they are walking right beside us. Two shots 7mm Mag behind the head of a big cow, and William tags a small one. Yeeee Haaaaw both my elk tags filled this year.
My Cow
[Linked Image]

Williams Decent Calf

[img:center]http://broncolope.com/2011_ELK_hunt/ELKdown1.jpg[/img]

Hanging to skin the elk
[img:center]http://broncolope.com/2011_ELK_hunt/Hanging_elk.jpg[/img]

With another storm coming in.. and my brother having to get back we left his tag unfilled and started packing up saturday morning, after holding the tent down all night with crazy winds. Good thing it was frozen in two feet of snow around the edges or it would have blown away. The dodge would not blast through the driveway this time had to shovel out.

[img:center]http://broncolope.com/2011_ELK_hunt/shoveling_out.jpg[/img]

Then we get down the road and the night winds had blown a tree in the road, had to unpack the chain saw (experience had it within easy reach)

[img:center]http://broncolope.com/2011_ELK_hunt/cutting_out.jpg[/img]

Both my tags filled, and memories till next year.
I am planning a trip to montana to hunt with my Dad and may be hitting ya'll up for some info for next year.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good story! Congrats on the elk.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Thanks for the story and pictures.

Yeah, I got snowed in one time in Colorado, hunting Elk. Lots of fun and good times had by all. Need to do that again.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good job toughing it out. Nice looking country in those pics when it was sunny!!

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Looks like a fun hunt. Congrats on the elk and the adventure!

"Kids don't remember their best day of television."
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Looks like great memories! Thanks for sharing.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Congratulations.

Looks like the snow is getting to be a little much, but I suppose that is what is moving the elk down to you.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
very nice

Salmonhead
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Wow, heck of a storm! Congratulations on your success, and thanks for sharing it with us.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Downloaded the Stepsons pics

Cooling off after climbing twin peaks 11,200ft 20 minutes before shooting two elk

[Linked Image]

Of course snow... snow

[Linked Image]

Hiking in snow.. snow... snow

[Linked Image]

after getting all that snow we decided to go home and get the snowmobile to help drag out any more animals, already had drug the two out.

[Linked Image]

Of course we shot the next two behind a locked gate and had to drag them too. Figures.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
wow tough hunt good job !

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Great to have taken the photos. What tires on the Dodge? Did you ever need chains?

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The Loggers and Gas well guys plowed the main forest road when it snowed more than 6 inches or so but the road to camp we needed chains on most of the time(the wind would blow snow over our tracks almost everyday). I never go hunting without chains for all 4 tires, BF goodrich TA's worthless in 6 inches of snow without chains

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
WOW!!! Great story and pics - looks like a *great* hunt.

One word - SNOWSHOES !!!

They make life busting trail soooo much easier - post-holing sucks.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

356 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 41 invisible), 2,573 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,714
Posts18,457,028
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.