-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
OP Offline
J
I inherited a post war custom 30.06 govt rifle from my uncle. He had it made after WWII and based it on his army sniper rifle he used in Patton's army in the battle of the bulge. The bolt was removed by my aunt and lost. The gun is a Bishop Stock, semi bull barrel with a custom trigger set up chambered in 30.06 govt.
Any idea how to find a bolt extractor to fit it or does anyone know if I can have it re calibered with a new action to .338 with a new action? He really valued the gun and said it was a high dollar build up to his death and I wanted to find out if it could be restored or if it could be converted into a working rifle again.
Please let me know if anyone has ideas. Thanks
jettbird

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jettbird, First off, Welcome to 24hrcf, I hope you stick around and chat after you solve this problem.

Try Numrich Arms aka Gun Parts Co in New York and Ahlmans used gun parts and gunsmithing. As far as I know, your best two options by far. Good luck!

MARK

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
J
OP Offline
J
Mark

Thanks for the reply and welcome. Has anyone you know converted a gun to a different caliber and can it be done or are the only options wildcats? 30.06 is the cal he built it for but if I dont know if there are any mauser fn supreme actions left around so maybe a new conversion is the way to go? I will try these two and see what they may say.
Thanks
Rob

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No flies on a 30/06, but it would be a simple and inexpesive matter to re-do it to a 338 of almost any flavor i.e. 338/06, 338 WinMAg and a few other options. Lots of FN MAuser supreme rifles and actions still out there if you do not find a bolt for yours. I just sold one last week.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Someone took an FN supreme and changed it or is just a redone 98 ?
You really need to go to someone with a selection of bolts and a headspace gauge. Your post says replace extractor but text says whole bolt is gone.
Easier to find a bolt that headspces than having to set the barrel back or rechamber to fit.
If it really an FN Supreme action a complete bolt will be almost impossible to find. You'll probably have to get a 98 bolt and fit a new handle and safety.
WW II bolt action US sniper rifles were 1903A4 that are fenceposts compared to a FN Supreme.
I'd go back and tear Auntie's house apart !

Hey NSAQAM, Larry is very "IN", LOL
You also dishonor the 28th division by using the unit patch as an insult.
As for the liar, welcher Bricktop, his day is fast approaching.
Coward trolls won't accept PMs.
How's the phantom "campfire" coming ?
IC B2

J
OP Offline
J
He had it made based around the FN supreme mauser action. She removed the bolt to ship it and it was stolen and thats all she knows as she's 80 so its gone for sure.
I thought it would be tough to find. I emailed Ahlmans to ask what they could do.
I am willing to make it a conversion if thats the choice by default.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Check with gun parts LTD in West Hurley NY aka Numrich
Mitchell Mausers may also have some K98 bolts.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Also might try
Hoosier gun works

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Those are available in Brownells as well.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=9490/Product/MAUSER-EXTRACTOR

It's not that hard, but some are a bit stiff. As to seeing the "How to" You might try a search on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/results?sear...0l20l0l9l0l0l1578l4391l2-1.2.1.7-1.1l6l0

Steve

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Here's a bolt that will work. You will have to find the rest of the parts. Headspace will have to be checked.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=262224177

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have extra 98 Mauser bolts that will fit but they would need to be heaspaced to your barreled action, a new bolt handle, extractor and would need the firing pin assembly, not too hard to find. Nothing wrong with the caliber as is. If you went to a 338 mag, that would be a whole new ball game; extractor, bolt face, feed rails, follower, etc.

Send me an email if you are interested for a quote.

Jkob60msn.com

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
since it was something special to your uncle, I would keep it as is. I am not clear if you are needing just an extractor or an entire bolt assembly. if its the whole bolt, slap your aunt, because thats going to kinda suck to replace. it can be done but could mean other work needs to be done to make it work right in the gun, the gun could also have been inletted for a particular
style of bolt handle that may be tuff to replace.

as to changing it to 338 yeah that could be done but its going to mean a new barrel and opening up the bolt face to magnum. I would leave it 30-06 personally. if you want a 338 just buy a factory gun for $500 bucks, it will be cheaper than changing the gun you got over to it.

J
OP Offline
J
I'd love a quote. I could send a pic of the gun if needed to do the quote. 30.06 would be best to work from what he created. The removable bolt/extractor is what is missing obviously. He was proud of his guns at that time and used this one for mule deer in Wyoming. He shot a .300 weatherby for moose and a 25.06 for antelope but he told me he could even kill heavy game with the .30 depending upon the loads he created. Thanks

J
OP Offline
J
The whole bolt is missing as she took it out to store it and its gone. If i can do it reasonably I'll go for it but if its a crazy price It will just be a hanger queen. The bishop stock alone was supposed to be a rarity but Its useless without the bolt.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (10Glocks, 160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 67 invisible), 2,497 guests, and 1,365 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,228
Posts18,466,602
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.