Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Fenix PD30 is ALWAYS in my pocket.

The foundation for old age is good memories.
GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Do they make any that take regular batteries? Who leads in customer service and quality?? I also would like a top notch light! Thx

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Buy him the Surefire 6PX Pro. Its been the best flashlight I have ever owned.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I personally don't know why anyone is using a flashlight that takes CR123 batteries with short burn time. I carry the Coast Products T7 Tactical Lenser which puts out 200 lumens and uses 4 AAA batteries. The T7 will run for 50 hours on high and reach out well past 200 yards. All metal housing.

You can get it for around $55.

[Linked Image]

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey Y'all,

It looks like the T7 is not longer in the product line. Here is the info on the new HP7:

"The Coast HP7 LED Flashlight is a great size that is easy to carry, and packs the light output and runtime that is needed by those that rely on their light every day. A quick cycle switch allows you to select between high or low output settings, allowing you to choose the right level for your application. Coast's Pure Beam � Focusing Optic System with Fingertip Speed Focus Control� provides superior beam consistency from spot to flood, with no dark rings typically associated with focusing flashlights. Our Beam Lock System easily locks in your desired beam with a slight twist of the focusing bezel. A lightweight aluminum casing offers great durability and will hold up to heavy daily use. Backed by Coast's lifetime guarantee against defects in materials and workmanship."

ANSI/FL1 standard specifications:

Light output: High - 251 lumens; Low - 58 lumens
Runtime: High - 5 hours 45 minutes; Low - 10 hours
Beam distance: High - 196 meters (642 ft); Low - 66 meters (216 ft)
4 X AAA batteries (included)
Aluminum casing; Rubber rear switch
High and low output modes
Impact and water resistant
7.2 ounces (including batteries)
5.54 inch length
Diameter: Body - 1.24 inches; Bezel - 1.49 inches

$53 here: http://www.lightsandknives.com/Coast-HP7-Focusing-LED-Flashlight.html

[Linked Image]

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
the only company I now of that makes really really good flashlights is surefire, and they charge for it. if a guy is not recommending a surefire likely they have never owned one. I have been using an executive E2e with KL1 conversion on it. the KL1 is just an LED lense that uses alot less power than the bulb. you can buy a surefire in the same configuration without needing to convert it. I have been using this flashlight for over 8 years. its on my side at every moment except when I go to church. I use a leather double 45 ACP mag pouch to hold it and a leatherman, the corners and edges of the light have been carried so much they are polished. everything is machined aluminum, alot of the lights recommended are made in china, I don't know where surefire is made but they don't have a chinese feel to them. none of the oversees lights are going to hold up to what I have put this surefire through. it gets used everyday and I don't see any signs of it needing replacement, I don't think its even half used up. a flashlight that could last 20 years of being carried and used everyday, umm thats a pretty darn good flahlight.

looking at surefire's site they don't make my exact light anymore, the closest thing they have is this

http://www.surefire.com/E2L-Outdoorsman

it has dual illumination, it looks like I could actually change my flashlight to it by using that conversion head, I might do it. clip the unit to your hat and you have a long lasting headlamp.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
We run SF, SL, and UKs. Our Sure Fires use the disposable 123 Lithium batts and you're lucky to get 45min from a set. I have also used the rechargeable Scorpion from SL and it's a better set up than the disposable Lithium batt lights IMO.

If you don't want to break the bank, I prefer UK. I run the SL6s that run on 6 C cell alkaline batts. They give me a really bright white light for around 4 hrs on a set of batteries, but may be a bit bulky for a pocket light. The 4AA Xenon UK is another favorite for a smaller light, but it doesn't have near the lumens of the others folks have mentioned. UKs are pretty cheap in comparison as well, 4AAs are only around $15 each and SL6s are about $40 each(They come with a set of Duracell batts from the factory). I probably have 6-8 UK SL6s laying around. Been damn good lights for many years. If they work for diving, they'll serve the purpose for what I'd use em for.

Have a good one,

loder

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

candlepowerforums.com

But be warned. The flashlight loonies you find there are, if anything, loonier than rifle loonies.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Surefire 6PX pro or G2X pro

200 lumen or 15 lumen settings

You don't always want to be using a super bright beam all the time.

I believe in Surefire's brightness ratings-other makers -not so much.

Surefire is tops when it comes to reliability,durability and good electronics.

The point of using the 123 lithium cells is longer shelf life,lighter weight and better cold temperature performance.

The 123 lithium cells can be had as cheap as alkaline cells these days.

If he likes AA battery lights check out the Surefire E2L AA.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Check this company out. http://www.blackbearflashlights.com/l_bearcub.htm

Seems like people hear like them, including Rick Bin. http://24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5576673/1

Steak, It's my favorite vegetable!
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Timberbuck
Surefire 6PX pro or G2X pro

200 lumen or 15 lumen settings

You don't always want to be using a super bright beam all the time.

I believe in Surefire's brightness ratings-other makers -not so much.

Surefire is tops when it comes to reliability,durability and good electronics.

The point of using the 123 lithium cells is longer shelf life,lighter weight and better cold temperature performance.

The 123 lithium cells can be had as cheap as alkaline cells these days.

+1. My wife and I both have these models. I like how the first click of the light is always low beam.(reading maps,checking gear,etc.) Clicking twice for the high beam. Sold on the Surefires. In fact, my dad just bought a 6PX Pro after seeing mine. He has a Streamlight rechargable but for those long trips, tough to charge without power. Check out Brightguy.com.

Also...seem to have good luck with surefire brand batteries.

Last edited by rmpace; 11/30/11. Reason: add detail

'Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.' -Carl Sagan

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I have used Fenix, Coast and Olight with good results. I mostly run the AA battery versions, but have some that run the CR123's. I use rechargable batteries in all of them. There is a single battery ( #18650 I think ) that will replace 2 of the CR123's. I have done business at Flash-lights.com and batteryjunction.com with no problems.

79inpa Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
i should have mentioned that my dad isn't too high tech. I think that it would be best if the light ran on aa batteries.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by 79inpa
My Dad is always telling people that he wouldn't go anywhere without a flashlight. This year for christmas I want to give him a really good flashlight that isn't so big that he can't carry it on him all the time. He does were coveralls so it can be sorta big. I was thinking that a surefire light would be a good buy for him. I already bought him some other christmas stuff so 130 bucks is prolly about all that I will spend. What light do you recommend.

For the fun of being different ... er, broadening your list of options ... I'm going to suggest something else: Coleman 3AAA LED Aluminum Flashlight. I get 'em through Amazon.com for just under $22 each.

They've changed the design just a hair since I bought mine, mine doesn't have the lengthwise fluting in the .. part where the light comes out but the switch is the same, everything else seems to be the same.

What I like is the use of the AAA batteries. I carry 2 maglight single AAA battery "solitaires", I think they are called, plus a tiny digital audio recorder that runs on AAA batteries when I'm camping / backpacking in the deep woods. Its nice to have all the electronics run on one kind of battery.

This little SOB puts out more light than my old 4D mag light even with its LED upgrade. It's truly an amazing little light.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Oh, for an AA battery light, I like the 2 AA size mag light with a "Nite Ize" LED upgrade. The "Nite Ize" bulb is better than the factory LED versions.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I carry a Fenix L2T on my belt everyday.
It uses 2 AA rechargable batteries.
It has 2 levels of power, on high I get several hrs of run time, on low it will last for days.
Very simple to use, click button on rear for off and on, twist head change brightness levels.
I am a plumber and I use this light daily and it is 2yrs old and still going strong. I think it cost about $30 with batts and a charger. It will also use regular AA if needed.
I also have Pelican,Surefire G2, E1,Avaitor, and other Fenix lites.
The L2T is my favorite.

Coach

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
anyone have that 800 lumin Fenix that uses 4 D cells, the model TK60?

_
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
_
Four Sevens make some decent lights, they also sell Fenix.

www.4sevens.com

Both Four Sevens and Fenix are made in china but are good quality. Fenix is probably a bit better quality than Four Sevens.

Peter

"I spent 90% of my money on women, drink and fast cars. The rest I wasted." - George Best
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Anyone here familiar with EagleTac? How do they compare with fenix, surefire etc...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
www.malkoffdevices.com
Made in America by a man, his wife and children. Customer service is the best ever. If you don't like it, send it back.

They also make a "drop-in" for mag lights.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

67 members (1973cb450, 808outdoors, ATC, Bclark, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 1,395 guests, and 744 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,674
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.