Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Having become addicted to assembling varmint rifles on new Savage Precision Target Actions, I became curious about using a Remington 700 Short Action to build a similar swap barrel rifle.

So I ordered a Remington 700 SA bare action through my dealer from Brownell�s. The action went off to Greg Tannel to have the bolt double sleeved, locking lugs faced and matched, the firing pin bushed and a .250� double pinned recoil lug installed. Then I ordered a Pac-Nor pre-fit barrel with Rem Nut in .22-250 A.I. with a muzzle brake in 1:9� twist. I set up a Bell & Carlson Medallist M-40 style stock for the action, and installed a Jewel trigger.

Pac-Nor is extremely busy, a good thing, so the barrel ordered in July has not arrived as I write this. So, curious to try out the assemblage, I did the unthinkable and ordered a Spanish made Bergara Barrel pre-fit from stock on hand. They had a S.S. Remington Varmint Contour 26� barrel in .22-250 with a 1:12� twist. The barrels come with a smooth barrel nut that installs with a strap wrench! The barrel arrived within a little over a week. So it was soon lashed up to the action, but with a standard Remington recoil lug salvaged from my old 40X. I�m used to using a Savage barrel nut wrench coupled to a torque wrench to install barrels, so I didn�t hold out much hope for accuracy with my Ridgid strap wrench.

Below are early load development results for the Bergara barrel. Each group is 10 shots at 100 yards. Each red diamond measures .550�. The shots outside the groups were aiming errors on my part. Two of the flyers in the Benchmark group were caused by rushing the last two shots during the last minute of the firing period. Primer strikes on the cases were centered on the primers, and cases came from the chamber surprisingly close to unfired dimensions � F.L. sizing is optional. The barrel cleaned up as easily as any of my other barrels from Shilen, Brux or Pac-Nor. Not bad for an off-the-shelf ready to install $367.00 barrel including shipping. I�d be happy to take this rig on a varmint hunt just as it is, even more so with a bit more load refinement. Then again, I�m always the last guy to discover these things.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

BP-B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I am sure you know that your barrel company hired Ed Shilen to help them set up their barrel company. They have some very sophisticated machinery. My only comment is you could have had a custom receiver for about the price that you have in yours.
It does look like a shooter.
Butch

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I tried to buy some blanks from them and it took them 7 months to get back to me! No thanks.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
I am sure you know that your barrel company hired Ed Shilen to help them set up their barrel company. They have some very sophisticated machinery. My only comment is you could have had a custom receiver for about the price that you have in yours.
It does look like a shooter.
Butch

Fortunately, I am blessed that I do not have to concern myself with cost. The way I build allows things to be done as money becomes available, for those on a budget that works too. I have custom actions, but I really prefer to use mass produced actions that anyone can buy or may have on a rifle laying around. That way parts and accessories are readily available. I had been toying with buying one of the new Shilen DGV actions, but went with the Remington to see how well current production would work.

On a whim I decided to test the Bergara product, and was pleasantly surprised. Bergara certainly increased the options available to the shooter.

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I tried to buy some blanks from them and it took them 7 months to get back to me! No thanks.

After seven months I'd forget what it was I needed! Although, I'm up to 5 months waiting for the Pac-Nor barrel, and I've waited longer for a Shilen or Hart barrel. That's why I purchased the Bergara from stock. At my age, I don't need extended delivery times.

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I had given up and forgotten all about them until i got a call a couple of weeks ago and I made my inquiries the week after the SHOT show!!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
611 members (2003and2013, 219 Wasp, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 60 invisible), 2,501 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,599
Posts18,398,245
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.