Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Yes the russians had the 5R type. Boots borrowed it and as I recall changed the geometry a bit of course

And cut rifled it, because we all know there's no other way to wind up with five lands having angled sides. grin

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I have a Broughton 5C in 300 Win Mag which cleans easily and shoots great. It is not at all unusual for me to get sub 2" groups (3 shots) at 250 yards with the 180 Barnes TSX bullet, and not at all uncommon to see some under 1.5" at 250 yards for me. I put the slam dunk on a spike elk at 575 yards with this load and gun a month ago.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by rockchuck828
Originally Posted by mathman
Doesn't 5R have more to do with the profile of the rifling than the method used to produce it?

Well no.
Ever heard of a man named Boots Obermeyer ?
He states "5R is the form of rifling I developed. These barrels have 5 grooves,and the lands have angular sides that are single point cut rifled".
Others have tried to copy the design to one extent or another, Tim North of Broughton barrels makes a similar product that is button rifled that they call a 5C. Shilen has a similar product that they call "Ratchet rifling" that is also button rifled. Krieger and a few others got permission from Boots to use the term 5R and they are all cut rifled.
Remington uses a 5R "TYPE" hammer forged counterfeit barrel.

For example:I have a $50 bill in my pocket, I can print one on my computer that looks pretty close...It is a $50 TYPE bill but is a counterfeit and does not work nearly as well as a real $50 bill.

Now that funny being that a "Counterfeit" Broughton holds the 1K BR record 10 shot group

Last edited by 338Norma; 12/05/11.

"Fast is fine accurate is final"
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by 338Norma
Doesn't 5R have more to do with the profile of the rifling than the method used to produce it?

Well no.
He states "5R is the form of rifling I developed. These barrels have 5 grooves,and the lands have angular sides that are single point cut rifled".
Others have tried to copy the design to one extent or another, Tim North of Broughton barrels makes a similar product that is button rifled that they call a 5C. Shilen has a similar product that they call "Ratchet rifling" that is also button rifled. Krieger and a few others got permission from Boots to use the term 5R and they are all cut rifled.

For example:I have a $50 bill in my pocket, I can print one on my computer that looks pretty close...It is a $50 TYPE bill but is a counterfeit and does not work nearly as well as a real $50 bill.

Now that funny being that a "Counterfeit" Broughton holds the 1K BR record 10 shot group

You dumb [bleep],
I said nothing about Broughton being a counterfeit, I stated that Broughton copied the 5R and they call their barrel a 5C, A great barrel that I own but is button rifled so they call it a 5C not a 5R.
If you want to stir chit do a little homework.
The only barrel I called counterfeit is the Jammington 5R.

btw welcome to the fire norma

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Well no.

You dumb [bleep],
I said nothing about Broughton being a counterfeit, I stated that Broughton copied the 5R and they call their barrel a 5C, A great barrel that I own but is button rifled so they call it a 5C not a 5R.
If you want to stir chit do a little homework.
The only barrel I called counterfeit is the Jammington 5R.

btw welcome to the fire norma

It appeared you were calling anything but a single piont cut 5r counterfeit and "does not nearly work as well as a real $50 bill"

WOW tough crowd here dont need a lesson been shooting 5r's and C's for years, on Tims frequent flyer list.

As for the dumb [bleep] thats not nice you POS oops wink
PS thanks for the welcome

"Fast is fine accurate is final"
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

WOW tough crowd here dont need a lesson

Well aparently you do !!!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

As for the dumb [bleep] thanks

You are welcome Norma

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

689 members (007FJ, 163dm, 160user, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 63 invisible), 3,141 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,579
Posts18,454,096
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.