Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 16 of 70 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 69 70
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gerrygoat
The only thing I want to add to this rather entertaining thread that some of the "tactical" type rifles that get used would be next to useless when a grizz shows up unexpectedly at close range.....

Burnsfeld carries a handgun but he probably won't admit it.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
^^^ I forgot you guys are allowed to use handguns unlike us and our stupid laws......

Gerry.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 79S

Got it so a 300 weatherby can kill a elk??

Happy New Years to you as well

John

I don't know. I've never shot one and only hunted them once.

But shrap seems to think it works well.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Dave, you have such a way with works... No hidden meanings there..

If I dint went to prison I'd have ben a coledge gradjewat.

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Carry on!! You are always entertaining!!

Molon Labe
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

John, very nice Bulls. Good for you! and the best in the New Year.

But I seem to get partially obscured, long to five hundred yard shots in poor light and tail-end angles when I chase elk. That, and I live in Iowa and have less than a week to do it or not every couple of years, come-what-may "global warming," at the time.

It also looks like I may have about twenty years on you; by experience, I won't go heavier than 8.5 pounds with a working 300 Wby, 340 Wby, or 375 and that works for me as I've done it for years after this game or that and in once in Africa.

While I wont shoot past six hundred, my object is to drive a [/b]high energy[b], bigger bullet from from stem to stern if I have to, and if I get a clear target, and an immobile one.

Anybody else can use what they can carry or what is carried and works for them and, and as they say, more power to them (you).

George,

Thanks for the well reasoned post. Like most of us I like yipin and yappin about elk rifles.

As I said before I am a victim of my experiences and have never needed the bullet to reach the Stern when the bull was shot in the Stem. The important stuff lays in the Stem and having a bullet make it out the Stern (hindquarters) after destroying the vitals is not a requirement for my elk hunting.

As to shooting through the Stern (hind end), in an effort to reach the vitals in the Stem, we may have to part ways. Even with the best of penetrating bullets that shot is to risky for me. Bullets have a tenancy to do funny things in 4 feet of bone, muscle, guts and grass long before they get to the important stuff.

If one needs to immobilize a wounded bull going straight away then breaking the pelvic girdle is much more sure and my .264 Win Mag is more than enough gun.

The crux of the matter is that properly shot bulls tend to die pretty quick with a multitude of rounds. I like rounds that are the easier to shoot than the .300 Bee, resist the atmosphere better than the .300 Bee, and anchor properly hit bull with authority.

It's not that I think the .300 Wby won't work on elk, I just think there are better rounds for general elk hunting and that is the question in the OP.

Thanks again and as I suspect things are going to get a bit western please don't take anything posted below to be directed at you. grin
John,

You get twitterpated too easily. The thread was about 300 WBY not you. You have made it about you, no one brought you or your equipment up but you.

All righty then.

Originally Posted by bellydeep
John what is your favorite round?

Maybe you could school us on a 243 at 700 yards. Now that is a good round...

Shooting specialized guns under controlled circumstances doesn't put you in the rank and file category and certainly doesn't make a better hunter.

Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
John B -

Those are some pretty awesome bulls.

I dare say, though, that if you didn't have four-footed transportation you might quickly decide that a 10 pound rifle is unnecessarily heavy.

But there are other methods of hunting elk where your guns don't work so well. That's all.

As a side note you might want to check the thread title "The 300 Wby Mag- is there anything better". The thread is actually about cartridges better than the .300 Wby, hence the reason I am here. laugh

There is a pattern here, you keep on with your spray tan and dental smile while spouting the virtues of your gun's superiority over the 300 WBY.

I like patterns. Spray Tan, Smile, Nice Bull, cartridge "better" than the .300 Wby. wink

[Linked Image]

You still haven't recognized the fact that large bullets have more energy than smaller bullets, or why don't they allow you to hunt DG with 243 and 6.5 guns...

Tell me more about this "energy".

While your at it please list anywhere that restricts a 6.5mm for dangerous game but allows a .300 Wby. As you will be Googling a bit throw the search term "WMD Bell" in and learn a bit on shot placement, 6.5mms, and elephants. laugh

In the immortal words of a close personal friend of mine from Paradise AK "Who chews your food?" crazy

Originally Posted by 79S
So to shoot elk I need a spray tan, dental smile and a 243??? Got it

I ain't sayin it is the only way but the recipe has proven to work pretty well. Up gun to a hot rod 6.5mm and we find a real sweet spot.

Originally Posted by deflave
Spray Tan isn't here to talk about the 300 Weatherby. He's here to show us he can fold himself in half and suck his own COCK.

Happy New Year,
Dave

Who wants to talk about the .300 Wby? The thread is about "better". That's why I am here.

Side note on sucking, have you seen Shrappys sig line??

If you want to fit in with a new crowd, ask them if they know shrapnel. There is no friggin' way they won't know who that man is. He is the Chuck Norris of Montana and you will have a nice icebreaker to discuss.
Travis

I don't know what's gayer, you writing that or him using it as a sig line. shocked laugh

Happy New Year.

Last edited by JohnBurns; 01/01/16.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 79S

Grizz? Never heard of her. Sounds scary. eek

Would you shoot a Brn bear/ grizzly at 1,000 Yards? Or you just long range shoot elk??

Maybe.

I killed this one at 620yds. 7mm Mag/ 180gr VLD.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by gerrygoat
The only thing I want to add to this rather entertaining thread that some of the "tactical" type rifles that get used would be next to useless when a grizz shows up unexpectedly at close range.....

Burnsfeld carries a handgun but he probably won't admit it.

Why would I not admit to carrying a handgun??

Grizzly tracks in the snow. .264 Win Mag bull on the ground.

[Linked Image]

You dudes need to quit asking questions about me and my stuff. Shrappy don't like it. laugh

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Burnsfeld,

I've owned chocolate labs bigger than than terrifying griz of yours.

I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

John, that grizzly is a beaut.

I don't want to belabor this gack but your reply to my last post made me think I may have given the impression I shoot a 300 B so that I can regularly shoot elk in the butt. Nope, I don't.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Burnsfeld,

Sure you have, dipschit. laugh laugh laugh

How about you hang a picture of a Grizzly you killed that was bigger. shocked shocked laugh

[Linked Image]

At least you are a man of your word. wink

Alright. This is my last reply to you on this topic.

I don't want to belabor this gack but your reply to my last post made me think I may have given the impression I shoot a 300 B so that I can regularly shoot elk in the butt. Nope, I don't.

Thanks George,

I never thought you were a butt shooter and do appreciate your thoughtful and fun discussion on the matter of elk rifles even if we come to different conclusion as to the best elk cartridge.

Guys like you make the campfire tolerable when the lunnys start to run.

Thanks again. grin

John Burns

I have all the sources.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Ah, the age-old argument: Keith vs O'Connor.
Speed vs momentum. Flat-shooting vs raking-shot penetration.
I suspect many who shoot the 300 Wby feel it is the perfect balance of the two sides
of the argument: it shoots as flat as a magnum 7 and has the energy of a magnum 338.....

Thats a good way to describe the virtues of the 300wby

I loved my .300wby with 180s and loved my later purchase .338win with 225s,

but my choice nowdays would be neither of those!
instead it would be the .340wby with fast 200-210 monometals.

It really offers it all:: speed,momentum, flat shooting and raking shot penetration.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

[quote=bellydeep]

Yeah. I said that when I thought you wanted to have an honest conversation about elk rifles. Now I think that deflaves take on the whole matter is probably correct.

It's funny because at one point, I respected you. Unfortunately, you have your orange head shoved so far up your bleached azzhole, I'm not sure if you'll ever get it out.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[quote=bellydeep]

Yeah. I said that when I thought you wanted to have an honest conversation about elk rifles. Now I think that deflaves take on the whole matter is probably correct.

It's funny because at one point, I respected you. Unfortunately, you have your orange head shoved so far up your bleached azzhole, I'm not sure if you'll ever get it out.

Okey Doekey.

That's not weird at all. crazy crazy

Next time a thread on Elk Rifle comes up and you start wondering if any of the posters have "bleached Azzholes" that would be a clue that you are really not so interested in elk rifles and might be happier haninging out at the "Blue Oyster Bar".

Not judgin, just sayin. blush

John Burns

I have all the sources.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Burnsfeld,

Sure you have, dipschit. laugh laugh laugh

How about you hang a picture of a Grizzly you killed that was bigger. shocked shocked laugh

[Linked Image]

Thanks George,

I never thought you were a butt shooter and do appreciate your thoughtful and fun discussion on the matter of elk rifles even if we come to different conclusion as to the best elk cartridge.

Guys like you make the campfire tolerable when the lunnys start to run.

Thanks again. grin

Hunting Bears with Tom Shankster?

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 79S

Sure, why not??

Tom put on a great hunt and I had a metric butt load of fun.

Killed a decent blackie in addition to the Grizzly.

[Linked Image]

If I was to complain there seemed to be a bit much hiking. I killed the Grizzly at the very far left edge of the blackie picture and hiking that far seems you know "excessive".

A better outfitter would have had the Grizzlys and the Blackies in closer proximity. Good Lord I had a 10lbs rifle to carry. tired tired

Tom was really not all that sympathetic and sort went with the "toughen up buttercup, hike your azz up the river and kill a Grizzly." Tough Love is best Love.

As a real plus my guide had a awesome azz tattt.

[Linked Image]

John Burns

I have all the sources.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

Sure, why not??

Tom put on a great hunt and I had a metric butt load of fun.

Killed a decent blackie in addition to the Grizzly.

[Linked Image]

If I was to complain there seemed to be a bit much hiking. I killed the Grizzly at the very far left edge of the blackie picture and hiking that far seems you know "excessive".

A better outfitter would have had the Grizzlys and the Blackies in closer proximity. Good Lord I had a 10lbs rifle to carry. tired tired

Tom was really not all that sympathetic and sort went with the "toughen up buttercup, hike your azz up the river and kill a Grizzly." Tough Love is best Love.

As a real plus my guide had a awesome azz tattt.

[Linked Image]

glad you had a good time with him....

Last edited by 79S; 01/01/16.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 79S
[quote=79S]

glad you had a good time with him.... Bunch of us Alaskans are hoping he loses his guide license though but at least you will have the memories...

That Dillinger River country is pretty frickin nice. Sheep, Moose, Grizzly, Blackies in abundance. I suspect more than a "bunch" of fellows want Tom to lose it.

Not exactly the kind of thing to brag about on the net. But then you seem to not really be a high class sort of fellow. blush

Congratulations?

Oppsi, caught you before the edit, doushebag. laugh laugh laugh

Last edited by JohnBurns; 01/01/16.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
[quote=79S]

glad you had a good time with him.... Bunch of us Alaskans are hoping he loses his guide license though but at least you will have the memories...

That Dillinger River country is pretty frickin nice. Sheep, Moose, Grizzly, Blackies in abundance. I suspect more than a "bunch" of fellows want Tom to lose it.

Not exactly the kind of thing to brag about on the net. But then you seem to not really be a high class sort of fellow. blush

Congratulations?

Oppsi, caught you before the edit. laugh laugh laugh

Yeah I went edited to clean it up figured leave it alone... Yeah I'm pretty low class fellow drink beer from a can sometimes from a bottle.. In general we don't care for out of state guides. Majority of the time they will shoot an area out and move onto another area.. If the unit 19 AC was smart they would do what unit 13 AC did and set it up where NR have to draw for a moose permit... Most Alaskans want to see sheep go to a draw for NR as well... But those are decisions for the AC and BOG...

Last edited by 79S; 01/01/16.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Spray Tan isn't here to talk about the 300 Weatherby. He's here to show us he can fold himself in half and suck his own COCK.

What's wrong with that? It's sex with the person he loves most in all the world....

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As an eastern guy who has hunted Moose a number of times but never hunted Elk (although I plan to ), I had always led to believe Elk were tougher to bring down than Moose and you need at least a 300 mag. Many of the gunwriters touted the various 338 mags as perfect I just accepted it because I didn't know. Then I started watching Best of the West on TV and those guys were doing some crazy things with the 7mm Rem. mag. I joined the CF and John Burns is doing those same things with a .264 mag. Thanks to them I have a different perspective and when I finally get around to Elk hunting I won't follow the eastern hype and go straight to a .300 mag. Whatever I do take will probably start with a 2. I don't shoot long range but I feel there is a lot to be gleaned from those who do.

Page 16 of 70 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 69 70

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 64 invisible), 2,404 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,112
Posts18,464,428
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.