Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 52 of 70 1 2 50 51 52 53 54 69 70
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by BWalker

Your grasp on reading comprehension is minimal. I said I don't care if John lied. I don't even know what he supposedly lied about and I really could care less.
The fact of the matter is you are a slob and a poor shot and this has been chronicled in your own words multiple times. The fact you found a few other slobs to hunt with should give you no solace.

The fact is I misjudged the wind on a 400-yard cross-valley shot and lost my first animal in 34 years of hunting. One other elk went a short ways and went down in heavy sage. As I approached it got up and jumped a nearby fence to private land, went a ways across open grassland and came back, stopping just shy of the fence and clearly on its last legs. I don't think it had the strength left to jump the fence again. In any case another hunter on the private land shot it again and claimed it. Since it was recovered and would have been anyway if the other hunter hadn't shot it, I don't count that one as lost. Since 2000 I've put 14 elk in the freezer plus I don't know how many deer and antelope and didn't keep good track before then. The last three elk I've taken home were at ranges of 400, 487 and 411 yards respectively and my last antelope was at 373 yards. While I don't claim to be the best shot around, I am far better and more practiced than most. Bring your hunting rifles and we'll put clay pigeons on the 600 yard berm and see who gets more hits using the shooting positions of your choice. My hit ratio has been as high as 40% on a total of 5 shots using two different rifles - so you might want to practice first.

As to the "other slobs" I hunt with, all of them are clearly more mature than you are. While I hunted with a couple of "slobs" back in the 1980's, they never lasted more than one hunt because they never got invited a second time.

Don't forget - Mule Deer lied.

Excuses and Azzholes ...

This thing about 14 elk in 16 years looks like a piss-poor record considering you say you are hunting multiple licenses each year, hunting ranches with 75% and 84% success rates, while hunting guided on one of the ranches, then claiming 33 years experience and still crippling elk and leaving the landowners to ponder your mess. Moral of the story - 33 years road hunting and ranch hunting does not equal 33 years hunting experience.

You have posted this clay pigeon story dozens of times. If you insist upon NOT learning to actually hunt and can't shake your sniper envy then go to gunsite or one of the other fine schools and get professional help. Do yourself and the elk (and us) a favor and lose this DIY hillbilly sniper training fantasy.

Your fixation with Mule Deer seems to be a lame attempt to distract from your preposterous recounts of you own hunts. No one is going to waste the time to roll in the mud with you over fencelines, units hunted, locations, etc, but your story doesn't wash. It is insulting that you think that anyone can't see through that.

You clearly have very little respect for elk, landowners, for this forum, for you hunting partners, and what that really boils down to is lack of respect for yourself.

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by BWalker
To someone that is a good shooter 400 yards is a chipshot.

Agreed. Unless the wind is miscalculated, which is easy to do on a cross-valley or cross-canyon shot.

I hit the elk and it started out leaving by far the largest blood trail I have ever seen. The dark color of the blood indicated a liver hit and chest-high blood evidence on the brush along it's path indicated a pass-through. Stuff happens.

Hope you never have a similar event.

Wind drifts calculations get easier when you know how to chose the correct bullets, which you dont.
An elk is a huge target..your a crappy shooter using crappy equipment.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
And you have no clue where you hit that elk. A liver hit is pretty deadly and it doesn't take that long.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't forget this is the same guy that fired a 280 in his 338 last fall...

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Do tell.....

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by bellydeep

Takes a real idiot to pull that off..

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
For me, I think my 8mm Rem mag or my 338378KT is better for elk on up than any 30 caliber. Will a 30 work? Sure it will, but when the chips are down, I want more bullet weight and a larger bore.

Rick

Life is not a spectator sport, get out and have fun.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Alamosa

Excuses and Azzholes ...

This thing about 14 elk in 16 years looks like a piss-poor record considering you say you are hunting multiple licenses each year, hunting ranches with 75% and 84% success rates, while hunting guided on one of the ranches, then claiming 33 years experience and still crippling elk and leaving the landowners to ponder your mess. Moral of the story - 33 years road hunting and ranch hunting does not equal 33 years hunting experience.

14 elk in 16 years is a pretty good record considering I normally take only one animal regardless of how many tags I have. Last year was a case in point when I had an easy 175-ish yard shot at a cow that I turned down while working on my bull. I also generally wait until my hunting partners get their elk (or go home) before trying to take one myself. In now 34 years of hunting I've only hunted RFW ranches 5 times and over 2/3 of my elk have been taken on public property. Three Forks was guided but the ranch provides the guides for free - hunters are not allowed to wander the ranch by themselves. The Three Forks hunt accounts for one cow. None of the other hunts were guided. Overall I've taken over 20 elk and lost one with no lost deer or antelope. Some people might be ashamed of that record. I, for one, am not.

When I was road hunting in 2014 it was the only option available to me due to a bad hip that had gotten much worse after two days of hunting. If you think I'm going to apologize for that you are very much mistaken. My days of putting 35-40 miles on my legs during elk season are over, even with my new hip.

You have posted this clay pigeon story dozens of times. If you insist upon NOT learning to actually hunt and can't shake your sniper envy then go to gunsite or one of the other fine schools and get professional help. Do yourself and the elk (and us) a favor and lose this DIY hillbilly sniper training fantasy.

It isn't "sniper envy", I do it because it is a challenge and it helps improve my shooting skills. Very similar to when Granddad has us kids shoot the buttons off aerosol cans as kids before he would let us hunt his squirrels.

Your fixation with Mule Deer seems to be a lame attempt to distract from your preposterous recounts of you own hunts. No one is going to waste the time to roll in the mud with you over fencelines, units hunted, locations, etc, but your story doesn't wash. It is insulting that you think that anyone can't see through that.

You clearly have very little respect for elk, landowners, for this forum, for you hunting partners, and what that really boils down to is lack of respect for yourself.

The reason you find them "preposterous" is you continually confuse and conflate the events and times in your muddled mind.

And, in case you haven't heard, Mule Deer lied.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
More excuses and BS per usual.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I want to hear about the .280/.338. Sounds epic.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smokepole

Here ya go. As with any CH adventure, you gotta sort through alotta key strokes before you figure out what went on

280 in a 338 story

Last edited by bellydeep; 06/01/16.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

It isn't "sniper envy", I do it because it is a challenge and it helps improve my shooting skills. Very similar to when Granddad has us kids shoot the buttons off aerosol cans as kids before he would let us hunt his squirrels.

Ironically, a copy of some sniper book can be seen in pictures of your dash in the link I posted above.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Ironically, a copy of some sniper book can be seen in pictures of your dash in the link I posted above.

Yup. Pretty decent book, too. Learned a lot about how things operated over there (Iraq). But then I'm a history buff.

Doesn't change that Mule Deer lied.

[Edited to add...]

By the way, I have read 'American Sniper and a book on Carlos Hathcock as well. Those three books are just a few of the over 100 history books I have on my shelves, most of which deal with the wars the US has been involved in, from the Revolutionary war on.

Which has nothing to do with the fact that Mule Deer lied.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 06/01/16.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Here ya go. As with any CH adventure, you gotta sort through alotta key strokes before you figure out what went on

280 in a 338 story

I was wrong, it wasn't just epic. It was ultra epic. What is the word to describe something like that again?.....oh yeah, "uber"!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

280 in a 338 story

I was wrong, it wasn't just epic. It was ultra epic. What is the word to describe something like that again?.....oh yeah, "uber"!!

Yeah it's a great one!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

280 in a 338 story

Glad you liked it.

Mule Deer lied.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yeah it's a great one!

Thank you.

Mule Deer lied.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Mule Deer lied.

So did George Washington. That story about the cherry tree was all bullsh**. Disheartening, isn't it?

But truth is stranger than fiction and neither one could top your .280/.338 story on a good day. I especially liked the part where you explained that it wasn't the first time you'd fired a rifle with a very different cartridge than the one the rifle was chambered for, that showed a real flair for the dramatic.

I don't know about the rest of these fellas, but that right there put it over the top for me. Truly uber.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Mule Deer lied.

Coyote Hunter cried.

Page 52 of 70 1 2 50 51 52 53 54 69 70

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

635 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 76 invisible), 2,570 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,687
Posts18,456,452
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.