Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 70 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 69 70
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
The perfect elk rifle/cartridge is the one in your hands when hunting elk. This is not rocket science.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
BP-B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Whatever I have is right... but bigger animals mean wider bullets to me basically...

But I think it only really could matter in non perfect situations.

I'd hunt em with a 243, understanding the limitations and using a barnes and the right shot angle and distance without a doubt.

It would not be my trophy go to rifle... that one would very likely be 338 of some flavor if not slightly larger possibly.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hit the range yesterday and narrowed down my choices for the elk hunt. semi-custom Ruger boat paddle /stainless .338 WM wiht 225g AB and Ruger Hawkeye All-Weather .280 Rem wiht 140g AB.

Don't know which will be the one I grab opening morning but don't think it makes much difference. Neither one is a .300WBY and I don't think that will make a difference, either.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 10/26/15.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
The perfect elk rifle/cartridge is the one in your hands when hunting elk. This is not rocket science.

wink Just make sure the cartridge goes with said rifle. I was reading somewhere where this dumb azz brought the wrong ammo for his rifle when he went elk hunting last year... Forgot who that was... whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

wink Just make sure the cartridge goes with said rifle. I was reading somewhere where this dumb azz brought the wrong ammo for his rifle when he went elk hunting last year... Forgot who that was... whistle

I heard that also. Discovered .45-70 ammo wouldn't chamber in the .257 Roberts worth a damn... smile

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

IC B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E

Interesting..... I have the cartridge name written on my ammo boxes i.e. .270 Winchester,.300 Wby,7x57 Mauser etc.... easy to get the right one. wink

And for those cartridges which I have more than one rifle,I have the rifle in which the ammo is for. For instance with my FN Mauser .270 Win,on the box lid it reads .270 Win FN. For my Winchester Super Grade it says .270 Win Super Grade.

It's not rocket science.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Interesting..... I have the cartridge name written on my ammo boxes i.e. .270 Winchester,.300 Wby,7x57 Mauser etc.... easy to get the right one. wink

And for those cartridges which I have more than one rifle,I have the rifle in which the ammo is for. For instance with my FN Mauser .270 Win,on the box lid it reads .270 Win FN. For my Winchester Super Grade it says .270 Win Super Grade.

It's not rocket science.

It isn't rocket science but it does require remembering to change the ammo when you change the rifle at the last second...

[Linked Image]

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
With the two examples I gave the FN load is a 150 gr Nosler Partition and the load for the Super Grade is a 130 gr Nosler Partition. If I forget what the load is,I open the box and look at the paper which has the info.

Either of those two loads will handle anything I want to hunt with a .270 Winchester.

For my third .270,it uses a 130 gr Swift A-Frame. On that box it says .270 Win CHG. CHG is Custom High Grade.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bighorn
Flat trajectory. Massive downrange energy. Sub MOA accuracy from many rifle and handload combos. High but manageable recoil in most rifle weights. Almost unlimited bullet selection, and widely universal availability of factory ammo, if needed
If you were on a trophy hunt for big bulls, could you really come up with a better choice?
For myself, the next bull will fall to another TSX, 165 or 180 gr, with extreme confidence.
Why undergun yourself with lesser armament, or overrun yourself with higher recoil?
If Roy himself were around today, I'm guessing he would endorse his 300 as perfection on elk.

Back in my magnum phase, I decided to go with the 338 win mag after shooting and hunting different '300 mags'. I found with the noise and recoil associated with the 300 mags or the 338 I decided to run the 338. If you can shoot one of the 300 mags you can shoot a 338 win and have more bullet... that was then.

Now, my last elk I killed with my 280 rem stoked with 150 grain ballistic tips. While not a trophy, the small 3x4 bull made it a whole 20 yards and tipped over very dead with his vitals turned to soup complete penetration with about a 1-1/2 exit hole.

I did shoot a second time as the bull was stumbling out of the clearing and hit him in the last rib to angle forward threw the already destroyed vitals and broke the off side shoulder.... but I still would have shot a second time even if I had a 300 or a 338 in my hands... If there up, yer shoot'n

I have been hunting a long time and once thought a magnum was the answer, but along the way its always been shot placement not the 'displacement size' of the cartridge. It did not take me long to find out elk just do not lay down dead after being vitally hit even with a magnum, or with ANY caliber for that matter.

Shot placement, knowing limits and firearm familiarity trumps names, brands and all the money one can spend.

The 300 mags are fine elk guns. A mans just gotta know his limits..... Most of those fine points bighorn gave about the 300 Weatherby could just a arguably be said about the lowly 30-06 wink

Last edited by boomwack; 10/30/15.

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

It's not rocket science.

It isn't rocket science but it does require remembering to change the ammo when you change the rifle at the last second...

[Linked Image]

On the other hand, it helps to read the labels in the box, something I forgot to do when in a hurry last Friday morning in the dark...

[Linked Image]

Left to right, .338WM, .280 Rem fired in a .338WM, .280 Rem, .375 Win fired in a .45-70 ( a mistake I made years ago).

[Linked Image]

Ended up taking my 6x with my buddy's 7mm RM and a 160g Grand Slam.

160g Grand Slam recovered from 6x5 bull, 411 yards, quartering away:
[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lets hear the story behind that first shot, Coyote Hunter!

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
How much better is a Weaterby than a Winchester in 300 mag?

What % faster in MV?

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
RR, I have both.. Both 700's with Lilja barrels.. The Win. has a 26" the Wea. a 27".. With the loads I checked, the Wea. is about 100 fps. faster than the Win.. I also have a .300 win. with a 28" barrel with my std. load, it shoots about 75 fps. than the Wea.. To me they are both great rounds.. They have excellent speed with lighter bullets and with 220's they have ample power for any game we have..

The one advantage that I see with the Win.. In a long action like the 700, I can seat the bullet out as far as I need to to achieve accuracy.. In the Wea. caliber, the magazine box limits that ability.. But so far the Wea. is a very accurate rifle..

John Jobson was a big fan of the .270, but somewhere in my files I have his article on elk rifles.. He said the .300 Wea. was about the perfect rifle for elk.. He was an experienced hunter, reloader and shooter, I always felt he knew what he was talking about..

Molon Labe
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
They are very close in comparison,but it seems that the Winchester is much more common for brass, manufactured ammunition and guns available in that caliber that all these conveniences make up for the slight advantage in fps.

Just an easier animal to work with.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
No doubt!! In equal barrel lengths, and given a long magazine like the 700, they are very close, but the Wea. does have a bit of an edge..

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
300 ultra for those born from the late 70's on..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In these days of near-continuous shortage, I'd probably go Win mag over WBY just for brass availability alone. Sad but true.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by wyoelk
Give me a .270 and Partitions and I'll show you dead elk until you're sick of looking at dead elk.

It's always been the Indian, not the arrow.

Pretty hard to argue with this.

The 300 Weatherby is no doubt a great elk cartridge. But today the world is so full of great elk cartridges you can't keep up with them all.

Personally I'd rather have a 7mm Mashburn. It kicks less.

Bob, my 300 B is in a Blaser R8, 8.5 lbs scoped. I don't know what it is--it certainly kicks but doesn't seem excessive to me at all. Maybe it was all those years of lighting the 340's fire. 😳 😀

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I had a couple Ultra's.. With a 28.5 in barrel they were something.. With a shorter barrel, I am not so sure..

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
If your not picky about brand I have never seen any shortage of 30 cal magnum brass. At least as it pertains to 300 wsm, 300 win mag, 300 Weatherby or 300 ultra.

Page 9 of 70 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 69 70

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
90 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,556 guests, and 779 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,764
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.