Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Magnum_Man
Women are usually easy to teach to shoot well because if you are sincere with them while coaching them they do what they are supposed too, unlike guys like you who think they are a Daniel Boone descendant and know everything.

Firearms trainer extraordinaire Pat Rogers says exactly that in this month's issue of SWAT.

BP-B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by BuckeyeSpecial
A Girl, An Elk, A 243 Win/105VLD and 688yds makes elk steaks [Re: TBaker5390]
BuckeyeSpecial Online content
Campfire Regular

TB Baker et al:

I am joining AlabamaEd on this one....

A very experienced shooter was the one to attempt this shot, and to determine the yardage, set the scope, dope the wind...all by herself. BUT....

While Mr. Burns, the guide, did an admirable job, the shooter didn't determine yardage, or set the scope on her own calculation, or dope the wind, and what did she learn to be able to consistently do a shot like this again, or even 80% of the time?

No mention from the guide, either, on practicing this 300-400 rounds or so, before trying it in the field.

While that 105 VLD did it this time, it ain't much of a bullet statistically out of a 243 at near 800 [error 700]yards to do it 10 times out of 10, or even 5 times out of 10 in a very experienced hand with those yardages and wind conditions.

Read what Greg Rodriguez of Shooting Times magazine has to say of this type of shooting, with far larger calibers than the .243. And, he never met AlabamaEd.
+3 AlabamaEd.

I posted this elsewhere on the 24CF, and I am re-posting it on the Long Range Forum as some of the readers here may benefit. The video is at at the Hunting Rifles thread re the title above. Falls under the category : If it happens one time, it doesn't mean it happens most of the time

I admire your determination, you are definately determined to make sure that everyone knows that you re an idiot

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by Ringman
I posted this to see if any of the readers can be introduced to learning....to consider the downside of long range hunting.

What is the downside of long range hunting? Again I am really curious.

A lot thinner wallet. This stuff's addictive.

Ain't that the truth. If your wallet isn't thinner, you're not trying hard enough.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by gunnut308
From one 7 year old to another�� whistle

[Linked Image]

That's pretty funny! Best response I've seen to this so far!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Women are usually easy to teach to shoot well because if you are sincere with them while coaching them they do what they are supposed too, unlike guys like you who think they are a Daniel Boone descendant and know everything.

Firearms trainer extraordinaire Pat Rogers says exactly that in this month's issue of SWAT.

Take a knee, I don't read SWAT and don't ever remember mentoring Pat Rogers in the past 35 years but he sounds like a guy to listen too.. LOL besides sounding good, its pretty much true. Magnum Man

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jwp475
A Girl, An Elk, A 243 Win/105VLD and 688yds makes elk steaks [Re: TBaker5390]
BuckeyeSpecial Online content
Campfire Regular

TB Baker et al:

I am joining AlabamaEd on this one....

A very experienced shooter was the one to attempt this shot, and to determine the yardage, set the scope, dope the wind...all by herself. BUT....

While Mr. Burns, the guide, did an admirable job, the shooter didn't determine yardage, or set the scope on her own calculation, or dope the wind, and what did she learn to be able to consistently do a shot like this again, or even 80% of the time?

No mention from the guide, either, on practicing this 300-400 rounds or so, before trying it in the field.

While that 105 VLD did it this time, it ain't much of a bullet statistically out of a 243 at near 800 [error 700]yards to do it 10 times out of 10, or even 5 times out of 10 in a very experienced hand with those yardages and wind conditions.

Read what Greg Rodriguez of Shooting Times magazine has to say of this type of shooting, with far larger calibers than the .243. And, he never met AlabamaEd.
+3 AlabamaEd.

I posted this elsewhere on the 24CF, and I am re-posting it on the Long Range Forum as some of the readers here may benefit. The video is at at the Hunting Rifles thread re the title above. Falls under the category : If it happens one time, it doesn't mean it happens most of the time

I admire your determination, you are definately determined to make sure that everyone knows that you re an idiot

laugh

Good one.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gunnut308
I think Buckeye woke up on the wrong end of the condom blush

grin

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Liberals don't like it when everybody else doesn't fall inline with what they think and drink their koolaid.Buckeye your exhibiting classic liberal behavior.Everybody has an opinion and an [bleep].If you want to vent your opinion and get people drinking your koolaid try not showing them your [bleep] at the same time.There isn't a doubt to me from what I've read on this thread and John Burns post that the girls shot on the elk irritates you to no end because you couldn't do it in a million years. Your mindset and lack of ability to consider the positive outcome of making a shot like this would keep you from ever even trying. Even if you had John Burns or anyone else with his abilities at your elbow and disposal.Women are usually easy to teach to shoot well because if you are sincere with them while coaching them they do what they are supposed too, unlike guys like you who think they are a Daniel Boone descendant and know everything.This is still America and we still have personal freedom to choose what we are going to do and that gal did, get over it.You should just
read at the fire for awhile now cause your credibility as a good member is hurting and you are just digging in deeper by the minute. Remember you solicited the opinions . Magnum Man

Classic liberal behavior ? WTF does that mean and what does it have to do with this clowns take on long range hunting? He has a position on the subject and won't let it go but has nothing to do with liberalism.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Hey Guys:

Read all of the posts here; some interesting comments. Even one on my [alleged] decline in "credibility" on 24CF; c'mon, its an internet forum! (Not a savings and loan)

No one has promoted any limits on long range shots; I was hoping at least one person would suggest the limit is where hunting bullets don't reliably expand for a given caliber and quote that in FPS, maybe for the .243 and even other calibers.

Alas, no.... As an American, you can legally take the longest shot you are inclined to.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I was hoping at least one person would suggest the limit is where hunting bullets don't reliably expand for a given caliber and quote that in FPS, maybe for the .243 and even other calibers.

Alas, no.... As an American, you can legally take the longest shot you are inclined to.

Well Dumphuck,

In the state of Wyoming where Burns' friend took her elk, a .243 IS legal.

You are a stone, cold IDIOT.

And by your last comment, a Fascist prick as well..

Last edited by jim62; 12/08/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So someone wants a limit? It is at the limit when the bullet hits the hide of the game and the bullet falls to the ground without penetrating showing a loss of effective momentum. That is caliber limitation.

As to shooter limitation, that's something else, but I would suggest if you can hit it, its a viable target. Shooter limit generally comes way before the caliber limit, I would venture, of any of the modern ammunition choices.

Now no matter, I do not see any of this can reflect any one person's political leanings, but it sure can bring out the dumbazz in some.

No fear, no doubt, all in, balls out.

"America"
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Hey Guys:

Read all of the posts here; some interesting comments. Even one on my [alleged] decline in "credibility" on 24CF; c'mon, its an internet forum! (Not a savings and loan)

No one has promoted any limits on long range shots; I was hoping at least one person would suggest the limit is where hunting bullets don't reliably expand for a given caliber and quote that in FPS, maybe for the .243 and even other calibers.

Limit my ass, I know people that have killed Elk at over twice that distance and the wound channel definitely indicated expansion

Your dumbfucktitude knows no bounds

Oh yes, you have zero credibility

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I guess it was not enough to clog up one thread, he had the need to make another.

I find it tough to believe someone wants to keep demanding the need for a scientific/statistical confirmation of something that can be experienced first hand.

An educated and prepared hunter is just that, range does not matter. I dont care if you are at 1200yards in a 30mph wind or shaking like a leaf off hand at 50yards, if you cannot make the shot with reasonable certainty dont take it.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
473 members (1Longbow, 160user, 30378, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 44 invisible), 2,188 guests, and 1,001 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,160
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.