Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Shown below is a new March scope designed for the FClass and long range BR shooters. A friend[Stuart Elliott] of Australia worked with March on this new 5x-40x FFP scope. It will be introduced at the Shot Show this year.

[Linked Image]

You can visit Stuart's website for a lot of goodies and some videos. Go to www.benchrest.com.au and click on the BRT shop.

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Details Butch?

Wonder why they limited the magnification to 40X? There are days when 50+ will work.

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
They make a 6-60 and an 8-80 also. Stuart just sent the photo and said he would stay with us on the way to the Shot Show as he was checking with some of his other suppliers. I will send him an email and ask.

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I will have additional photos and info tomorrow.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I'm now considering a new scope for my FTR rifle. Either a Nightforce or a March, but the price differential is substantial. Does anyone know what the lead time is for a March scope?

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Info from Stuart Elliott
Hi Butch,
Well this scope is first focal plane. Where the design allows the reticle to increase in magnification. Has many advantages for Tactical, Military and Hunters. Not a lot of use for target shooters. Because the spacings between each of the graduations on the reticle remain the same distance apart regardless of what magnification you choose it is useful for two reasons. You can use it for ranging if the height of the man or the animal is known. For example the average man is just under 2 metres so if his height fits between 2 Mil Rad on the reticle he is 1,000 metres away. Etc, etc. But the most useful part is the trajectory drop points. So if I calculate my trajectory to say 1,000 yards, zero the rifle at say 200 and I work out exactly each distance downrange that my bullet will coincide with the graduated reticle I can draw a simple long range trajectory or drop chart which relates to that reticle. So, 100 yards might be just above the centre dot, 300 yards at 2.3, 400 yards at 3.8, 500 yards at 5.3 etc.
Now when I go shoot at something it does not matter what magnification I choose to use. That drop chart remains identical for any magnification. Which is very handy for long range hunting etc.

The 5x-40x is by far the biggest magnification FFP scope in the world. Schmidt & Bender have a 5x-25x for example. In fact this scope is our competition.
There will be many people who are FFP fans that will complain that 40x is too much. Until they use it. Even if they never shoot at 40x they will use it as a spotting scope.

There are some people who will use this scope for targets. Many the people who are just big fans of FFP will want it. 40x is enough for F class or most long range shooting. There is one other slight advantage of FFP. That is the the point of aim does not change over the entire zoom range. Whereas 2nd focal plane scopes which are variable magnification do change POA when you zoom. It is minimal but the industry standard is 1/2 MOA. In practice this does not matter. If an F class shooter chooses to shoot one target on his Nightforce at 42x and the next at 30x there will be a slight POA difference. As long as he he does not change the magnification during the course of shooting one target it will not be a problem for him.

Attached are some photos I took on the weekend of the prototype scope I am testing. This is the model which I suggested should be built. Kelbly originally did not want it as they though it was way too big. But I pushed and I got Turk Tukano to support me and DEON said they would build it and send a prototype to me and Turk. Now it will be officially released at the Shot Show in Vegas.

BTW, I am going to the shot show. Will be a quick short trip. 5 days. Are you going?

Stuart

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Butch,
I just added some text to these reticle pictures. I still cannot post on that forum so if you want to post them go right ahead. Just explain that the picture are indicative only, not perfect as they were just snapped with a phone camera. The blur on the edges is not the scope. I have other photos that are not blurred at the edges but are overall worse photos. The object of these photos is to illustrate how the FFP reticle works. The spacings between each graduation remains the same at any magnification.

Many thanks,
Stuart.
ps. BTW, I am in need of more rest tops if you have any.

Maybe Stuart is suggesting that this scope may not be the best March scope for competition. Kelbys are the US distributors of the March. They probably have pricing on the website.
Butch

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I was not considering an FFP for my needs. I was just asking in general about March scopes and people's experiences with lead time.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
FFP really is a good overall way to fly if you can afford it. Makes the scope versatile in use.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Maybe Stuart is suggesting that this scope may not be the best March scope for competition...

First off, thanks for the info Butch! Wonder what the scope weights?

In my case I use the ticks in my Nightforce scope to guesstimate how much correction to dial in for both windage and elevation on my sighter shots. while the value is correct at 22X the majority of time I'm shooting with the power cranked up on 42X which makes the value of the tick marks almost half. Some dummy keeps forgetting that the windage is 2.5MOA, not 1MOA as is the elevation. So said dummy is only dialing in only half the value of windage that's actually needed. That doesn't work well when only two sighter shots are the rule... blush

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Go to http://www.deon.co.jp/march/top.htm This has all specs except the FFP scopes. I'll try to get Stuart to comment. Remember there is a 14hr time difference. It is 2:30am tomorrow in OZ at this time.

Last edited by butchlambert1; 12/09/11.
IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by rost495
FFP really is a good overall way to fly if you can afford it. Makes the scope versatile in use.

For most purposes, I agree. But I am looking at a high magnification scope for competition.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Don't know that I was gettin after you, just reaffirming the use for posters reading this thread.

I"m aware you would use it for comp and probably never in a field match or hunting etc.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

415 members (10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 163bc, 35 invisible), 2,577 guests, and 1,021 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,824
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.