Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 26 of 70 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 69 70
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Dang those NF bullets are spendy!

I don't mind spending extra money on bullets, but when they go for twice the price of a box of Partitions of Accubonds, I don't see any reason to experiment.

“Spendy” is relative but I understand where you are coming from. I look at it differently.

Many times I’ve compared the difference in cost of bullets shot at game during the year and found that, after filling my antelope tag, my deer tag and two elk tags, it would take several years of similar success with Ballistic Tip/Partition/TTSX/take-your-pick bullets to save enough money to buy a cheap class of wine with my dinner out. (This with handloaded ammo for all bullet types considered.)

The most expensive part is load development but after that I develop loads with less expensive bullets that closely match the trajectory of the North Forks. Those cheaper loads get used for practice right up to the last range session or two before hunting season – and even then the North Forks get used sparingly. Used this way a box of 50 will last several years. (I actually do substitutions for most of my hunting loads – BT or SST for AB, etc.)

North Fork bullets have produced extremely accurate and consistent loads in my rifles. My then 20-year old Ruger M77 turned it its best group ever when I switched to North Fork bullets, 3 in .262” at 100 yards during a pre-season scope check. I don’t need that kind of accuracy for hunting but I’ll take it. More importantly, North Fork bullets have always performed as desired, providing excellent accuracy, reliable but limited expansion and deep, straight-line penetration. Most importantly, animals have gone down very quickly when I have done my part.

The cost of 7mm RM 160g handloaded North Fork ammo is comparable to many factory hunting loads from the likes of Remington, Winchester, Federal, Hornady, Barnes, Nosler, etc. It is MUCH less expensive than some offerings by these companies. North Fork has occasional sales and if you take advantage the cost delta often comes down to about $0.50 per bullet, even when comparing handloaded ammo. Assuming scope checks at 100, 400, 500 and 600 and say 5 more in the field (antelope, deer and two elk), call it 20 rounds fired, maybe $33 sent downrange. Compare that to fuel costs, processing, food, lodging/campsite fees, license and other miscellaneous costs for an antelope and elk/deer hunt and the difference in bullet costs is in the 1% range.

Given that it is all up to the bullet once the sear breaks, an extra $0.50 per bullet for a bullet that consistently performs as desired is anything but “spendy”.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
BP-B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I would give NF'S a try, but they have the aerodynamics of a brick.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm familiar with the arguments for buying expensive bullets. It makes sense when comparing Core Lokts to Partitions. But with all the good bullets out there selling for $30-$40 per 50, I would have a hard time spending $70-$80.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
It's worth noting that Shrapnel likes the BT and AB out of his 300 Weatherby. He's also shot a ton of elk.

Last edited by BWalker; 04/11/16.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by BWalker
I would give NF'S a try, but they have the aerodynamics of a brick.

Why would their aerodynamics prevent you from trying these? They are premium "hunting" bullets designed for use on large and/or tough game, not target bullets. Are you a hunter or long range target shooter? Or do you subscribe to the "if I can see it I can hit it" way of hunting that's so in style these days?
I can tell you from firsthand experience they fly more than well enough to hit mule deer and elk just where I intended clear out to 400yds. That's good enough for me.
If another has killed a ton of elk with BTs and Accubombs then good for him. I'll pass, been there done that and don't intend to try them again.

Last edited by John55; 04/11/16.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by John55
All I can say about them is they've been superlative in every thing I want in a large game bullet. A bit spendy but compared to the overall cost of a hunt they're insignificant.

Common sense....

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I am open to shooting an elk out to 600 yards although I prefer not to shoot them at that distance. I also prefer not to use a bullet that sheds velocity needlessly fast, which a NF certainly does.
I would suggest that if you have problems killing elk with a BT or a AB a North Fork isn't going to help you.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
No problems killing anything, just don't like the bullets. I used them on deer, can't say I was impressed with either of them. Shooting thru both shoulders on elk from 300+ yards and exiting tells me the NF didn't lose enough velocity to matter. And that was from a 30/06. From a 300Wby they've done it from 400yds. You should try some of these under actual hunting situations, you might like them😉

Last edited by John55; 04/11/16.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
At 300 yards a North Fork from a 300 weatherby will have less velocity than a BT fired from a 300 short mag. And it keeps getting worse from there.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
So what? Most elk are typically shot from well under 250yds. If they will exit from shoulder shots at 400 what more does the average guy need? And if you try breaking shoulders up close they work without blowing up. Might want to try that shot with your Accubombs some time😜

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I wouldnt hesitate to use that shot with a BT, let alone a AB. In fact I have many times.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by John55
So what? Most elk are typically shot from well under 250yds. If they will exit from shoulder shots at 400 what more does the average guy need? And if you try breaking shoulders up close they work without blowing up. Might want to try that shot with your Accubombs some time😜

I shot a bull through the shoulders with 160 "Accubombs" in a 7STW. The bullet didn't exit but performed just fine.

I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The bottom line is elk are not that hard to kill. Some guys want to make it alot more complicated than it really is. Heck, I wouldn't be too bothered nor hamstrung by having to use Sierra Game kings the rest of my hunting career.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The bottom line is elk are not that hard to kill. Some guys want to make it alot more complicated than it really is. Heck, I wouldn't be too bothered nor hamstrung by having to use Sierra Game kings the rest of my hunting career.

My buddies and I use 250gr. sierra gamekings in our 338 win mags. They work just fine..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Didn't imagine they would bounce off..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am open to shooting an elk out to 600 yards although I prefer not to shoot them at that distance. I also prefer not to use a bullet that sheds velocity needlessly fast, which a NF certainly does.
I would suggest that if you have problems killing elk with a BT or a AB a North Fork isn't going to help you.

I would suggest that if a North Fork won't work for someone at 600 yards they shouldn't be reaching that far regardless of the bullet used.

While it is true that the NF bullets don't have the high B.C. values some other bullets have, my 140g and 160g 7mm RM, 165g .30-06 and 180g .300WM NF loads all have more energy at 500 yards than many .30-30 loads have at 100 yards. Considering I've been elk hunting since 1982, have taken 14 elk since 2000 and have never taken a shot past 487 yards (with all the rest at 400 and under), I haven't found the North Fork B.C. values to be a limiting factor.

In contrast, I use AB and TTSX quite a bit and can't point to a case where their higher B.C. values have made any difference.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The issue is why have a bullet that sheds energy needlessly when modern alternatives that work just as well exist and cost less too boot?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

That would depend on the Game King for me. I know that the .277/150 won't make it through a mule deer if the offside shoulder is hit. To me that rules them out as an "all around" elk bullet. That said, the Federal load will shoot .5" in my 700 mountain rifle, so I can't say I will never try them on elk.

The heavier ones might be stouter.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I might be a little more choose as to shot placement as I went down in diameter and bullet weight.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I might be a little more choose as to shot placement as I went down in diameter and bullet weight.

That wouldn't be a bad idea. IIRC, Craig Boddington liked the .308/200 in .300 magnums for larger critters. I'll probably never find out, as the 200 gr Accubond does everything I ask in my .300 WBY.

Might try the .277/150 out on black bear this spring though.

Page 26 of 70 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 69 70

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
700 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 75 invisible), 3,099 guests, and 1,436 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,604
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.