Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 38 of 70 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 69 70
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I believe you Bob. I can tell you don't care by the number of heartfelt posts you've made saying so.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
To answer the OP question - No, there isn't anything better.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Like Bob, I don't give a fig what other people choose.

And like Bob, you post the most long-winded rebuttals when someone else expresses a different point of view; what a coincidence.

Here's another coincidence--the two guys I've known who've killed the most animals and by the way, did it for a living, both shoot (or shot in one case) "target bullets."

But you guys do crack me up. If it really "didn't matter" to you, you wouldn't have extended this inane thread another few pages. And you can insert all the disclaimers you want, but it obviously does matter to both of you--when you go out of your way to post lengthy explanations of the superiority of your own choices you are unavoidably commenting on the choices of others. Especially when you're pointing out the negatives of the other choices, it becomes fairly transparent.

You just choose to go about it in a passive aggressive kind of way.

You really don’t get it, do you?

I don’t think Bob cares what other people choose to do and I certainly don’t. Their choices don’t have any impact on me or mine. What you fail to understand is that giving advice is very different than insisting others agree with and accept that advice or caring if people ignore it. People ignore my advice all the time, on both personal and professional levels. Their choice and they, not me, have to live with the consequences. I’m happy either way.

You also don’t seem to get the difference between a person a) offering advice and providing rational reasons for it, solicited or not, and b) defending their personal choices when someone else insists they know better than that person what choices that person should make. Bwalker insists I give up B.C. “needlessly” when using North Fork bullets but that insistence is based on his priorities not mine. Further, he had no idea that many of the North Fork bullets I use are of a higher B.C. type (HP) than he was familiar with and when he insisted they were “spendy” he had no idea that the majority of North Fork bullets I have received over the years were free. In other words, his conclusions and claims were based in ignorance of the facts. By his own reasoning, however, the BT bullets he advocates are “spendy” compared to other options that would work just as well in most cases and he is “needlessly” giving up a higher B.C. by not choosing other bullets. That said, what he or others ultimately decide is beyond both my control and my caring.

This is probably another post that is too long for your taste yet for some reason you read them anyway. I don’t care about that either but it isn’t the choice I would make.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Yes, I do. People who don't care don't keep posting the same thing over and over on a thread that surpassed its useful life a few weeks ago.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yes, I do. People who don't care don't keep posting the same thing over and over on a thread that surpassed its useful life a few weeks ago.

Like you?

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Good one. Add up all the words posted on this thread by you, and by me. If I get close to 10%, let me know.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was referring to the caring part, not the word cound.

I'm beginning to think I own part of your brain.

you...must...read...coyote...hunter's...posts...

[laughing]

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 05/05/16.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That's the sad part, I don't have to read them to know what they're going to say. What they say is nicely captured by the rest of this post, below the line:

-------------------------------------------------------------

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hook, line and sinker.

[and still laughing]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Best post yet, but it could use a few pages of ballistics tables.

And some photos of a lifetime supply of bullets.

That fit in one small box.....

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Best post yet, but it could use a few pages of ballistics tables.

And some photos of a lifetime supply of bullets.

That fit in one small box.....

Not a lifetime supply of bullets, just a lifetime supply of those particular bullets -but that seems to have gone over your head.

With about 135 in the box and another 80 to 100 loaded up, and given that I also use AccuBonds and TTSX in the same rifles, it is highly doubtful I'll ever shoot enough of the 7mm 140g HP to use them up.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well then, you'd best stock up on powder. If you're planning on loading all 135, that's gonna take well over a whole pound!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well then, you'd best stock up on powder. If you're planning on loading all 135, that's gonna take well over a whole pound!!!

I'm going to take an educated guess that I have about 80 pounds of powder on hand with about 10,000 Large Rifle and Large Rifle Magnum primers That should cover it.

But thanks for your concern.

[LMAO]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That's awesome. Love reading your posts, they are almost hypnotic. All of them.

Can you please post up some more ballistics tables?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's awesome. Love reading your posts, they are almost hypnotic. All of them.

Can you please post up some more ballistics tables?

No, but it looks like I owe you an apology - I was a little off on my educated guesses. I estimated 100 loaded rounds of NF 7mm 140g HP, 80 pounds of powder and 10,000 large rifle and Large Rifle Magnum primers. When I got home I decided to do a photo inventory with my cell phone because the numbers don't change very fast and I frequently find myself wondering just what I have on hand when at local gun stores and shows.

My estimate was a bit low on all counts. Here are the real numbers:

130 loaded NF 7mm 140g bullets (42 in .280 Rem, 88 in 7mm RM)
10,400+ Large Rifle and Large Rifle Magnum primers
84-85 pounds of powder is my current best guess (Most of the cannisters are full or very nearly so except the 1pound Varget.)

[Linked Image]

After careful review I do believe I have enough powder and primers to load the remaining 135 or so NF 7mm 140g bullets but I do thank you for bringing the question to my attention. Next time I go to buy additional supplies I can look on my cell phone to see what I need.

[still LMAO]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That is even more awesome!!

Those are aome sick organizational skills! I like how you have them all lined up neat like that. Shows real attention to detail, and that's important. Makes it kinda hard to make a bank shot though doesn't it?

Could you post up some photos of your brass now? I'm worried that with all that powder and all those bullets, you'll run out of brass.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nope, too much work.

Suffice it to say I have lifetime supplies of brass for almost every firearm I have. As in 400-2000 pieces with a couple of exceptions such as .308 Win. But I'm working on them.

[still LMAO]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The thing about target bullets, is that they tend to be very accurate- more so than "hunting" bullets.

The thing about being very accurate, is that it really helps at longer ranges.

Same is true with higher BC's.

Some target bullets have both high BC's AND are very accurate.

A subset of those are perfectly fine for LR hunting, where impact velocities tend to be low. As a side note, many hunting bullets do not do well at lower speeds and are thus a poor choice even if they had the accuracy and high BC... ..... Anyway, which target bullets are appropriate to include in that subset has been the result of folks simply trying them.

Nothing in that says you load your rifle with target bullets for closer-range stuff.

To my knowledge the bullet does not exist that is ideal for both long range elk killing and short range elk killing. Companies keep trying... the new Hornady offering (BC similar to Amax but with controlled expansion) is the latest I've heard. It's unlikely to be as accurate as a pure target bullet, but, that remains to be seen.

Speaking strictly for myself the advantages of extreme accuracy and high BC are very, very tangible at longer ranges. YMMV I suppose.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
The thing about target bullets, is that they tend to be very accurate- more so than "hunting" bullets.

The thing about being very accurate, is that it really helps at longer ranges.

Same is true with higher BC's.

Some target bullets have both high BC's AND are very accurate.

A subset of those are perfectly fine for LR hunting, where impact velocities tend to be low. As a side note, many hunting bullets do not do well at lower speeds and are thus a poor choice even if they had the accuracy and high BC... ..... Anyway, which target bullets are appropriate to include in that subset has been the result of folks simply trying them.

Nothing in that says you load your rifle with target bullets for closer-range stuff.

To my knowledge the bullet does not exist that is ideal for both long range elk killing and short range elk killing. Companies keep trying... the new Hornady offering (BC similar to Amax but with controlled expansion) is the latest I've heard. It's unlikely to be as accurate as a pure target bullet, but, that remains to be seen.

Speaking strictly for myself the advantages of extreme accuracy and high BC are very, very tangible at longer ranges. YMMV I suppose.

Nosler Accubonds are about as perfect a big game bullet as has been invented. They will punch through shoulders and have a good enough BC to hit elk out to where 99% of us shouldn't be shooting.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bellydeep

Nosler Accubonds are about as perfect a big game bullet as has been invented. They will punch through shoulders and have a good enough BC to hit elk out to where 99% of us shouldn't be shooting.

Given the amount of pathetic shooting I've seen in the field and at the range, I'd say that the vast majority of hunters shouldn't be shooting past 300 yards and even that is too far for many. In any case, my hunting buddy and I don't have any problem with 'bricks' like the Speer Grand Slam and Forth Fork SS out to 600 yards at the range and 411 yards on game. I've been using them since the early 1980's and, since they don't have any, neither I nor anyone in my party has ever had a tip fall off. Can't say the same for tipped bullets, nor do you have to search hard to find stories from others of AB tips coming off.

As to punching through shoulders, I know 'brick-like' Grand Slams can do it as the first one I ever recovered (after about 20 years of using them) had punched through both shoulder joints of a 5x5 bull at about 110 yards. The only other one my buddy and I have ever recovered took down my 6x6 bull at 411 yards last year. It was recovered under the hide on the off side after breaking multiple ribs on a quartering away shot. Retained weights were 71.1% and 77.8% respectively.

[Linked Image]

While I use a lot of AccuBonds, B.C. isn't the primary property I look for. And while I consider them better than cup-and-core bullets, including the BT, I do not consider them the equivalent of Barnes TTSX, Trophy Bonded Tip or North Fork SS when it comes to larger game, particularly in the smaller calibers and weights. That said, I really like the 225g AB in my .338WM for elk where the higher B.C. helps make up for a lower MV. Every one I've fired at elk, with 487 yards the longest, has exited the far side but none hit the shoulder. The one 150g AB I used on elk did not exit on a neck shot. That remains a sample of one but, considering it took me 20 years of exclusive use to recover a Grand Slam, I consider it a poor beginning.

Page 38 of 70 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 69 70

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

396 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1minute, 16penny, 12savage, 45 invisible), 2,805 guests, and 1,107 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,580
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.