Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 54 of 70 1 2 52 53 54 55 56 69 70
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have owned the 300 wsm, 300 saum, 300 win, 300 wtby, and the 300 Ultra. I like the ULTRA the best followed by the Win mag. However, there isn't one that will do something the others wont also do.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
A lot of it depends on personal preferences and how you choose to hunt. For example if you backpack in the mountains, want a light rifle, and don't want a brake, it's not the ideal chambering.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
The .300 WBY may be the best for some but it is definitely sub-par for others. Daughter #1 is rather petite and hates recoil. When it came time to choose a big game rifle for her we went with a .308 Win. For antelope she will be shooting 130g TTSX this year and may use those for elk, as she did last year. While 'd like to see her get up into the 150-168g range with AccuBonds or TTSX respectively I don't know if that is going to happen. Guess we'll find out when we get to the range this summer. In any case, getting her up to a .300 WBY is a non-starter - the best we would do is get her up to a downloaded .300 WBY and what's the point of that when a maxed-out .308 Win is above her comfort level?

There are also a lot of people who shoot factory ammunition and for whom ammunition cost is a big factor. For many of them a .30-06 is a better choice just due to ammunition costs. When I purchased a rifle as a wedding present for my first son-in-law the first thing Daughter #2 asked me was whether he would be able to afford to shoot it. She was much relieved when I told her it was a .30-06. When Daughter #1` got married, guess what her husband got? Yup, a .30-06. I am hoping Daughter #3 will get married late this year or early next year, in which case her intended will also get a .30-06 rifle as a wedding present. None of my daughters or their men reload, nor do I expect them to take it up as their interests lie elsewhere. Relatively inexpensive factory ammo, whether for practice or hunting, is more important to them than extra range they are not prepared to use - and more so if that extra range comes with additional recoil that isn't necessary or is above their comfort level.

In my case, while a .300 WBY would be a fine choice for elk, would it be the "best"? Would it mean an otherwise unnecessary purchase of a new set of dies and brass? Yes. Would it mean dealing with increased recoil? In most cases, yes. Would it most likely mean carrying around a heavier, longer rifle? Yes. Would it actually do something that my other rifles can't do? Probably not. If hard hitting and flatter trajectory were my primary concerns I'd probably jump to a .26, .28 or .30 Nosler instead.

Arguments about what is "best" tend to ignore that "best" is a qualitative measure based on a specific set of criteria - and that the criteria against which "best" is judged varies from person to person. There is no universal "best".

Nice red herring. The question is what is best for elk, not what is best for women hunters or men too cheap to buy new reloading dies.

Playing to the lowest common denominator does not answer the question.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The problem with these ridiculous cartridge comparison threads is every one wants to focus on their own subjective requirements instead of trying to be the least bit objective about it.

You know the drill..."kicks too much for me"....."rifle is too light (too heavy) for me"...."fine for some folks not for me"...."I can't shoot it so neither can anyone else"...blah blah blah

Horseshidt....you got issues, that's your problem. Doesn't apply to anyone else and has nothing to do with the capability of the user. Surprise surprise but in the objective scheme of things....guess what?

You don't matter to anyone but yourself when it comes to evaluating a cartridge. You abilities (or lack thereof) have nothing to do with the cartridge's performance. laugh

YOU are the monkey wrench in the gear works.....not the cartridge.

I've used the 300 Weatherby, Winchester, and H&H magnum for hunting,hand loaded all three extensively. Far as I am concerned there's not a dimes worth of difference and they are as alike as three babies under a blanket. whistle

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by BobinNH
The problem with these ridiculous cartridge comparison threads is.......

....that there is no one "best" cartridge, be it for elk, mule deer, or rhinoceros.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brad
when it comes to serious elk hunting I grab the 300 WBY as anything less is not enough of too much and any more is too much of not enough...

You and Donald Rumsfeld must be related grin

Is "serious" elk hunting done with a big frown?

When you feel lucky, introduce yourself at the next gun show and if you can be decent, I may shake your hand, but act like you do here on the campfire and I may just slap you more senseless than you already are...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I love this place. Never had a 300 wby but figure it would kill the hell out of elk.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
when it comes to serious elk hunting I grab the 300 WBY as anything less is not enough of too much and any more is too much of not enough...

You and Donald Rumsfeld must be related grin

Is "serious" elk hunting done with a big frown?

When you feel lucky, introduce yourself at the next gun show and if you can be decent, I may shake your hand, but act like you do here on the campfire and I may just slap you more senseless than you already are...

Lighten up Francis, it's all in good fun. No need to take yourself so seriously!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Lighten up Francis, it's all in good fun. No need to take yourself so seriously!

The offer stands...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

The offer stands...

Which offer? To "shake my hand" or "slap me senseless."

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bellydeep
The .300 WBY may be the best for some but it is definitely sub-par for others. ...

Nice red herring. The question is what is best for elk, not what is best for women hunters or men too cheap to buy new reloading dies.

Apparently you don't even know what a red herring is. "Best" is a very subjective, qualitative judgment of an item's ability to meet certain criteria. In this case the item is a .300 Weatherby rifle and the task is killing elk. Just because one person might consider the .300 Weatherby the "best" choice for that task does not mean that others will concur. Nor does this disagreement imply that anyone is wrong. If you take the hunter (and the person that determines what is "best" for themselves) out of the picture all you have is an unused rifle. There is no universal "best" - a concept, it seems, that you fail to grasp.

What I did was provide a few common criteria that someone might apply when choosing what is "best" for themselves. These are not red herrings but rather the real life concerns and criteria of real life people - concerns that apply to millions of hunters.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The .300 WBY may be the best for some but it is definitely sub-par for others. ...

Apparently you don't even know what a red herring is. "Best" is a very subjective, qualitative judgment of an item's ability to meet certain criteria. In this case the item is a .300 Weatherby rifle and the task is killing elk. Just because one person might consider the .300 Weatherby the "best" choice for that task does not mean that others will concur. Nor does this disagreement imply that anyone is wrong. If you take the hunter (and the person that determines what is "best" for themselves) out of the picture all you have is an unused rifle. There is no universal "best" - a concept, it seems, that you fail to grasp.

What I did was provide a few common criteria that someone might apply when choosing what is "best" for themselves. These are not red herrings but rather the real life concerns and criteria of real life people - concerns that apply to millions of hunters.

Yeah I guess it was more of a strawman. In any event, the criteria is not women and cheap men, it's elk.

Keep pluggin along though. You're daily word count has fallen way off!

BTW the BC on those light Barnes you load for your daughter are really sucky. Not good for hunting elk AT ALL!

You should re-read your sniper books!

I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yeah I guess it was more of a strawman. In any event, the criteria is not women and cheap men, it's elk.

BTW the BC on those light Barnes you load for your daughter are really sucky. Not good for hunting elk AT ALL!

It wasn't a straw man argument either. This is the "Elk Hunting" forum, not the "Elk Killing" forum. Every .300 Weatherby rifle I've ever seen was designed to be wielded and fired by a single individual - the hunter. If you remove the hunter element, including their unique capabilities, limitations, needs, wants and cost considerations, you are no longer talking about hunting but simply whether or not the .300 Weatherby is the best tool ever devised for killing elk at a distance. The answer to that question is an obvious and resounding "NO" to anyone with a modicum of imagination. A nuke detonated a few miles up in the atmosphere would wipe out not only one elk or one herd but potentially many herds and thousands of elk. Try that with a .300 Weatherby and a box of ammo.

The OP claimed " High but manageable recoil" for the .300 Weatherby. For him or her, maybe - for others it is way too high. The OP also asked " If you were on a trophy hunt for big bulls, could you really come up with a better choice?" If a hunter can't handle the recoil, as many cannot, there are many choices that would be better for those individuals.

My hunting buddy of nearly a couple of decades is so crippled up from diabetes, even after shoulder surgery, he can barely lift his arms to shoulder height and recoil is a significant problem due to the pain it causes. Moreover he has limited physical stamina so minimizing weight is important. If he was choosing a rifle for " a trophy hunt for big bulls", a .300 Weatherby would be a poor choice for him.

The B.C. for the 130g TTSX .308 bullets (.350) is more than adequate for the ranges at which my daughter should be shooting and she shoots them well. If she proves over the summer that she can handle she can handle a 150g BT or AccuBond load we'll move her up to that. If not, I'm not worried about her using the 130g TTSX.

As to the sniper book, the stores in Meeker don't have much of a selection and it seemed (and was) much better than the alternatives. The author was a British sniper in Iraq and the book dealt his experiences there including a lot of stuff I found interesting that had nothing whatsoever to do with snipers or sniping. I'm sure you would have picked one of the many romance novels available on the store racks instead.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Once again, a 'Fire thread has followed the laws of physics and moved from a state of order (forced) to one of disorder or released energy. If physical laws do apply here then re the Second Law of Thermodynamics, the first post reflects a state of instability and the resultant thread then seeks a point of stability or equilibrium.

Pertinent to the original question, this means that there is no answer that would name another specific cartridge. Naming one would introduce another state of in instability; however, the laws of physics would accept the answer, ✍ "both yes and no."

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Once again, a 'Fire thread has followed the laws of physics and moved from a state of order (forced) to one of disorder or released energy. If physical laws do apply here then re the Second Law of Thermodynamics, the first post reflects a state of instability and the resultant thread then seeks a point of stability or equilibrium.

Pertinent to the original question, this means that there is no answer that would name another specific cartridge. Naming one would introduce another state of in instability; however, the laws of physics would accept the answer, ✍ "both yes and no."

Man, am I ever glad you cleared that up.
Thanks George.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

It wasn't a straw man argument either. This is the "Elk Hunting" forum, not the "Elk Killing" forum. Every .300 Weatherby rifle I've ever seen was designed to be wielded and fired by a single individual - the hunter. If you remove the hunter element, including their unique capabilities, limitations, needs, wants and cost considerations, you are no longer talking about hunting but simply whether or not the .300 Weatherby is the best tool ever devised for killing elk at a distance. The answer to that question is an obvious and resounding "NO" to anyone with a modicum of imagination. A nuke detonated a few miles up in the atmosphere would wipe out not only one elk or one herd but potentially many herds and thousands of elk. Try that with a .300 Weatherby and a box of ammo.

The OP claimed " High but manageable recoil" for the .300 Weatherby. For him or her, maybe - for others it is way too high. The OP also asked " If you were on a trophy hunt for big bulls, could you really come up with a better choice?" If a hunter can't handle the recoil, as many cannot, there are many choices that would be better for those individuals.

My hunting buddy of nearly a couple of decades is so crippled up from diabetes, even after shoulder surgery, he can barely lift his arms to shoulder height and recoil is a significant problem due to the pain it causes. Moreover he has limited physical stamina so minimizing weight is important. If he was choosing a rifle for " a trophy hunt for big bulls", a .300 Weatherby would be a poor choice for him.

The B.C. for the 130g TTSX .308 bullets (.350) is more than adequate for the ranges at which my daughter should be shooting and she shoots them well. If she proves over the summer that she can handle she can handle a 150g BT or AccuBond load we'll move her up to that. If not, I'm not worried about her using the 130g TTSX.

As to the sniper book, the stores in Meeker don't have much of a selection and it seemed (and was) much better than the alternatives. The author was a British sniper in Iraq and the book dealt his experiences there including a lot of stuff I found interesting that had nothing whatsoever to do with snipers or sniping. I'm sure you would have picked one of the many romance novels available on the store racks instead.

So nukes are the preferred weapon for girls and disabled hunters?

What is the BC of a nuke?

Have the men in white coats come yet?

Real snipers don't use nukes!

No wonder you gut [bleep] that elk!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

So nukes are the preferred weapon for girls and disabled hunters?

What is the BC of a nuke?

Have the men in white coats come yet?

Real snipers don't use nukes!

No wonder you gut [bleep] that elk!

You are the one that wants to take the hunter and the hunter’s capabilities and limitations out of the decision making process as to what is “best”. Do that and you’re just talking about killing elk, not hunting them. And yes, a nuke would do a much better job if one wasn’t “too cheap” to employ one.

Even the OP recognized the need to include the hunter’s capabilities and limitations with the question “Why undergun yourself with lesser armament, or overrun yourself with higher recoil?” If factors like rifle weight and recoil are not an issue (per your “lowest common denominator” comment) I would contend that a .50BMG loaded with expanding bullets would be a better choice for hunting elk than a .300 Weatherby.

In the real world, as opposed to the fantasy world you seem to live in, the capabilities, limitations, needs and wants of individual hunters must be included in determining what tool is best for them as individuals. The answer will not be the same for everyone.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hmm I wonder if North Fork makes a crappy BC bullet for a 50 cal?

CH, I'm not the one living in fantasy land, as I own and can shoot a 300 WBY. I know you're jealous.

My suggestion to you is YOLO

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hmm I wonder if North Fork makes a crappy BC bullet for a 50 cal?

CH, I'm not the one living in fantasy land, as I own and can shoot a 300 WBY. I know you're jealous.

My suggestion to you is YOLO

As a matter of fact, North Fork does make a variety of .50 caliber bullets, in weights up to 600 grains. Having used the 350g FP in my .45-70 for deer and elk I can attest they are hammers.

Jealous? Not hardly. Only a fool wastes their time with such nonsense. If someone gave me a .300 Weatherby I’d probably just trade it for something I want. A 20” .300 RCM in a lightweight synthetic stock would be nice.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If someone gave me a .300 Weatherby I’d probably just trade it for something I want. A 20” .300 RCM in a lightweight synthetic stock would be nice.

How many paragraphs would it take you to explain the logic for owning one of those?

Page 54 of 70 1 2 52 53 54 55 56 69 70

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 58 invisible), 2,357 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,638
Posts18,455,306
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.