-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 70 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 69 70
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I do like smash-mouth cartridges but I also like light rifles; therein lies a conundrum requiring some compromise.

Though I've taken relatively few elk (eleven or twelve), they've mostly been between four and five hundred yards.

It'll be a 300 B at 8.5 lbs all up for me this fall or a 6.25 lb 284 all up at back-up; or vice-versa. I like 'em both.

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by bea175
Shoot what you can handle and hit them where they live and you will be killing yourself getting a Bull out of the mountain. The 300 Wby is a great hunting round if you can handle the recoil, most newbe's can't and would be much better off packing a 30-06 or 308 for Elk.

Exactly.. All this gack is fun, but what most guys really need to be doing is practicing with their elk rifle on a more consistent basis......

I kinda dig the 300 Wby my son was gifted this past year from my elk hunting partner.. grin

[Linked Image]

Scotty, that is a damn good shooting 300 wby. Reminds me of how mine shot 180gr. ballistic tips and partitions. Why in the hell I ever got rid of it, I'll never know!!!! I don't know what your son ended up with, but mine was built on a really nice m1917 sporter. I sold it to a guy on the other side of the river about 40 miles from where your elk hunting partner lives...

It's an older Japanese MK5 that was my elk hunting partner's fathers rifle. He passed it along to my son last year. Hoping he gets a chance to use it this Fall in Wyoming for elk.

I have had a 300 Wby in a Vanguard, didn't like it. I like what this MK5 does, so it is has kinda gotten me back on a 300 magnum kick recently. I think a 300 Win or Wby 70 Classic Sporter would be the one. I am dieing to put a rifle in a Legend stock and can't think of a better one than a 300 mag in a Classic.

Semper Fi
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by BarHunter
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Have we collectively figured out yet that the 300 Weatherby knocks the snot out of bull elk? smile

As will a bazooka. smile

Same thing, same results.

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then think that half of the people are stupider than that" - George Carlin
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The .300 Wby Mag is a classic big game cartridge. But it won't kill any deader than other big game cartridges. Mr Heinz Neaf knows this to be factual as did the new world record Yukon bull moose, the largest of the three species of North American moose, that he killed with a .303 British.

Nothing living will remain in that condition sans its heart and/or lungs. Without oxygenated blood to any big game animal's brain, it will die. That is an unalterable biological fact.

What hunters want to use to kill their big game is up to them. But they'll lose me in a maze of convoluted logic when they try to tell me that their cartridge of preference is best. As evidenced by Mr. Neaf's new world record moose, a .303 British will kill big game just as dead as a big magnum provided a bullet from it stops oxygenated blood flow.

God only knows how many head of all North America big game, and big game on other continents (including elephants), have given up their ghosts to the .45/70 Gov't using black powder loads.

Last edited by SansSouci; 06/15/15.

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
***US President James Madison***
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by SansSouci
Without oxygenated blood to any big game animal's brain, it will die.

Apparently, some humans can function without it.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Why sansucki keeps coming back is beyond me. He has been repeatedly exposed as John Melvin Davis, the nutjob convicted felon (AKA Gunkid, google his federal penitentiary resulting exploits)....

Slow learner..

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Why sansucki keeps coming back is beyond me. He has been repeatedly exposed as John Melvin Davis, the nutjob convicted felon (AKA Gunkid, google his federal penitentiary resulting exploits)....

Slow learner..

All the bottom feeders resurface about politicking time Mac.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

Slow learner..

All the bottom feeders resurface about politicking time Mac.

Gunner, that 348 you got from me would make a hell of an elk rifle. I'll bet those 250gr. barnes will knock the chit out of one...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Damn right BSA, got her landing in beanie cap sized groups at 200 with the factory bolt peep, they're running " a kind to the old steel" 2350 fps. wink

Trump Won!
IC B3

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm happy with the old 06.
If I step up to a magnum it's going to be 338

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
If someone is looking for a M70, pm me.

C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've had three shoulder operations, I'm 56 and won't use a muzzle brake. For me a .300 Weatherby is not an option. If I could shoot one without the attending pain and not being able to lift my shoulder for two weeks then it might be an option. So in my situation it is not the perfect elk caliber. I'll take a plain jane .270 Winchester or 30-06.

Last edited by cdb; 07/08/15.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
When hunting anything in the mountains I would rather have a light weight rifle to a heavy ole Mark V with a 26" barrel.

Caliber/recoil range around 7RM, 300 WSM would be maximum for me.

Sizzling velocity used to be preferred before the scopes got better. Now you can twist a turret or use a ballistic style reticle and extreme velocity is no longer required for long range hits.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

While obviously most associate this cartridge with the the same named rifles, it need not be. The 300 B can be made or found in other packages, some not as heavy as the Weatherby models.

B
Bighorn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by StrayDog
When hunting anything in the mountains I would rather have a light weight rifle to a heavy ole Mark V with a 26" barrel.

Caliber/recoil range around 7RM, 300 WSM would be maximum for me.

Sizzling velocity used to be preferred before the scopes got better. Now you can twist a turret or use a ballistic style reticle and extreme velocity is no longer required for long range hits.

My .300 Wby Mk. V. now weighs 8lb. 14 oz. all up, with McMillan Edge stock, Talley LW mounts, and Leupold VX3 2.5-8x scope. I carry it easily all day, with just enough weight to help tame the .300 recoil.
There's still no substitute for high velocity with a high BC bullet to minimize wind drift.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had an edge break on me shooting a 300 wm with 200gr partitions. After that experience, I wouldn't feel confident putting one on my mkv 300 wby. Is it a weatherby pattern or other?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My son guided elk hunts for an outfit in Wyoming last year. I've always appreciated the art of asking questions as a teaching tool for younger ones.

I asked my son about rifles he'd seen in camp. His reply......One man had a 30-378 weatherby mag and this is what I want to get.

I asked my son if he new what the most successful hunter in camp was carrying. Sons reply.....6.5 sweede

Son.....I want you to think about that!

Shod

Last edited by Shodd; 07/18/15.

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Shodd
My son guided elk hunts for an outfit in Wyoming last year. I've always appreciated the art of asking questions as a teaching tool for younger ones.

I asked my son about rifles he'd seen in camp. His reply......One man had a 30-378 weatherby mag and this is what I want to get.

I asked my son if he new what the most successful hunter in camp was carrying. Sons reply.....6.5 sweede

Son.....I want you to think about that!

Shod

If the guy carrying a 30-30 happens to run across the elk and the others don't, it doesn't matter what the hell they are carrying. Same thing I guess, but that's not what the OP wanted to know. I guess, the "best" rifle/cartridge for elk hunting is the one that gets the job done... laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
BSA, I suppose I was working at answering the question in a non threatening or offensive way.

I'll attempt to answer the question in a more direct way.

The 270 and 30/06 have killed more elk than the 300 weatherby has dreamed of. If you gave 50 folks a 300 weatherby and 50 folks a 270/30/06 the 270-30/06 crowd would be more successful every time.

Magnums are comprised of hype, recoil, and muzzle blast that is far removed from any real world gain.

The reality is recoil and muzzle blast are the exact components that seem to contribute to poor shot placement according to bench rest and competition shooter also backed up and confirmed by a large number of hunters whom do more than read books and charts.

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
Page 7 of 70 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 69 70

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

588 members (19rabbit52, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 16penny, 160user, 17CalFan, 46 invisible), 1,991 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,234
Posts18,447,787
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.