-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I often think of Rusty's way with words..."a williwaw on the Tanana".....[Tanana is an interior Ak river pronounced 'tan-ah-gnaw'] makes me chuckle a bit.....especially since we just experienced a williwaw last week.

Rusty was a war correspondent in the WWII Aleutian Campaign and he is frequently quoted in Jim Rearden's recent book [a good read] on those battles.

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by VernAK
I often think of Rusty's way with words..."a williwaw on the Tanana".....[Tanana is an interior Ak river pronounced 'tan-ah-gnaw'] makes me chuckle a bit.....especially since we just experienced a williwaw last week.

Rusty was a war correspondent in the WWII Aleutian Campaign and he is frequently quoted in Jim Rearden's recent book [a good read] on those battles.

very true--the man really understood how to arrange words. while not exactly word for word, he might write something like:

i watched the clouds comb themselves to tatters on the high sierra... or;

this drama began on a wild rose september morning in alaska's ice ribbed knik river valley... or;

after they killed the blue wolf, as they headed to the kill, he wrote something like; the wind howled a lonely wilderness requiem... or;

by the time we finished skinning the animal, venus hung like a lantern on a peak in the evening sky...

i had read that he was a war correspondent during ww2, and also at some point worked as a smoke jumper as well.

no matter what a person's take on his writing is, for me it was real simple;

i liked hunting and shooting from the time i was about 5 years old, and as i grew and began to read, his stories re-enforced those desires, and whetted my appetite between outings--as a teenager and not yet able to drive, i passed hundreds of hours in the field, walking the hills, ledges, and rimrocks, looking for any suitable game to hunt--for me that was paradise, and the more difficult the weather was, the more i enjoyed it. (that carried over into my construction work--to this day i have always loved working outside in below zero weather--my work colleagues don't understand it, nor do they feel the same way--but to me its just another way to "feel" the beauty of lonely winter hunting walks...)

jim rearden--now that's a name i haven't heard in awhile. it recall several articles by him for outdoor life i believe, about around the mid 70's, and a typically focused on alaska...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rearden is getting up in age but still writes from his home in Homer, AK. He wrote extensively for Alaska magazine and his most popular book was probably Alaska's Wolf Man [great read]....

Rusty Annabel also hung out in LaPaz, BCS, Mexico and I have stayed at his favorite hotel and fished the same waters....I think I read some where that he had a duplicate family in that area.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by 458Win
As I said at the beginning of this thread Annabel was the Alaskan Capstick. African PH's, as a rule, don't think much of Capstick's tall tales but most all of them give him credit for boosting the sale of safaris. Alaskan guides, as a rule, feel the same about Rusty. Both men were gifted story tellers.

I agree both men were gifted story tellers and I enjoyed reading them both years ago.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
interesting to learn this--i remember some stories about the tigre and ocelot hunting from mexico.

thank you for the tip on the rearden book--sounds like it will be a really nice read...!

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
IC B2

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

631 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 64 invisible), 2,610 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,692
Posts18,456,554
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.