-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
How durable have you guys found merino wool stuff to be? I bought a few Minus 33 garments and while I love the comfort and properties of the merino, I'm not too happy the two shirts have ended up with holes. The first was a light weight t-shirt that developed a dime size hole in the back I found after hunting season. I called Hanks clothing and they sent me a new one two days later. The second one is a mid weight long sleeve that has a little hole started in the wrist. Both had been washed one time and had seen two weeks hunting with a backpack on and several NFL Sundays on the couch. Am I just unlucky or do I need to spend more and get better stuff?

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have found the heavy weight (Expedition?) Minus 33 to be much more durable than their lighter weight models. That said, I've got small holes in lightweight Smartwool and Icebreaker shirts also.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have three or four smartwool shirts that have been worn a couple times a week for close to two years. Each washed a couple times a month.

A few have had a little bit of pilling, but none of them have any holes or thinning that I can see.

Last edited by rl11; 12/12/11.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by rl11
I have three or four smartwool shirts that have been worn a couple times a week for close to two years. Each washed a couple times a month.

A few have had a little bit of pilling, but none of them have any holes or thinning that I can see.

Same here, washed my Smartwools a few times and some pilling already. Kinda sucks!

MtnHtr

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
In my experience the top brands (Icebreaker, IO/Bio, Smartwool, etc.) are close to one another in durability and noticeably longer lasting than others. One thing I like about IO/Bio and Icebreaker is that they're very careful about their wool sources so it tends to be consistent.

IC B2

C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've had more holes with Smartwool than others but that's probably cuz' I have more samples. I have an extremely lightweight Ibexwear that has developed holes after a fair amount of use. The weight seems to have more bearing than the brand (comparing Icebreaker, Ibex, Smartwool and Minus 33).

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My Smartwool lw top got a small hole after a few cycles of wearing and washing but nothing new in the last year+. The heavy(er) weight Minus 33 top I have Hasn't gotten any holes in it after a year.

C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Keeping it out of the dryer seems to help longevity.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
pulling off a wet superfine icebreaker t-shirt after a run caused a small hole in the back

also my superfine icebreaker leggings have developed a small hole in the knee after two seasons of use.

Lots of other lightweight wool and no issues.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by MtnHtr
Originally Posted by rl11

Same here, washed my Smartwools a few times and some pilling already. Kinda sucks!

MtnHtr
what exactly is "pilling" could you provide pics?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
The hairs of the wool pile up in little balls.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been using the Core4Element merino wool for about 5 months and so far have no issues with it. I wear the boxers and hoody just about everyday and so far they are holding up quite well.

The Kirkland brand merino blend wool socks are holding well too, I have switched to those for daily wear and got rid of all my other socks. I use to sweat quite a bit before but since I switched I no longer have that problem.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I got some lightweight Terramar wool bottoms from Sierra Trading Post. They didn't hold up very well. Several other brands have held up pretty well.

It's all in the reflexes.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CCH
Keeping it out of the dryer seems to help longevity.

Bingo...

That being said, the two Icebreaker samples I had, I wasd not impressed with. One wore out, the ohter I was happy to have a buddy steal when he came over bear hunting.

I've got a Smartwool henley that I practically live in, and its made out of iron as far as I can tell. I also have a Smartwool henley type sweater that replaced anything fleece I could ever put in a backpack.

Those are the only two brands i have any experience with.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Which Smartwool henley do you have that is holding up that well? I need some loose fitting, casual shirts that will take constant wear.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

670 members (1minute, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 64 invisible), 3,094 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,698
Posts18,456,728
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.