Print Thread
Hop To
L
Loggah Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
I have been trying to find out how the factory cowboy action loads compare in pressure to the old original black powder loads, the reason is i have a nice old Merwin & Hulbert no.3 pocket army i would like to shoot a bit and it was designed to shoot black powder only, anyone know how the pressures compare? thanks. Don

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Load your own BP loads, DO NOT SHOOT ANY smokeless loads in such a gun!!!!!!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

L
Loggah Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
I can do that! i was just wondering on the pressure difference on reduced loads,and black powder. I wasn't going to jump into anything. The pistol in the condition its in is probably worth around $3000 ,and my hand is worth a bit more !!! grin Dont want to blow up either, Thanks. Don

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The pressure spikes are way too high even in the reduced loads for CAS.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

L
Loggah Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Well thats about what i figured!!!! thanks i guess i can lod some up with black powder, 2ff or 3fff, im thinking probably 3fff in the pistol case, thanks. Don

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Loggah
Well thats about what i figured!!!! thanks i guess i can lod some up with black powder, 2ff or 3fff, im thinking probably 3fff in the pistol case, thanks. Don
I hate to rain on your parade but before you even attempt reloading Black Powder you need to get Mike Venturino's book...

http://www.mlventerprises.com/sixgun.htm

This book will give you in-depth information on the specialization of reloading black powder. To just load it like smokeless can be dangerous. I could tell you a few things, but it would be much better to just get the book.

That Merwin will crud up quickly. More so than a Colt. They were a very good gun in some respects, but their design is pretty intricate and they aren't as tolerant of fouling as some other designs.

Last edited by ColeYounger; 12/15/11.
L
Loggah Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Cole, I have reloaded black powder plenty of times for my older rifles, just not specifically for revolvers. I have a good friend who has reloaded tons of black powder shells,he used to own Republicmetallic over in Windham Maine, hes probably got some 44-40 loads kicking around.ya the Merwins tolerances are a lot closer then an old Colt or Smith , and everything is enclosed i could see where they would gum up quicker!! thanks grin grin Don

Last edited by Loggah; 12/15/11.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cole, I have reloaded black powder plenty of times for my older rifles, just not specifically for revolvers. I have a good friend who has reloaded tons of black powder shells,he used to own Republicmetallic over in Windham Maine, hes probably got some 44-40 loads kicking around.ya the Merwins tolerances are a lot closer then an old Colt or Smith , and everything is enclosed i could see where they would gum up quicker!! thanks grin grin Don
I'm glad to hear it Don and hope I didn't come off too strongly. When I first loaded black into metallic, I didn't even know that you shouldn't use your smokeless powder measure and thus, loaded quite a few shells with mine. Needless to say I now have a Lyman designed specifically for Black.

Merry Christmas.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
FWIW, I've had two or three Merwins over the years also, but never shot one. It would be pretty cool to. I'm always on the lookout for them at gunshows. They have a lingo all of their own "open-topped, scooped flute with skull-crusher handles," etc.

L
Loggah Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Cole, nope you didn't come across to harsh!!! just safety concerned! grin my buddy just got back to me hes got a bunch all loaded up with black powder, along with a buch of other loaded ammo he said he would give me,44 russian,45 schoefield,45 long colt!!! making a haul grin heres a few pictures of the revolver.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That is a beauty. And it has the aforementioned "skull crusher" grips.

L
Loggah Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Cole, I definitely wouldn't want to get hit with either end of it !! grin Don

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dang, that is a nice one!

Old cat turd!

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Amazing looking gun. There is a crowd in the States turning out new ones. I visited their site recently, but can't find it now.

I have used about 2000 of those WInchester Cowboy loads and they are a reasonably healthy load, but not ridiculous. They were good in my 44/40 Pietta clones and Uberti rifles and my 45 Colt Rugers, but seemed to lead heavily in the Piettas. Maybe the bores are .428 in the Piettas and the boolits are too small. Still work ok.

I have always been told that pre 1890 gun metals were a no go with smokless. I sure wouldn't be using smokless in such a neat (and old) pistol.

Last edited by FourFingersofDeath; 01/26/12. Reason: typo

"I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Cole, nope you didn't come across to harsh!!! just safety concerned! grin my buddy just got back to me hes got a bunch all loaded up with black powder, along with a buch of other loaded ammo he said he would give me,44 russian,45 schoefield,45 long colt!!! making a haul grin heres a few pictures of the revolver.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nice Merwin.

DF

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by FourFingersofDeath
Amazing looking gun. There is a crowd in the States turning out new ones. I visited their site recently, but can't find it now.

I have used about 2000 of those WInchester Cowboy loads and they are a reasonably healthy load, but not ridiculous. They were good in my 44/40 Pietta clones and Uberti rifles and my 45 Colt Rugers, but seemed to lead heavily in the Piettas. Maybe the bores are .428 in the Piettas and the boolits are too small. Still work ok.

I have always been told that pre 1890 gun metals were a no go with smokless. I sure wouldn't be using smokless in such a neat (and old) pistol.
I visit a cowboy site infrequently and they were taking bets on whether those replicas would ever be produced.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
They seem serious about it. Those guns are made with such tight tolerances that it would take some really good CNC machinery plus hand fitting to duplicate the manufacturing of yesteryear. That means an expensive manufacturing process compared with modern guns. Whether they can make them is one thing. Whether the final product can be offered at a price that ensures marketability becomes the question on the table. Start up companies fail at a high rate. Time will tell.

DF

L
Loggah Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Well my buddy from Maine came over with a bunch of Black Powder 44-40 rds for me ,i will shoot it then give it a thorough hot water and soap washing , then oiling, hate to have any springs get rusty. I think to duplicate these Revolvers would be quite a undertaking,even with todays hi-tech tooling. Don

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well my buddy from Maine came over with a bunch of Black Powder 44-40 rds for me ,i will shoot it then give it a thorough hot water and soap washing , then oiling, hate to have any springs get rusty. I think to duplicate these Revolvers would be quite a undertaking,even with todays hi-tech tooling. Don
I looked at a Merwin this weekend at a show and the old boy assured me it was one of only seven made. I wish I could remember the reasons it was nearly unique. It was a top-strapped gun with regular flutes...an Army. I think it was 44 WCF. Had about a 5" barrel, I'd say. Nickel. Pretty rough. A grand.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 222ND, 12344mag, 2003and2013, 10Glocks, 71 invisible), 2,553 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,176
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.