Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Assuming exhibition grade walnut? Dunno about such things, but I am looking to buy the rifle. Thanks guys.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That is a up to the buyer deal. Expect to pay a couple large to make one, but a guy like myself would not pay much premium based on the style of the stock. Rarely is custom work able to recover cost.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I love the old school roll over MC stocks. Reminds me when a custom build meant re-stocking a Mauser or 1917 Enfield when I was growing up and lusting after rifles.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I wouldn't put that thing on my rifle if someone gave it to me.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bea175
I wouldn't put that thing on my rifle if someone gave it to me.

Ouch. grin

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
sorry but never liked the Hollywood stocks .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Looks like a Richards Microfit stock. Exhibition Grade? Doubtfull. If it were, the figure would run into the forend.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think a lot of people take a look at a custom stock and make comments based on current styles, without having ever seen the stock in person, let alone put it up to their shoulder and looked through the sites or scope.

If your thinking of buying the gun try the stock on yourself, and if it fits and the gun shoots well for you go ahead and buy it and don't worry what anyone else says because they are not the ones that are going to be shooting it.

Pay what the rifle is worth to you in terms of the enjoyment that you will receive from its ownership.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'd put the wood at about $750, then add about 45 hrs of labor for fit and finish.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 270Mag
Looks like a Richards Microfit stock. Exhibition Grade? Doubtfull. If it were, the figure would run into the forend.

Seriously? sick I doubt that. They don't even offer checkering.

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
After looking at the pictures again, you're probably right, but not because of the checkering. Anyone can put a crappy checkering job on a stock (Richards, of course, does no fitting, finishing, or checkering). Actually, the heel on a Richards rollover is higher, so it could be an old Fajen or Bishop.

$750 sounds about right to build a stock like that one: $250-300 for the turned blank, $150-200 for the "embellishment", and the rest to fit and finish. Having said that, I wouldn't pay any more for this rifle than I'd pay for a nice old factory L-61 Sako. The custom stock isn't much (if any) of an upgrade over a factory Sako stock. The factory wood might not be as pretty, but the checkering is vastly superior.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I'd carry that Sako!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

O
O
In my opinion This strongly looks to be
a Roberts stock of long ago.

Definately very good wood and as far as figure
in the forearm you don't want anything but
straight grain figure in the forearm.
Checkering looks very well done.
I have built rifles myself and I would surely buy it.
Pricewise though, a pretty stock is only worth
it to the buyer that first had it built.
It was his love affair.

So for you its worth what you want to spend for your
satisfaction.
Don

NRA Benefactor Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Having just had a custom stock duplicated to match a companion rifle, I'm guessing that it would cost around $1,100 to have that one done again and done right. Mine cost that much to finish and checker, and I already had the wood and had the stock carved. Add that to the value of the barreled action. As has been said, the value is what someone who wants it will pay

In my case, I wanted what I wanted and the end product is certainly worth it to me.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Assuming exhibition grade walnut? Dunno about such things, but I am looking to buy the rifle. Thanks guys.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

That's a Fajen Aristocrat stock. They probably did the complete job as the checking pattern is identical to one from their 1970s catalogue.

I tell you what, Let me go dig up my circa 1976 catalog and price list and we will plug in those prices into an Online "inflation calculator" and see where we are in 2011 dollars.

From any professional maker, you are looking at minimum $500 for the blank(bought directly from the mill) and about $1,500 for just the labor( milled, fitted, finished, and checkered).

I'll be back in a bit with some 1970s prices figured into 2011 dollars. wink

Last edited by jim62; 12/16/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The checkering is not first rate, but the butt has some nice figure. There is certainly enough wood to take that rollover cheek piece off and thin down the flared pistol grip.

Provided there is enough wood overall, it could be taken down completely and still have a nice piece of wood to salvage and make a good looking stock.

If you like it as it is, it would be easy to buy it and go hunting with it, you may want to get a brown paper bag to put over your head just in case someone would see you.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Elitist!

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Well, thanks my recent refiling of all my reference material, I was able to put my hands on that 1978 Fajen catalog pretty quick. grin

Unless there were some other stock shops doing exact replicas of Fajen Artistocrat stocks with the same deluxe carved checkering pattern, I believe they did the work.

Here is the catalog I used. The January 1978 updated price lists are inside-
[Linked Image]

The back cover says it all-
[Linked Image]

The middle stock is an Aristocrat with the same special order carved leaf checkering pattern in the description. An important thing to remember is that Fajen had a very strict policy as to specially selecting wood for exact figure type and/or no Sapwood etc. They charged an additional of 50% of the semi inlet price of a AAA fancy stock for a special selection blank. Both of the feather crotch stocks on the back cover(top and bottom stocks) are listed as special selection.

Sooo, going by the Jan 1978 price list here is what the OP's stock would have cost direct from Fajen back then-

$306.00- Base price, fully finished Aristocrat stock
$63 - 50% of semi finish price of AAA Fancy for special selection feather crotch wood
$12 - Contrasting tip and caps
$16.50 Pad fitted -
$50- Deluxe hand rubbed wood finish
$125 Carved Checkering pattern
-------------
$572.50 1978 dollars.

Adjusted for inflation in 2011 dollars $1,986.45

http://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

Include shipping in that and my original "educated guess" of $2k is pretty much right on the money..

Last edited by jim62; 12/16/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
jim62, ding, ding, ding!!! We have a winner. thank you so much for your time and effort. More knowledge for us! I really appreciate it!

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
No problem SAKO..

That catalog is one I have had since 1978. I used to buy quite a few semi inlets from them and EC Bishop back then with my hard earned teenage $$.

Used to make trips up there in the Fall and prowl their stacks of blanks for my semi inlets. I never could afford their AAA special selection stuff, usually looked through their A and AA grade blanks and found a few "sleepers". Marty Fajen(Reinhart's Daughter in law) and Fred Wenig (the plant manager then) were wonderful and very tolerant hosts.

They treated this farm boy from OK like some Texas oil millionaire who flew in for a $2,000 stock fitting.. I was offered a "5 cent plant tour" each time and when I needed to look at blanks, Fred would take me to the blank warehouse and point the the pallets full of graded wood and say "Knock yourself out, kid.. Just put everything back the way you found it when you are done."

It was like a family funeral when I attended their liquidation sale in 1998. Larry Potterfield (the owner of Midway USA) managed to destroy in less than five years something it took Mr Fajen his whole lifetime to build- not to mention destroying the entire economy of Warsaw ,MO.
Damn shame.

IMHO, stocks like that one are American Classics in their own right, regardless of what some folks here might feel about the styling. I would remind them that 60 years ago, factory original deluxe Winchester High Wall Scheutzen rifles were restocked because the shooters of that time thought they could make something to make something "better" out of them. It was a tragedy that so many of those rifles were destroyed by such misguided customizing. It would also be a tragedy if something were done to alter that Fajen stock. For someone who likes a Monte Carlo stock with a close grip, it's just fine as it is.

Last edited by jim62; 12/17/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 61 invisible), 2,377 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,320
Posts18,468,439
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.