Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
ds76 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I was looking at buying a model 70 in the near future.

Does anyone know if the MOA Trigger will interchange with the old style model 70 trigger on the FN SPR "Model 70" rifles? Are the receivers on the SPR line the same as the other model 70 rifles?

Interesting that the more expensive versions of the model 70 uses the old style trigger and the lower cost winchester model 70 and lower end tac rifles use the MOA trigger... or at least I assume that is what the 3 lever triggers are the FN TSR or whatever they are called.

Thanks.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That is a great question. My understanding is that the two are the same platform. Soooooo, it should interchange just fine. Hopefully an expert chimes in. I'm curious myself. Personally, I think the MOA is the perfect hunting trigger. My M70 '06 breaks at 3.5lbs with zero creep or over-travel. I love it. Perhaps they use the old style on the FN because they are not meant for hunting?

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Fifth
That is a great question. My understanding is that the two are the same platform. Soooooo, it should interchange just fine. Hopefully an expert chimes in. I'm curious myself. Personally, I think the MOA is the perfect hunting trigger. My M70 '06 breaks at 3.5lbs with zero creep or over-travel. I love it. Perhaps they use the old style on the FN because they are not meant for hunting?

I don't think they do and I am going by something I saw posted by a Gunsmith a few months back. Redneck should chime in because he loves the new MOA triggers grin

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Nope, you cannot interchange them. The FN SPR trigger is exactly like the one in my FN PBR XP. It has the oldstyle model 70 adjustable trigger. You cannot interchange them. There is a reason redneck doesn't like the moa......These are 2 totally different animals guys: Moa vs oldstyle model 70....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Fifth

Man, you need to get a clue. WTF???

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Man, you need to get a clue. WTF???

Exactly what about my post suggested I knew the answer? I was/am seconding the OP in curiosity. I only knew that the two guns are similar/same platform. Interesting.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I believe that a trigger on a police or military sniper rifle should be good enough for a hunting rifle. I am building a .338 Federal on a SPR action that I picked up.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Agreed that the "old style" is good enough for hunting, and then some. I can only assume Winchester went with the MOA trigger in order to have a heavier pull on a hunting trigger that wasn't too difficult to use?? I don't know. Considering how the safety works I suppose they could have left well enough alone. The FN patrol rifles seem they would be tinkered with a lot more than a hunting rifle. But maybe not. A lot of variables here.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by skilakjim
I believe that a trigger on a police or military sniper rifle should be good enough for a hunting rifle. I am building a .338 Federal on a SPR action that I picked up.

Those triggers are great for a hunting rifle. Your SPR is just a winchester model 70 classic action that FN used for their build. Great rifles by the way. Nothing wrong with using them for a hunting rig. I used my FN PBR XP this year on my long range buck. Saying the rifle or trigger is not meant for hunting is ludricous as far as I'm concerned. Winchester has used these triggers in their rifles for years......

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Nope, you cannot interchange them. The FN SPR trigger is exactly like the one in my FN PBR XP. It has the oldstyle model 70 adjustable trigger. You cannot interchange them. There is a reason redneck doesn't like the moa......These are 2 totally different animals guys: Moa vs oldstyle model 70....
Correct...

The dumbazzes at Browning 'fixed' what wasn't broke..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Saying the rifle or trigger is not meant for hunting is ludricous as far as I'm concerned. Winchester has used these triggers in their rifles for years......

I think you've made an inference from my questioning post. Is the FN Patrol rifle marketed as a hunting rifle? Certainly not in my opinion. Manufacture "logic" does not mean I agree/disagree with it. I've hunted with and owned the so-called old style trigger for years. Of course I THINK that the old trigger is just fine for hunting. Just a little on the sensitive side. Calm down.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Redneck
Correct...

So the idea of taking a SC M70 with MOA Trigger and changing it into a M70 Classic with the Classic Trigger won't work ? Those Mother [bleep] Bastards !

Does Jewell Triggers offer a trigger to replace the SC M70 MOA Trigger ??

Last edited by US_Patriot; 12/16/11.

"Then join in hand, brave Americans all!.....By uniting we stand, by dividing we fall"
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by US_Patriot
Originally Posted by Redneck
Correct...

So the idea of taking a SC M70 with MOA Trigger and changing it into a M70 Classic with the Classic Trigger won't work ? Those Mother [bleep] Bastards !
I couldn't have said it better... laugh

Does Jewell Triggers offer a trigger to replace the SC M70 MOA Trigger ??

At this point, I'm not sure - I've only had one or two of the new SCs in the shop - and I wasn't impressed with either of 'em..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
D
ds76 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
So are they making two different model 70 receivers? One type for the winchester m70 and the patrol(tsr)line. A second type just for the SPR line?

Back when they closed the New Haven plant and discontinued the model 70 winchester the SPR line was still up on the FN website. So where were they made back then and now?

Seems weird that they would make two different types.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ds76

Seems weird that they would make two different types.

Not really. It may be FN has contracts with LE or other military outfits.

"Then join in hand, brave Americans all!.....By uniting we stand, by dividing we fall"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I will send an email to the Jewell guy Larry Scott at GreatScottShooters.com and see what's available.

I've bought other Jewells from Larry. He is fast and has great sevice.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I got a reply from Larry the Jewell guy at GreatScottShooters.

Here's what he said:

"Marc, Jewell doesn't build for that rifle and probably wont. Larry"

This is not what I was hoping to hear. sick frown

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Ok I just got a reply from Jeff Dodge at Timney Triggers.

He said " not at this time but; Check back in 6 months."

Let's hope they produce a unit to replace the Win MOA...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by US_Patriot

Ok I just got a reply from Jeff Dodge at Timney Triggers.

He said " not at this time but; Check back in 6 months."

Let's hope they produce a unit to replace the Win MOA...

Guys, there's noting really wrong with the MOA trigger except it is an enclosed type and some people just don't ttust them. IE: getting dirt, dust, grime, moisture/freeze, etc. etc. The triggers themselves arn't a bad unit. The pull can be lightened with one of "ernies" springs, there's little to no creep, very little to no overtravel. It's a good trigger but some feel it may not be as trustworthy out in the field and is not as easy to work on as the old style model 70 trigger. This is the reason timney and jewell haven't produced one yet. They've been out for about 4 years now, if they were really that bad I guarantee there would be a replacement out by now.....My vote always goes to the oldstyle trigger for its simplicity, durability, ease to work on, and proven over the years how reliable it is out in the worst of conditions. I've got a couple of rifles with moa triggers on them and they work great for my intended purpose. Back to the OP's question, the FN SPR is a great platform to work off of. I've seen some of the FN PBR/SPR barreled actions that have been phenomenal for accuarcy. Good luck with it...

BSA MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

665 members (10ring1, 1234, 19rabbit52, 1badf350, 007FJ, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,721 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,694
Posts18,456,642
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.