Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
[img]http://flic.kr/p/aQxMhv[/img]
I told my three year old daughter this evening that I was going hunting and she begged to go. I had a good evening spot to hunt where a nice 8 point is using a trail every evening, but my stand was a ground blind next to a downed tree about 75 yards from the trail- I thought even with the 3 year old fidgeting and whispering we would be good and undetected from that distance.

So off we go down the road and not two minutes from the house we spot a small spike at 200 yards. Hmmm what to do? Not having a deer in the freezer yet, I chose meat over potentially much better horns and we started stalking closer. It took a while to stalk 100 yards closer (a three year olds stalking steps are really short! lol) But I was proud of her being quite stalking and whispering and stopping when the deers heads popped up. A hundred yards closer and at a fenceline we are as close as we can get, about 100 or 125 yards. No problem for a scoped bolt gun. I braced against a wooden fencepost and squeezed the shot off. He high kicked and took off running, jumping two fences. We watched him run off for 75 yards before he went out of sight. I mentally marked where he was standing, his path of departure and the tree I last saw him by and started easing down there after a brief high high five and hug session. We were both excited! We walked over to the tree where I last saw him. Hmmm no blood trail and no deer visible off in the open woods below me. Now uncertain of a hit at all we went to where the deer was standing at the time of the shot. Nothing.

Well long story short, we searched for an hour and actually saw the deer and it's companion bound off about 30 minutes post shot. No blood, no nothing indicating a hit. I just plain ol' missed. (after describing the shot to my Dad (TN Rifleman on here) he thinks I had my rifle stock braced too hard against the side of the fencepost without a hand or something else soft between the stock and post, throwing my shot off. I've shot a long time, but didn't know not to do that! Ooops!

We had a great time anyway, she was a little bit upset that I missed. When I broke the news to her she said "But Daddy I wanted to eat that deer and make jerky!"

Watch out 8 pointer, she wants to go back tomorrow evening! LOL
[img][/img]

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What a cutie! Great story, good she knows where meat comes from. Amazing you can tote a three year old along with you. The two of you have some great times ahead!

My Next Husband Will Be Normal- T. Shirt
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks MissTreated, she does know where her food comes from, and has already put many a vegetable seed in the ground. We did have to walk further than I planned due to me missing that deer (I of course had to make sure and we wound up off in a deep hollow. I had to carry her back out!) The great times have already started, but this day, her first hunt, was special to me.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
[Linked Image]
Little E's first hunt by tn griller, on Flickr
The picture didn't come through on the first post, sorry!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's cool. My daughter was 3 years old the first time she went with me. It was fun and "challenging" at the same time. LOL....

Now with even more aplomb
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Neat story. My son was in a backpack and elk hunting with us at 8 months, and had hunting and fishing exposures that most in this country only read about as he was growing up. Today, if it's not connected to an XBox, he is not interested.

Last edited by 1minute; 12/20/11.

1Minute
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
1Minute, all you can can do is take them and show them, I would bet though that he will be back out there when the x-box gets boring!

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
That picture is priceless! I did the same thing with my kids and my daughter(now 13) shot her first 8 point this season!

Great job Dad!

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
TN,
Thank you for posting that story and picture! You made my day.

Johnny $

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Looks like there will be lots of fun hunts ahead for both of you! Thanks for sharing the picture.

"Kids don't remember their best day of television."
IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks all for your kind comments to my story..... I am looking forward to future hunts with her. This weekend we are making snack stick jerky together...with venison of course!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm proud of them both! BTW, a few days after the hunt with "E" my son bagged a nice 5 point buck that he has made some awesome jerky from.

μολὼν λαβέ
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Awesome.Fun times. My daughter is now 16 and hunts by herself. (Of course myself or one of my hunting buddies aren't far away)..... grin

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TN_Griller
[Linked Image][/url]

Now that picture is an "11" on the 1-to-10 cuteness scale!

John

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks John! I think I'm going to have my hands full in a few years!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You mean you don't now? If, not, she's not doing her job! I need to talk to her!

My Next Husband Will Be Normal- T. Shirt
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Or not! LOL.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
awesome. great start on the dad of the year award! you know, what you've got there is very special. mine's two and a half now, and more interested in shoes (help me, anyone?) but she had to have boots cause daddy wears boots to work. so i've got an in now....

seriously, griller. super proud to read this story. printing it out and bringing it home!

"Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak arabic, love music, and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers, and warriors." ~Hunter S. Thompson

I'm still clinging bitterly...how about you?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
654 members (1lessdog, 2500HD, 257 mag, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 10gaugemag, 71 invisible), 2,762 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,108
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.