Print Thread
Hop To
M
mtmuley Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Anyone build their own trap? I'm looking for a way to build one for my kids so they can practice in the basement when the weather is crappy. Thanks, mtmuley

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Well, I have heard of guys going to LOWES and buying "Ductseal" It's a plyable, clay like thing. Put it in any box you like. It will absorb the pellets and no ricochet.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, I built a box out of plywood, with the back tapered to deflect the bullets down. I lined the tapered back with a piece of 11ga steel. I staple a piece of cardboard (pizza box lid) on the front and tape the targets to it. My first iteration I filled the bottom with an inch or two of sand. This didn't work that great as the sand got kicked out from the pellets impact, allowing the pellets to chew up the bottom of the trap. I shoot in my basement at about 21 feet, with springer air rifles.

My second go around is the same box, but I ditched the sand and put a chunk of old carpet on the bottom, and on top of that, I laid a couple of old Midway catalogs (the heavy 4 color versions). This seems to work better, as the pellets lose most of their energy chewing through the paper, and I can just vacuum the mess out occasionally.

I have shot about 3000 rounds or so in my basement - it's great practice for sight alignment and trigger control, and makes for some fun competition with my hunting partner.

Regards,

Tom
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My experience is that BB's require a different backstop from pellets. They tend to bounce back off of a lot of things. Since I shoot entirely BB's, I use a couple big sheets of styrofoad insulation backed by some plastic sheeting as a backstop and one of those cheap foam block targets from Walmart as the actual target. Before I used this, I used a big cardbard box that was about four feet square and about four inches thick, with a garbage bag of peat moss inside. BB's went thru the cardboard and garbage bag, but stayed in the peat moss. It got a little messy as it wore out. The big thing with BB's is having the target soft enough that they don't bounce back at you. At best they sting, I won't say the worst, just watch the Christmas movies. I always wear shooting glasses when shooting BB's.
Bfly

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
Well, I have heard of guys going to LOWES and buying "Ductseal" It's a plyable, clay like thing. Put it in any box you like. It will absorb the pellets and no ricochet.

That's what I did for our indoor trap. Plywood box w/ ductseal in back and then I cut a groove in front for a clipboard to slide up/down to hold the targets. Just cut a large opening in the clipboard to shoot through and use stock (heavier) paper for targets. Works great!

"Kids don't remember their best day of television."
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You don't want to angle the backstop down for a pellet gun. My son is a competitive shooter. The trap I made for him is 24" square using 2x4s for the sides and to stabilize the bottom. I nailed a piece of flat sheet metal on the back. It has cardboard on the front with the target pinned on. The pellets hit the metal, flatten and drop to the bottom of the trap. The same trap will stop BBs but a few will kick out harmlessly.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 16penny, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 62 invisible), 2,224 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,209
Posts18,466,132
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.