Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Old fashioned 100g powerpoint will do the trick on a red stag every time. Nothing 'small' about a .243.

"A person that carries a cat home by the tail will receive information that will always be useful to him." Mark Twain
GB1

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by 6mm
Here is a picture of my son taken last year with a LARGE deer he took with his 6mm Remington shooting 90 gr. Nosler E-tips. It was one shot at 350 yards and this large deer only went about 20 yards and tipped over. The hole on her left shoulder is that wonderful E-tip exiting!!

[Linked Image]

Nice cow! and congrats to your son.

dogleg bolt and laminate stock in 6mm? Which model rifle was he using? Or is it a custom?

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
J
J
I hope you don't receive a visit from Fish & Wildlife regarding the "Large Deer." That's a cow elk!

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JPerryE
I hope you don't receive a visit from Fish & Wildlife regarding the "Large Deer." That's a cow elk!

Ya Think?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JPerryE

It's gotta be a deer because a .243 would bounce off an elk! grin

Islam is a terrorist organization.

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
If you want to see a fair whitetail buck taken with a .243, take look at our website's new photo gallery, on the home page of www.riflesandrecipes.com. Eileen took the buck about a month ago with her new .243, a semi-custom Husqvarna that I bought off the Campfire classifieds earlier this year.

The thing is, Eileen has been resisting trying the .243 because so many people think of it as "the lady's rifle." Of course it worked fine, even on a 200-pound buck. After her buck was dead, I reminded her that she'd killed several fallow deer in Ireland four years ago with a Heym in .243--all with one shot, using Remington Core-Lokt factory loads.

About the only people I've known who apparently have trouble killing deer with the .243 Winchester are some gun writers.

JB,

That deer is a [bleep] PIG! I'd love to bump into a whitetail with bases like that. Tell your wife congrats.

Merry Christmas,
Travis

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
jb- what is the mauser shown on the deer in the pic of you following the one of eileen's buck?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Travis,

I'll pass the congratulations along!

How'd your season go?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
mjbgalt,

That's my custom 6.5x55. The action is an FN Mauser, with a 3-position Gentry safety and Timney trigger. It's got a 21" stainless Lilja barrel installed by Charlie Sisk, and was Cerakoted by Doug Burche. I did the stock many years ago (when the rifle still had it's .270 Winchester factory barrel) from of a Fajen Classic pre-turned blank of medium-fancy "California English."

It weighs exactly 8 pounds with a 2-7x Leupold Compact, and shoots real well!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
my custom swede does NOT look that good smile

what a nice rifle. bet it does a nice job.

thought charlie was not a big fan of building swedes lol

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
It took some arm-twisting to get him to do the rebarrel job. Very soon in the conversation he said, "John, the ------- dimensions are all over the place!"

John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
With the right brass, they will shoot.. Great looking rifle. As a side note, wife has never had issues with her 243, nor my nephew with a custom Mauser I gave him in 243. Althought mine does not quite look that good.

Happy Holidays

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by mathman
You know, all joking aside, the .243 is a great whitetail killer. Some folks go about killing them with .300 Winchester Magnums, and more power to them, but deer don't require that much killing.

Last weekend a friend's young daughter cleanly killed a buck with a 243. At the skinning shed I asked the assembly how wives, daughters and young boys do so well with a 243, but as soon as a boy's beard starts to come in he needs a bigger rifle?

I never got a good answer.

Certainly not an original question, I've read it here many times. But it was fun to ask. grin

Ya know, my dad (75yoa) sits in a teepee style deer blind and bitches every year how tight it is inside to move around with his A-bolt/.280 Rem. He has a sweet little Ruger M77 carbine in .243 that I keep telling him to load up some good ammo for and try on deer. He refuses stating "It's too light and I don't feel like chasing deer all around the swamp because of a bad hit." I truly think he just doesn't want to betray his beloved .280.

Last edited by brinky72; 12/22/11.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Well, we have eight pages of proof that the .243 is a great Whitetail round. I have one in a Ruger M77 NIB that I bought for my kids for when they are ready to shoot a centerfire. I have so much confidence in it that I am planning on trading it at an upcoming gun show. The boys that I hunt with have terrible luck with that round. We lost another one this season that was shot with the almighty .243. It is becoming a real tradition around here. I know it is a great cartridge but I am having none of it.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Guess I'll have to quote Phil Shoemaker: "Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship."

Substitute .243 for .30-06...

John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
AMEN-MULE DEER.rio7

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
M D - yes indeed, the 243/6mm s are reliable , deer killers. I would have go thru my records to be accurate, but I've killed several w/both cals.

I know I sound like a broken record about bullets BUT early on in my hand loading I found Hornady bullets to WORK.

Normally I don't shoot heavy for cal bullets but the 100 gr Hornady Ils work dependably & pass thrus are to be expected IME.

For DEER the Hornady 100 grers work so well I don't feel there is a need for a mono bullet.

For mule deer (animals) or larger I can see the monos being better or preferred.

A. Good bullets. B. Shot placement = Dead deer.

Merry Christmas
Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Guess I'll have to quote Phil Shoemaker: "Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship."

Substitute .243 for .30-06...

Now that is good stuff right there.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Well, we have eight pages of proof that the .243 is a great Whitetail round. I have one in a Ruger M77 NIB that I bought for my kids for when they are ready to shoot a centerfire. I have so much confidence in it that I am planning on trading it at an upcoming gun show. The boys that I hunt with have terrible luck with that round. We lost another one this season that was shot with the almighty .243. It is becoming a real tradition around here. I know it is a great cartridge but I am having none of it.

What bullet?
What shot placement?

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
My daughter's first deer last year shot with a .243 Win factory Remington 100gr Corelokt ran about 20 yds shot through the heart

[Linked Image]

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 2,317 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,657
Posts18,455,635
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.