Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Found a sporterized 1895 Chilean Mauser in a pawnshop .It's in 7x57. After reading so many positive screeds about the 7x57 in these forums, I'm tempted to check it out . How strong are the actions on these 1895's, compared to say , the Mauser 98? The bore looked good but the rest of the rifle looked a tad rough . Thanks, Mountainjam

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 1895 Mausers are weaker than the 98. Safe loads have to be reduced accordingly. I wouldn't sink money into one, but if it is in acceptable condition as is go for it.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A 7x57 is a 7x57 is a 7x57 - That Chilean M95 should have been made in Germany by a VERY respected maker, Ludwig Lowe & Co - and if the headspace is still within limits, take any commercial loads available.

They cock-on-closing, rather than the Model 98's cock-on-opening, but it DOES make for smoother bolt operation.
Aftermarket triggers & safety, if not already present, are a snap.

It's does not have the M98's 3rd safety lug, nor gas relief holes & FP interlock - but if factory and/or mild handloads are used, it shouldn't make much difference.

I LIKE some sporterized rifles - provided the prospect has enough "meat" that I can un-bubba it with some judicious filing, rasping & refinishing.

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wish I owned one of the carbine versions.

"If what I say offends you, you should hear what I don't say."
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I do have one of the carbine versions and it is the smoothest Mauser'93-'95's I've ever owned.I cut my teeth on the small ring cock on closing rifles in 7x57 and can say that they are very nice rifles and are stronger than people give them credit for. Remember guys these same guns were rebarreled to 308.Never heard of one blowing up but I don't want to own one either.With a good bore...which mine is pristine,it will take any load easily I would think outside of the Hornady light magnum loads.I load 51.0gr of RL19 in another old '95 I have w/no problem using 139gr bullets at 2850fps.I have three of these rifles and I'm going to try and make one of them into a Mannlicher. powdr

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I do have one of the carbine versions and it is the smoothest Mauser'93-'95's I've ever owned.I cut my teeth on the small ring cock on closing rifles in 7x57 and can say that they are very nice rifles and are stronger than people give them credit for. Remember guys these same guns were rebarreled to 308.Never heard of one blowing up but I don't want to own one either.With a good bore...which mine is pristine,it will take any load easily I would think outside of the Hornady light magnum loads.I load 51.0gr of RL19 in another old '95 I have w/no problem using 139gr bullets at 2850fps.I have three of these rifles and I'm going to try and make one of them into a Mannlicher. powdr

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Here's one I found at a local show.....complete with B&L Balvar 8a. It handles any factory load and I keep my hand loads reasonable.....so no problems. It really likes 175 gr. bullets.

[Linked Image]

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
And another one I found. Not an 1895, but a VZ24 in .257 Roberts. It was pretty rough cosmetically and took some work to get it to where I wanted it.

[Linked Image]

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Nice rifles akpls. I really like that '95 on the bench!

When running the bolt from the shoulder, I think that the cock on closing method is superior (faster) on rifles that have a long firing pin fall as on Mausers. OTOH, the rifles with a short firing pin fall, model 70,77,700,etc. are better cocking on opening.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

1895 Chilean. Fajen stock. Rebarreled with a Douglas and with a Timney trigger installed. Kept it at 7x57. I really like it for wandering through the woods, deer hunting.

Fast Ed

Define your manhood not by success, but by significance.
NRA Benefactor
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
nice little rifle. I have an untouched Chilean carbine, missing a barrel band, sitting in the back of the overflow closet....the stuff that won't fit in the safe....that hasn't been fired in probably ten years. need to do something about that.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
And for what it's worth, ALL Loewe made rifles are pre Jan, 1, 1899 antiques. No FFL or 4473 needed.
http://www.empirearms.com/pre-1899.htm

.....civilize 'em with a Krag
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fast_Ed
[Linked Image]

1895 Chilean. Fajen stock. Rebarreled with a Douglas and with a Timney trigger installed. Kept it at 7x57. I really like it for wandering through the woods, deer hunting.

Fast Ed

That one is pretty much a perfect version of reconstructing the military to a sporting rifle, circa about when I was born. If you ever decide you need to sell it, please contact me here -- I would be extremely interested.

Thanks!

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Many yeaars back I had an M93 Mauser in 7x57 that some small British gun shop had made into a very nice lightweight sporter. I used it for a while, then sold it because of the supposed weakness of the action along with the 95 and 96 Mausers.
If I understand it correctly, it was Kimber that took those 93's that were chambered to the .308 and made sporters by sticking them in Ramline stocks. At least that's the way the one I saw was set up. I also read that Kimber had the H.P. White Laboratory proof test them to make sure hey were safe for the .308 round. Apparently they passed. I'm thinking that the lack of the third lug and pressure relief holes in those rifles is what scares people off more than anything else.
I do know that the older I get, the more I like light weight rifles. There are times I wish I'd kept that old 93 sporter. It had the look of the .275 Rigby without the name.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
To Dennis,

Sorry, but it will not be for sale. I got this one from my F-I-L. It will be handed down to one of my two right-handed sons. I did the re-barrel because the inside of the old one looked like the surface of the moon. I also did the Timney trigger because the military trigger was awful. Otherwise, the stock and action were left as I received them. It is a great rifle to carry and quick to point and shoot. Those are the other reasons it won't be up for sale.

Fast Ed

Define your manhood not by success, but by significance.
NRA Benefactor

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 53 invisible), 2,671 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,032
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.