Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Sell it or keep it?? I just picked it up on trade looks like new condition.Just can not decide if I should keep it or not !?!? Has a great feel to it,light enough, great looking rifle.Hard for me to be excited about a 30-06 but I do like running some 165 accubonds through them, Maybe some RL17..

1 and done
BP-B6

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Shoot it,that might help you decide;but be prepared to keep it afterwards.

Last edited by Cruiser1; 12/23/11.
zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have one, the reason I like it most is it makes me look good on the range and in the field. Super accurate , low recoil, a stock that suits me, cheap practice rounds that still accurate, and the ability to place bullets well on big game makes the 06 look like a real hammer.........which it is!

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
These 85's sure have a great feel and balance. I really like the Mag too. Action is super smooth !

1 and done
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
If you decide to sell it please let me know. For some reason I think I need one.

Dink

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have tempted by this exact rifle a few times now. As that little beaut sports a trim 22" barrel, light enough & the more I think it over the more I think I will probably finish my hunting with an 30-06 & 9.3x62. ....The 06 is just sooooo balanced!

Taking my rifle for a walk
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I love the 30.06 caliber and the Sako rifles are as good or better than any production rifle on the planet BUT I never have been able to warm up to the clamp on scope mounting system, I always thought it a shame that with such a finely made rifle this is the best system Sako engineers could come up with?? plus the Sako rings and bases are very bulky, heavy and too high for my taste not to mention very expensive even if you go with Talley or others they are all pricey except maybe leupolds joke.............Good luck.............Hb

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Not arguing with you VaHillbilly, but I hear this ring argument a bunch, and I don't get it. I've had the optilocks on a Tikka 695 going on 13 years now. They've never blinked, moved, etc. They are tough, stay where you put 'em if you know what you're doing in the first place, and I love the inserts that are easy on scopes, alignment, etc. Then there's the old, what I call "original" Sako rings without bases that clamp right on. There's never been a tougher, more reliable setup than this. A 40mm scope, with these medium rings, mount real close to the barrel. What more could you ask for? Find both of these used/mint for under $100 all day long.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I think at this stage of the game Sako believes the tapered dovetail a trademark of the brand. Yes the Europeans like a taller larger obj scope than here. The cost of the rings is trivial since we're talking about $1400-$1900 rifles.

zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The dovetail arrangement for scope mounting needs a bit of thought before it is dismissed as inferior. During the machining operation of the action a jig is used with an automated drilling process to put 4 holes in the action. Are these holes in direct alignment with the bore, are the chamfered holes in the mounts centered or are they a bit sloppy from tooling wear?
The dove tails are cut in one operation and are parallel to each other, even if they are slightly off square with the bore it is the same amount off square, scope adjustment will make up for this. scope rings have best chance for perfect alignment with this system. Less variables the better and the 4 screws introduce variables. Never had a problem with the dove tail arrangement on sakos or cz's

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by 340Wby
I think I will probably finish my hunting with an 30-06 & 9.3x62. ....The 06 is just sooooo balanced!

That's exactly what I did 85's in 06, and 9.3x62, with McMillan stocks - hard to beat.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
What do the Finnlights weigh?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JRS3
What do the Finnlights weigh?

S actions 6 3/16 lbs., SM/M actions 6 3/8 lbs., L actions 6 13/16 lbs.

zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Originally Posted by 340Wby
I think I will probably finish my hunting with an 30-06 & 9.3x62. ....The 06 is just sooooo balanced!

That's exactly what I did 85's in 06, and 9.3x62, with McMillan stocks - hard to beat.

me too, except i went 9.3x66

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I really like how on the sako's and tikka's you don't need a base. It's 4 less screws that can come loose and eliminates a part.That is a bonus to me.

1 and done
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
What's wrong with Leupolds ring for sako's ? They seem fine to me.With the design of the taper of the groove, the ring can only get tighter.

1 and done
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Furprick
The dovetail arrangement for scope mounting needs a bit of thought before it is dismissed as inferior. During the machining operation of the action a jig is used with an automated drilling process to put 4 holes in the action. Are these holes in direct alignment with the bore, are the chamfered holes in the mounts centered or are they a bit sloppy from tooling wear?
The dove tails are cut in one operation and are parallel to each other, even if they are slightly off square with the bore it is the same amount off square, scope adjustment will make up for this. scope rings have best chance for perfect alignment with this system. Less variables the better and the 4 screws introduce variables. Never had a problem with the dove tail arrangement on sakos or cz's

The problem I have with them is the lack of flexibility in moving the position of the bases/rings. Someone should market some sort of self-centering adjustable dovetail base. You could then take advantage the entire length of the dovetail.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have owned more than a few Sako rifles and also have never had any trouble with their clamp-on scope mounting system but I can't imagine this system being nearly as secure as one that is actually screwed to the receiver, I have read a few Sako horror stories on the campfire that related instances of scopes sliding off Sako rifles rings bases and all, an African PH wrote that he had seen more than one Sako rifle loose it's scope while standing up in a truck rack. I can see how this might happen to a scoped Sako rifle, or the guy who related the story where he was on a horseback hunting trip and was sliding his rifle back in it's scabbard only to watch in horror as his Swarovski scope went careening down a rocky slope, whether these stories are true or not I don't know but I can see how it would be possible for this to happen with this design, I also noticed that Sako didn't go with this system when they designed the new A7 rifle, I know Tikka uses a similar tip-off type system but I have no experience with Tikka rifles, Tikkas by most accounts are very accurate but they still reek of cheapness in my book, too much plasteek for me..................Hb

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by highridge1
What's wrong with Leupolds ring for sako's ? They seem fine to me.With the design of the taper of the groove, the ring can only get tighter.
Under recoil I agree but if the scope takes a wrap from the front it could pop right off, this system doesn't seem very secure in my eyes. The reason I don't like the Leupold ringmounts is a little experiment I made with them several years ago, I mounted these rings on a Sako mod 75 with a 1" dowel instead of a real scope to test for frontal impact as I had my doubts about this system, I tightened the clamp on rings to 40 inch pounds of torque and it only took one decent rap from a 16 oz hammer too the front of the dowel and they flew right off, this was an experiment I came up with to see how the system would react to a hit from the front, as I said in an earlier post I never had any trouble at the range or in the field with the Sako or the Talley base ring set up but I also never tried this same experiment with ether of these, I only did it the one time as I was afraid of scratching the receiver of my rifle, I don't think one decent rap to the front of a dowel mounted in screw on ringmounts would have any effect though I have never tried...............Hb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Currently my favorite version of the Finnlight, the new Black Bear. Basically a black Finnlight chambered in 9.3x62 with Recknagel Sights and barrel band swivel mount, weighs 6 1/2 pounds.

[Linked Image]

Recknagel sights which are fully adjustable for both windage and elevation.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My favorite ringmounts are the new 1-pc Sako Optilock Ringmounts. If they fit your needed ring spacing, they are outstanding. Simple, uncluttered, good height for natural cheekweld and eye alignment, solid clamping, and a repeatable fit where the scope goes on and off the receiver like it were on a precision ball bearing rail.

[Linked Image]

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
604 members (2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 60 invisible), 2,424 guests, and 1,124 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,217
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.